Samwel - October, Dante - Nov, Jeff - Dec, Pamela - Jan?

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006
      I share with our Working In Parallel working group, where I think that
      Dante-Gabryell Monson could provide us much welcome leadership. Dante,
      please note also that TheBrain http://www.thebrain.com will soon be available
      for Linux. Also, Dante, let's think of a project that we might bring to Steve
      Cayzer of Hewlett-Packard. Andrius
      -----------------------

      Samwel, Janet,

      Thank you for your in-depth letters! It's extremely helpful to learn
      about your values and your wishes. That lets us move forward rapidly.

      Samwel, yes, let's have you lead a team on Soyabeans. Let's link that
      to wi-fi Internet access. The most important part of your work for me
      will be for you to find and describe the human values that they
      cultivate. Let's start by calling it "willingness to take risks" and
      then let's learn from you. We can rename it based on what you learn.

      Samwel, we'll feature Soyabeans as our October food story. However,
      please know that most of your work will be in future months. Now I am
      simply taking advantage of the fact that you are ready to start and we
      need a food to feature.

      Samwel, I can only guarantee you $100 at this point, and I will not
      send it yet. When I get the first payment from Greg Wolff, then we
      can write out our agreement and I can send you $500 for your work and
      $500 for your team. I will expect you to work part-time until March
      31, 2007. Also, as part of your work, I expect you to attend for us
      the World Social Forum in Nairobi, Kenya in January, 2007. Please
      focus now on your other work for Helmut Leitner and for Lucas Gonzalez
      Santa Cruz. Also, please keep writing about your values and your
      plans, that is very helpful and a good example for others.

      Janet, Thank you for detailed and helpful explanation. I'm glad that
      you can host Samwel's work at Holistic Helping. However, let's think
      ahead and make an ambitious plan for our lab's growth and how we will
      deal with it.

      Let's assume that we will have and encourage an explosion of email
      letters. I want everybody to be "thinking out loud" as much as
      possible. This means that we will certainly not fit well in any one
      group. Instead we want a network of smaller overlapping groups. We
      have made excellent progress in this direction.

      It is practically impossible to move people from one group into
      another. Therefore it is essential to assemble people into the groups
      that are the best fit for them. Please help me foresee what kinds of
      groups we will want so that we can start them accordingly now. For
      example, we will want to have a group for "wi-fi" technology. It
      would not be good to assemble "wi-fi" enthusiasts at Holistic Helping.
      Therefore we will want a new group and where we can engage people
      like Gary Bolles.

      However, it is not appropriate for our lab's business to have a group
      simply focused on "wi-fi". The reason is that our lab's assets come
      from putting people in the center, not technologies. A "wi-fi" group
      puts a drain on my personal energy and costs me dearly with no
      personal gain. However, a "Samwel Kongere" group organized around
      "motivation through sacrifice" gives me and our lab good energy and
      builds our assets. Because of Samwel's interests, that will also be a
      good place to assemble wi-fi enthusiasts and supporters, and possibly
      soybean enthusiasts.

      We'll be engaging hundreds of soybean enthusiasts and wi-fi
      enthusiasts. Where do we want to assemble them? Please, let's think
      about that.

      Janet, please consider, what would be the optimal traffic for a group
      like yours, Holistic Helping, where many participants are in Africa.
      Currently, you're getting an average of 2 letters a day, which is 60
      letters per month. What would be optimal? That will help me
      understand our options.

      Janet, also please consider, assuming that by next summer we will have
      10 new working groups with a strong presence in Africa, what are the
      topics, technologies, methodologies that we'd like to cover? For
      example, I imagine we'd want distinct groups for nutrition, community
      radio, Internet access, living with HIV/AIDS, crafts, raising
      children, adult relationships and so on in English and African
      languages. Certainly, there will be a lot of activity that involves
      more than one group, and there will be people participating in several
      groups. But each group should be able to get into a particular topic
      without restraining itself for fear of overwhelming others. Please
      think, what is your strategy for shifting momentum out of the more
      active groups and into the less active groups? My own strategy is to
      have the stronger groups host new activities but assemble new people
      at the new groups and gradually shift over the activity until the new
      groups are self-sustaining.

      We will be fostering and encouraging our independent thinkers to know
      themselves, their key concepts and investigatory questions, and then
      see if they might be natural leaders for such areas. Actually, in
      practice, we will find new leaders who are willing to host various
      topics because they are near enough to their key concepts, their main
      interests. That is the reason why I'm very concerned that we find
      close connections between crops and values. If there is a clear
      relationship between soybeans and "holistic helping" (and there may or
      may not be) then we'll be very wise for enrolling soybean growers into
      our Holistic Helping group. If they are at odds (which I suspect
      would be the case with tobacco) then we'll be entertaining disaster.
      I think that if we're all very clear about our values and our
      interests, and if we're good investigators regarding the crops and
      what they bring out in people, then we'll be amazed at how helpful the
      crops can be for organizing us around our values.

      I'm very glad for all the teams that seem to be naturally arising:
      - Samwel in October with soybeans and wi-fi, we'll start work at
      Janet's Holistic Helping, but let's assemble new participants at a new
      group around Samwel's value "motivation through sacrifice". Samwel,
      what would be the best name for your group? Is there a word or
      expression for "motivation through sacrificie" in Kiswahili or another
      African language?
      - Dante-Gabryell Monson, thank you for your rapid work and thank you
      to Steve for your interaction regarding the Reference Mapping. Dante,
      let's think through your vision and try to relate it to
      http://www.xigi.net (Kevin Jones, David Alan Boyd et.al.). You're
      triad would be Chocolate, Reference Mapping/Visualization Software
      (what term is best, broadest?) and your value "fostering paradigms of
      inspiration" (is that right?). I think it would be excellent if you
      might lead our existing working group "Working in Parallel"
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/workinginparallel/ which was originally
      for "tools for thinking" including visualization software. Does that
      sound good? Could we feature you in November?
      - Jeff Buderer, would December be a good month to feature your work on
      farmed fish - sustainability - George Chan's Integrative Farming &
      Waste Management? Yes, your Back to the Root working group would be a
      natural place to lead that.
      - Pamela McLean, Janet Feldman, let's slowly think of a triad for
      Pamela's "Learning from each other" working group, in January at the
      earliest. I suspect there's a connection between raising chickens,
      learning from each other, and interfaces (such as Moodle or Tiddly
      Wiki) that allow people of high bandwidth and low bandwidth Internet
      access to work together. I encourage us also to look for a connection
      with Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz's concern regarding a possible human
      flu pandemic arising from bird flu. My point is that chicken farmers
      are the ones who are interested to have the best information about the
      bird flu and it's connection to a potential pandemic. They are in no
      position to stop these processes. They are, however, in a natural
      position to collect and share the best information. So this would be
      a major achievement if we could assemble and leverage a network of
      chicken growers. And these flu topics are a good example of
      information that needs to be shared by people of different bandwidth
      environments.

      That's a good set of teams to start with. Let's see where there's
      natural interest as we build more teams. Please note that we feature
      one team each month, but our other teams are working as well! and our
      wish is that each have momentum in the long term with some related
      project. I will update our http://www.myfoodstory.com so that each
      team can be found, not just the current month's.

      Let's also start to think of people who might make great field agents.
      Samwel Kongere has provided a great example. My first priority is
      that these be people who know themselves - their key concept in life -
      so that we might learn about them and invest ourselves in them. And
      that these be people who are able to explore, investigate, able to ask
      questions that they don't know the answer to, but intend to answer.
      This makes it worthwhile for us to make the effort to work together.

      If we look at our list of participants at http://www.ms.lt (pull down
      the "thinkers" pull down) we can see who has been active, who has
      shown the ability to do research and to "work for free". These are
      the people who I wish us to focus on. And I encourage more of us in
      Africa, India and elsewhere to write about ourselves and our
      interests. Your letters are "work for free" that allows us to
      understand why we should work together with the long run in mind.
      Many people come to mind:
      - Ken Owino (Kenya) 8 letters
      - Leonard Boniface (Tanzania) 8
      - Tom Ochuka (Kenya) 6
      - ACTWID KONGADZEM (Cameroon) 4 - Who are the individual participants?
      - Masimba Biriwasha (Zimbabwe/Thailand) 4
      - Benter Oballa 2
      - Kennedy Onyango (Kenya)
      - Ibrahim Halkano (Tanzania) 2
      - Helen Mahoo
      - Charles Loku
      - Francis Opiyo Opiyo
      - Derick Odemba
      - William Wambura
      - Kafui Amenu Prebbie
      Also Jinan Kodapully in India, Hanan Taha in Egypt are welcome,
      including our participants in Lithuania and around the world.

      Field agents should be active at our lab and with a clear key concept
      and investigatory question before commitments are made. I will review
      and confirm our commitments to field agents. I expect each of our
      team leaders to organize their own teams.

      Please write to us, What is your deepest value in life, that includes
      all of your other values? And, What is a question that you don't know
      the answer to, but intend to answer? This will help us understand how
      we might best work together!

      And we should think, how might they grow so that they might be leading
      their own groups six months from now?

      Thank you to all for such a vigorous start! I'm very excited!

      Greetings from Cyprus,

      +370 (5) 264 5950
      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Dear Janet, Andrius, Maria, Jeff and all,

      Good to receive these rear comments from you, as I had committed
      myself to do the lead in one of the groups about my food story. I am
      going to do as our laboratory members entrust me with the work.

      I wish to inform Andrius that I am going to do the work on Soyabeans.
      ...and I go on to check and orient my team members. I am happy to be
      there. I think you can present our crop in November as we are already
      in October.Yes my concept is"motivation through sacrifice" and yes
      this is still making sense.Soyabean will be very meaning for me and my
      family it is a rear crop but people grow wit in Kenya. It fetchs very
      high prices here. My family, sells cereals and we mostly sell
      maize(corn), sorghum, Beans, Cowpeas, Cassava, but Soyabean is
      precious and popular to many here.

      Internet connection is also another important aspect which can help
      me through the hurdle of shortfall in commucation and wi-fi type of
      entrepreneurship is encouraging to me, do whatever viable for us and
      our Laboratory.

      Kindly know from me Andrius, that I'm working with so many people; the
      only hinderance is that they don't access internet some can start the
      work and leave on the way because they cannot sacrifice to the end of
      the Project, but given that you are giving them some motivation they
      will work and their reports can be got on the ground, Maria can tell
      you the group of youngmen we work with here.

      Janet, glad to hear your desire to make me lead HH, I always love your
      interjecting messages and this will automatically make me what I grow
      to be, This is a promise you gave to me in 2004 december and climbing
      ladder with me is better. I cannot forget the good efforts you are
      doing to find us up high, we combrades in Kenya. If you offer this
      chance to lead HH, I will automatically take the lead, if you desires
      while I am here to do the network for HH. I love your sentiments for
      me and Shanon.

      Jeff, Very much impressed with your mail and response to our group
      about me. Surelly the fast and foremost is to have an ICT center here
      in Rusinga and getting people to fund this project through your
      conections is appreciated. Earlier on before I knew Janet you were
      very much interested in Mbita but I do'nt know What happenned, I still
      hope that through this connection you will come back to doing the
      desired goal through onVillage.

      I hope we are working together for the betterment of our
      communities...Samwel.

      Dear Andrius and All,

      Thanks for your thinking about Holistic Helping and the Food Story
      project. I thought I would reply below some of your comments (in
      black), and would like to hear from others in this forum about their
      possible interest in helping with the Food Story project (forming a team).

      Franz's "Global Villages" and Janet's "Holistic Helping" are doing
      very well already and actually may be at their limit in terms of how
      much traffic they could bear, in my opinion, and also they are both
      working on a higher level (much like Direktorius as I do, linking up
      different groups).

      Janet: I understand that we don't want to "overload" any particular
      forum. However, I do not see much traffic at HH now, and a project
      like this could actually rivet our attention and be a worthwhile way
      to make an impact, which we hope to do. It could also help our
      members, many of whom are working at the grassroots and addressing
      issues related to agriculture, nutrition, health, ICTs.

      "Holistic Helping" as a concept involves an integrated and
      multi-faceted approach to issues, challenges, and projects, which is
      how the Food Story initiative is being conceived, so I think this
      would be a great fit. I'll address below what you've said abt working
      through HH in terms of a crop and technology.

      I think that HH could actually work at a higher level via this project
      (I'm not sure that we are there already), by which I mean
      investigating what "holistic helping" is about in a self-conscious
      way. The Food Story project is a great way to focus on both activities
      at "ground level" and also what is meant by the concept "holistic",
      especially as the project addresses a crop, a value, and a technology
      together.

      I also don't see myself or HH solely as a linkage-maker or networker
      only, at least not as that relates to being a "conduit" only and not
      an end-point. I am head of 2 HIV/AIDS and development organizations,
      one being the international wing of a Kenyan nonprofit which has a
      specialty in nutrition and agriculture. Not only could I/we benefit
      from the work going on in this project re knowing other stories, but
      we could contribute our own, and I could employ my networking
      abilities to find stories, as I have links across Africa and
      elsewhere, as well as being helped by others in my own work through
      the efforts they will make.

      I have been connected to many "food stories" through my work, and have
      helped to design our own "food story" projects (complete with links
      between crops-technology-values), so I think I'm in a position to be
      useful, even if I don't have time to lead a team. I am honored and
      appreciate so much your interest (Pam and Andrius) in me leading a
      team for LFEO, and if/when I have time, I will consider doing that,
      whether or not we have a team at HH working on this project. It
      wouldn't be a question of leading a team other than Pam's...I'd be
      delighted to lead one for her if/when I have time.

      I think such "cross-cutting" linkages can be effective: I could work
      for a team at another forum, while someone leads a team at HH (with
      myself in a more advisory role). This kind of cooperation is itself
      "integrative", and can be a great team builder, of the MS lab and its
      forums/orgs/members as a whole.

      The concept of "Holistic Helping" means to me that while I and we in
      the forum do help others (ie link them up, serve as a gateway, et al),
      it also means that we work on behalf of our own interests and needs as
      well. As a forum leader, I would like to have the ability to act on
      behalf of HH forum members re possible involvement in Lab projects,
      especially as these may be helpful to them and also to my work. In
      this particular case, I could be a mentor or director as regards an
      investigative team...which doesn't necessarily mean I lead the team,
      but to provide advice, feedback, support, and networking as needed for
      the team which works through the forum.

      As a "director" of MS, of course, there are different
      considerations--taking into account the whole Lab and interests of all
      members--so this is something to keep in mind with the different
      "hats" I wear, ie forum leader and MS "director". However, in this
      case, I think HH would make an excellent forum for this work, and this
      is why I have proposed it, mentioning others besides myself to lead
      it. In this case, I think I am acting as a director, as much as or
      even moreso than a forum leader.

      So it makes a lot more sense for their groups to serve as "gateways"
      where we can assimilate people into our culture and route them to
      where they might be most productive when that's not clear from the start.

      Janet: I actually don't think of HH primarily as a "gateway" where
      we assimilate people and then re-route them. I have understood it in
      part to be created for me to develop my key concept. And it has become
      a home for African members of our various forums too, who are all
      working on issues related to sustainable development.

      I do understand that it has "incubating" potential, and has served and
      will serve as a gateway too, which is great! From HH people may want
      to branch out and work in other forums as well, which is terrific.
      This cross-cutting approach is one of our strengths, though it needs
      to be handled with an eye towards confusion, overload, and other
      challenges which may emerge from this diffusion or decentralization.

      I see the HH forum, like the concept itself, as dynamic and
      action-oriented, a group which will also investigate what the term
      "holistic" means: what sorts of integrative programs need to be
      created to address issues and challenges, the balance between
      addressing individual needs and those of the group, of building
      sustainability at the local level and how that links to globalization
      and/or global issues (and "villages"!).

      The concepts and philosophies or principles of holistic helping being
      fleshed out through "action-oriented" work, in other words. I hope to
      do more of this at HH with other projects as they arise from our
      group...so far, it's been difficult due to lack of time, and wanting
      to meet immediate needs, but that is my longer-term goal (and one
      which will address working on my key concept more directly).

