Open Source in Education Seminar

  • Kafui A. Prebbie
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2006
      I am really delighted about this news. I will encourage many more in my University to aprticipate.
      Pls read a brief write up of an event that happened today @ the
      University of Education, Winneba-Ghana . Thanks.

      The Winneba Linux User Group -WiLUG had a succeful Seminar on "Open Source in Education" for Senior Members of the Faculty of Science of the University of Education, Winneba-Ghana. This was jointly organised by the Center for Continuing Education (CCE) and the Teaching/Learning Instructional Innovation Group (TELIG) of the Univeristy and the WiLUG.

      It was well attended and very interactive.

      After the Welcome Address by the Head of CCE, the following presentations were made;

      "The Ripples Of Freedom: Open Source in Education"
      - Kafui A. Prebbie (WiLUG Team Leader): 15mins

      "OpenOffice: An Alternative?"
      - Gideon M. Anapey & Maura Cranny Ntow (WiLUG Members): 20mins

      "Edubuntu Tools: Education and Games Menu"
      - Gertrude Tsetse & Sandra Okyere (WiLUG Members): 15mins

      "Content Management System: KEWL-Knowledge for Web Based Learning"
      - Reuben Mereku & Laud Mark-Mills (WiLUG Members): 20mins

      - Mr. Victor Antwi, Lecturer, Dept. of Science Education: 10mins

      The Vice Chancellor, Prof. Jophus Anamuah-Mensah, was present and urged the faculty members to tap into the rich resource base of the WiLUG members.

      WiLUG at the end of the session,
      1. Promised to provide the technical support to set up the KEWL tool for the faculty.
      2.Unveiled and presented a new website of the University to the Vice Chancellor. He was very impressed and thanked WiLUG with passion aftter which he promised to launch it as soon as possible.

      More comming up soon on www.wilugghana.org

      Kafui A. Prebbie I kafui@...
      Country Director I oneVillage Foundation-Ghana I www.onevillagefoundation.org
      Team Lead | WILUG | http://www.onevillagefoundation.org/ovf/WILUG.html
      Coordinator I CatchITYoung Project | http://www.onevillagefoundation.org/ovf/projects.html

      Cell : +233-(0)20-8165057 | +233-(0)24-4429448 | Tel/Fax: +233-(0)-432-20900
      P.O.Box C0 1007, Tema, Ghana-West Africa

      Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:55:02 -0400
      From: Phil Shapiro <pshapiro@his. com >
      To: digitaldivide@ digitaldivide. net

      hi DDN community -

      this free linux basics class is worth noting. thanks for helping
      to spread the word.

      http://www.linuxbas ics.org/course/ start

      i came across this class from the http://lxer. com web site,
      which is my primary source for linux and FOSS news. (FOSS is Free and
      Open Source Software)

      - phil
      --
      Phil Shapiro pshapiro@his. com
      http://www.digitald ivide.net/ profile/pshapiro

      "Wisdom begins with wonder." - Socrates
      "Learning happens thru gentleness."

      1b.

      Re: free linux basics online course starting 10/19

      Posted by: "Maria Agnese Giraudo" mariaagnesegiraudo@...   mariaagnesegiraudo

      Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:43 am (PST)

      Thanks Pamela!

      Pamela McLean <pam.mclean@ntlworld .com > ha scritto: I think some people here may be interested in open source/open content.
      If so see email below.
      Pam

      this free linux basics class is worth noting. thanks for helping
      to spread the word.

      http://www.linuxbas ics.org/course/ start

      i came across this class from the http://lxer. com web site,
      which is my primary source for linux and FOSS news. (FOSS is Free and
      Open Source Software)

      - phil
      --
      Phil Shapiro pshapiro@his. com