ginger group needed to help rural teacher in Nigeria

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      I am looking forward to learning from other people in this group and
      from other groups connected to learningfromeachother. I hope to learn on
      my own behalf and also on behalf of others - such as the teacher I
      introduce below who needs to learn about ginger.

      The teacher, Veronica Bahago, has turned to the Internet to seek
      information, and I have been asekd to help. Meanwhile Andrius has begun
      to gather people to join this group - so I now share Veronica's request
      here, as I previously shared it with another group that I have been
      active in for some time.(The UNESCO/IIEP Open Educational Resources
      Community.To join, send a message to virtual.university@....)

      The challenge is to learn various things in order to help Veronica. We
      need to find relevant information, and find ways to present it in an
      appropriate way, so that it is accessable for her and of practical use.

      This could be our first real learningfromeachother project. Please read
      the email below and consider getting actively involved.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hi Pamela,
        It was great to speak with you by phone! and to get your letter.
        I also started replying. But for now I will simply share my notes that I
        wrote as we talked. I was trying to write how our response might unfold
        as we assist a learner who wishes to learn more and more.

        I have set up a page for the Ginger project at:
        http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?FindBetterWays/Ginger
        The next step would be to reach out to some of our other groups
        including holistichelping@yahoogroups.com

        Benoit, thank you for writing! Andrius, http://www.ms.lt

        [16:07:50] minciusodas A) A list of contact people who are able to
        shepherd one through the process of fruitful learning
        [16:08:03] … where fruitful learning means that our learning experience
        builds public assets
        [16:08:19] … that we and others can build on further
        [16:08:37] … so others can learn from it and we can go back to it
        [16:08:46] … and we can assemble people who might be interested to take
        this all further
        [16:08:52] … and we can justify the help given to us
        [16:09:51] … B) The Shepherd forwards and/or writes a letter to an email
        group where there might be a response
        [16:10:16] … C) The letter and relevant responses get tagged for the
        future as at:
        [16:10:37] … http://del.icio.us/AndriusKulikauskas
        [16:13:59] … they get exposure to more people
        [16:14:02] … and we have them on reference
        [16:14:06] … and we can see them accumulate
        [16:14:19] … and the crucial thing is that it's public
        [16:14:35] … D) Then we create a wiki page
        [16:14:40] … which may grow into a subwiki
        [16:14:49] … So a Shepherd has to find a logical place for a wiki page.
        [16:15:33] … It starts, let's say, with a wiki page
        [16:15:42] … where there may be just a few links and they may accumulate.
        [16:15:53] … And maybe it stops there. Maybe that's all that's needed.
        [16:15:57] … But maybe...
        [16:16:16] … E) The single wiki page grows and there's a person who
        wants to make a subwiki based on it.
        [16:16:25] … So there's a person interested in the subject itself
        [16:16:30] … and is willing to help it grow
        [16:16:56] … and has online presence and skills
        [16:17:01] … which not everybody has
        [16:17:08] … As this grows....
        [16:25:19] … F) They find a host, a leader of a working group, who is
        willing to host their project so it can build momentum through emails,
        and so they can assemble people
        [16:25:59] … G) They might start to create materials or tools that
        people can use, which might include people who can't participate so
        intensely online
        [16:26:36] … H) They find a clear mature leader whose working group
        (perhaps a new group) is able to host the email discussions that are
        relevant
        [16:26:56] … I) At that point, as the subwiki is growing, and projects
        are taking place, it makes sense to overview it all with a linear course
        [16:27:07] … So we use the wiki to develop a course
        [16:27:19] … J) We set up Moodle to deliver such a course
        [16:28:30] … Some novel things that you've done that we should learn how
        to do:
        [16:28:45] … 1) Have a group available for helping others as needed like
        Teachers Talking
        [16:28:51] … 2) Have on the ground courses.
        [16:29:01] … 3) Have online events where people help each other.
        [16:29:49] … And there is the challenge of how do we make this available
        to people who are mostly offline.
        [16:30:13] … Let's this might mean in practice.
        [16:30:19] … Yes, we could start with the Ginger project.
        [16:30:43] … Yes, send that to Learning From Each Other.
        [16:32:28] … http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?FindBetterWays

        "Learning From Each Other" is Pamela's key concept in life. Her
        investigatory question is "How do we use ICT to enable an educational
        system that lets self-directed learners be agents of their own
        learning?" Pamela is a school teacher in London with many years of
        experience with ICT for learning, notably in Nigeria. She is now
        traveling to Zambia. Helmut Leitner shares more about her at:
        http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?FindBetterWays/Learning/PamelaMcLean

        We spoke today for about an hour and a half. Pamela is very happy to
        host Paolo Pumilia and his colleagues who want to have permanent
        committee for organizing conferences about Open Content. Much of this
        content is for distance learning and self-learning. I also told Pamela
        about Maria Agnese Giraudo. I stayed with Agnese in Santa Marinella, not
        far from Rome. She is interested in local publishing of textbooks for
        primary and secondary students.