RE: [learningfromeachother] David Mutua - Peace bus and family in Naivasha

  • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008
      The military is firing blank rubber bullets from helicopters to people in Naivasha. What a shame. This is NOT the Kenya I know and this injustice of identifying tribes was never a problem. All tribes lived in harmony. This is like ethnic cleansing. It is just because of 2 people. The have devastated the country, caused an exodus of people out to Uganda, which relies heavily on Kenya for things like petroleum and food. NGOs got food to the folks in Naivasha, but that was a drop in the bucket. Mainly Kikuyus live in Naivasha area and many had to walk miles to get to the safe zone. It has been alleged that the fighting which is in Kibera is carried about by gangs, financed by the 2 key people. The gangs are nearing Nairobi and people are scared. That so far has been the safest area - the metropolitan section - except for the parks. There are of course road blocks towards Nairobi.....but they are manned. Money can buy you a lot of privileges. On the other hand the gangs have been asking for protection money. This is NOT the Kenya I know and grew up in. We were the most stable of African countries with a high tourist rate. Everyone wanted to visit Kenya.....now they are trying to escape from it. I feel ashamed.

      Asif

      "In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer