Re: [learningfromeachother] Food and bees and honey

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006
      Sorry I can't keep up with all the emails at present.
      I have been thinking about the bees...
      Many thoughts...
      Briefly..
      Regarding ICT ( and the thread that links all our work) - communication
      is important.
      Ref bees and communication - they "dance" back in the hive to tell each
      other about sources of pollen....
      The ways that bee colonies function socially is also interesting, and we
      are interested in relationships. Their construction methods etc. are
      very sophisticated as well.
      Two of my contacts - David Mutua and Caroline Ifeka have good knowledge
      of beekeeping ( I have never kept bees myself, but when I lived in
      Cornwall my husband kept them - so I just know enough to understand some
      of the implications of what beekeepers talk about)
      Relationships between people and bees vary regarding how people get the
      honey - some people are beekeepers - helping the bees to produce honey
      as effectively as possible, valuing new swarms (at the right time)
      " A swarm in May is worth a bale of hay
      A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon
      A swarm in July - ain't worth a fly...".
      Some people simply hunt the bees, finding wild bees then killing them
      to take the honey.
      Various purposes of honey - not just a sweetener but also medical uses,
      I have heard that it is antiseptic and can be useful to dress wounds -
      but I am not confident of that information.
      There are concerns about how far bees fly to forage, and the
      implications of possibly foraging on GM crops if the beekeepers don't
      want them to....