Re: [learningfromeachother] Re: [holistichelping] Mungikis join the Pyramid of Peace!/growing peace, understanding roots

  • Coordinating Committee
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      hi Pam and all the others

      its rather unfortunate that Cod kenya and TT kenya in particular to have been so silent for so long, we are truly sorry for having kept you in the dark about us. It had been one very long and involving holiday for us here in Kenya for we had our general elction and that meant three election at a go. The elections were peaceful one, but the aftermath was as it has already been presented to the whole world. it really was unexpected , and the experience has been one new and traumatic for all of us here, and there is hope for mediations are going on, life is returning to some normalcy in places like Nairobi, the politicians are active calling for a ceasefire, peace and justice.

      We are mourning as a country the rather sad loss of two members of parliment through fatal shooting suspected to be assasinations. Down here at Tala, things are peaceful and life is almost 'normal,.

      We highly appreciate you Pam for the help you have been giving to TT Kenya. We know we have not been performing to your expectation, but as David might have informed you, we fell behind probably when we tried to bite more than we could chew and got ourselves into really big trouble with some disgrantled persons.

      You send us a sizeable amount ie ksh 5000.00 late last year, and we recieved it from David. We budgetted it appropriately and used for the benefit of the whole group.

      Attached is a copy of the budget as it was:- see TT Kenya Budget.jpg

      Last wednesday we had a meeting and managed to talk to the administrator Holy Rosary Tala, and even though she is still complaining of not having been paid of the balances owing to the workshop that we had, she still agreed that we can continue with our meetings so long as we pay promptly for online expenses. TT Kenya will therfore be having its first online meeting this year on the 8th february 08, just as you had hoped ie 2nd friday of every month.

      We have also managed to come up with a tentative budget to finish up the six month course now remaining three months:

      EXPENCSES FOR WHOLE GROUP:
      1. 26 Teachers using 13 computers for two hours - kshs 4, 680.00
      2. Fare for 26 teachers, 200*26*3                           kshs15, 600.00

      CORDINATING COMMITTEE:
      1. fare  5* 200.00 * 12 days                                 kshs 12, 000.00
      2. Online expenditure 60.00 * 5 * 12days               kshs 3, 600.00

      GRAND TOTAL:                                                KSH 35, 880.00

      We therefore highly appreciate the kshs 8,000.00 that you send us. it really is going to assist us in meeting some of the above expenses.

      We also are pleased to inform you that, Telecom Kenya has installed Fibre Optics medium upto Tala and will soon be operational, we hope soon we will have enough and sufficient bandwidth and throughput.

      Cheers
      Cod Kenya.

      Pamela McLean <pam54321@...> wrote:
      Janet

      I agree very much with your comments about stereotypes and use of language.

      We must be careful because the way we use words influences the way that we think.

      For examples If we are talking about violent young men who are Kikuyus who are attacking people who are not Kikuyas at a particular location. I do not think we should mention the word Kikuyu. Instead we should say violent gangs at the location. Then we will start to think of angry young enemployed youths... or whatever.. as the  wider groups, rather than thinking of tribal groups as the wider groups.

      For another example: I do not think they should be called warriors,  because that glorifies what they are doing and makes them heroes.

      Similarly we should not put tribal labels on the displaced people, or any kind of victims.unless it is essential.  Let us tell stories of Kenyans who have been displaced.. Some people who have tribal allegiances may read the reports. It is best if they think "this is a bad thing to happen to a Kenyan". It is bad if they think "Aha - the victim was not my tribe - they probably deserve this fate" or if they think"This is terrible because this person is my tribe so I will go and avenge them."

      Am I making sense with what I am trying to say here?

      Pam
      On 31/01/2008, Janet Feldman <kaippg@earthlink. net> wrote:
      Dear Rachel, Ken, David, Andrius, and All,

      This is indeed amazing and deeply heartening news, which brought tears to my
      eyes. Andrius and Rachel, I will send some funds to Andrius tonight for use
      on this initiative, for airtime, advertisements, a laptop, or whatever seems
      most pressing and important.

      There is much more to say, but it is late here, and I want to make sure this
      major victory has solid backing and support so that it can take root and
      grow.

      One thing I did want to mention (speaking of roots) is that this conflict
      needs to be understand in all of its dimensions, because otherwise we may be
      tempted to think of one or another ethnic group, issue, age group, or
      political affiliation as "the problem".

      The political aspect--the voting and its aftermath, and even further back,
      the one-party rule before the advent of multiparty democracy--is very
      important, but this alone cannot explain what has happened.

      Issues related to land, the colonial past (favoritism of some tribes over
      others), poverty, lack of opportunity- education- hope, ethnic clashes,
      HIV/AIDS, hunger: all of these play a role. So many young people face what
      appears to be a bleak or uncertain future that it is little wonder there is
      deep frustration, fear, and a sense of hopelessness and despair.

      This can quickly turn to anger, violence, and the host of behaviors we have
      seen these past few weeks, something also true for adults.

      It is extremely important that we understand the complexity of what is going
      on, or we will not be able to truly address the issues, or see "resolution",
      peace, and harmony emerge from all that has happened. What we can ask
      for--immediately- -is a cessation of violence and killing as a way to address
      grievances and frustration, fear and anger. We can ask for non-violent means
      to be used to address the issues, and we (Rachel and her team) have made a
      giant leap forward in that regard.

      The other things to remember are that: 1) all parties to this conflict
      (whether political or tribal) are responsible for what has happened, and
      what will happen 2) the "language" that we use to describe people and
      situations is also important, so that we don't start to "pigeonhole"
      (stereotype) people, as this is just what is happening now in Kenya.

      Kikuyus have risen up in a number of places in part because they were the
      first targeted a few weeks ago. Now some of those who were killed and
      displaced are killing and displacing. This is what so often happens in
      conflicts: fear leads to an "us vs them" viewpoint, which often leads to
      violence, hate, revenge. That is why giving people alternatives to violence
      is so important. Realizing, however, that we alone cannot provide the
      opportunities, jobs, education, and better life which so many seek and
      need...that will only happen when nation-building can again take place.

      It is hugely heartening to read that so many youth do want to talk, to be
      heard, to communicate, to play, to be moved by art, to listen, to agree to
      meet for peace.

      Rachel and team, I want to make sure that what you are doing is spread far
      and wide, both as a story in its own right, and also linked to our
      collective work here. Please keep sending reports, and know that we are with
      you every step of the way.

      With lots of love and greatest gratitude for your indomitable courage, hope,
      and faith in the "angels of our better natures", Janet