      It makes more sense for our resources to help groups that could use a
      boost of momentum, in particular John Roger's Cyfranogi, Pamela
      McLean's Learning From Each Other, Jeff Buderer's Back To The Root and
      Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz's Mejores Vias.

      Janet: I understand in one way what you are saying, but in another
      way, do not agree. Resources are very much needed by some members in
      HH, such as Sam, Kennedy, Tom, Helen, Lenny, Wendi, and others. And
      I'm sure they would like to contribute to a project into which they
      can sink their teeth...in more ways than one, haha!

      We might also conceivably start new groups around Markus Petz, Maria
      Agnese Giraudo, Dante-Gabryell Monson, Tom Wayburn, Rick Nelson,
      Samwel Kongere, Shannon Clark or others who might rise to the
      challenge, but especially in other languages such as Lithuanian,
      Spanish, German, French.

      Janet: again, I think this is fantastic, and I am especially excited
      abt the possible forum/group you mention related to new technologies.
      This is precisely what KAIPPG and others on the ground are
      experimenting with now, and using, need to know more abt and have more
      access to in the near future.

      And the HH forum actually started out organizing around Sam Kongere's
      stated interest in and need for an ICTs project...which led to linkage
      with Maria Agnese and others, something which is just bearing fruit
      now. So I'd love to continue that trend at HH, because every one of us
      there is interested in technology and its applications, and this is
      part of any "holistic helping" project in today's world, in my view.

      Also, something to consider for the shorter term--and getting this
      project underway in a timely fashion--is working within the forums
      which have both the need for and the presence and participation of
      members at the current time. AND focusing on "what people know" and
      can easily access re finding stories and jumpstarting this project.

      Sam, for instance, has some connection with "grains"--through his
      family's business--and may be able to gather many stories abt grain in
      a shorter time period than he can with coffee, which he perhaps has no
      direct connection to as a crop yet. This is not to say that he and
      Shannon shouldn't pursue "coffee" (which is just my cup of tea!!), but
      that--to produce something more immediately--it might be good to "go
      with" people's strengths, what they know and are familiar with already.

      My goal is that - as Samwel has - they learn to think in terms of
      their own values and investigatory questions so that we could be
      personally
      connected to them and they could also reach out to others and include
      them in our culture. This is a relatively low pressured work as they
      will receive the money upfront. It's also a chance for us to support
      local clusters around the world.
      Janet: this is a wonderful goal, and we should all encourage one
      another in this direction over the longer term! It may be some time
      down the road before we have eforums for everyone, and if everyone has
      an eforum where they explore their key concept before we have figured
      out the logistics of all this, it may be an overload of emails and
      info (which is not as beneficial to this particular project in the
      short term).

      So how to find ways in which we can all explore our individuals
      concepts, while working together and connecting with others on this
      project and more, would seem to be an important consideration.
      Perhaps we can start by discussing the key concepts of members within
      the already-existing forums, as this would help each of us, and also
      the general collective.
      Janet, if you were to host a team at Holistic Helping - which is a
      good thought experiment - then we would want to find a crop that you
      think brings out what "holistic helping" is all about (I think of
      something like the olive tree, which in the Mediterranean was a
      foundation for "civilization" because of it's great usefulness - for
      oil, soap, olives, etc. Is there a comparable multipurpose "holistic"
      crop for nutrition,
      medicine, economics, etc. in Africa? Soybean also comes to mind with
      its thousands of food products.) And also a technology that fosters
      "holistic helping" (you mention "community radio" which makes a lot of
      sense). That would be great!

      Janet: Soybeans is a good crop to feature, as is artemisia, and also
      tea, with which Kenya and KAIPPG have some connection. As for a
      technology, KAIPPG and others in Kenya and Africa w/whom I work are
      using a number of technologies in a holistic (multi-dimensional way).
      Radio is one, mobile phones another, as well as AV equipment,
      computers, both wired and wireless applications. Radio can be
      "wireless", so this is connection to "wi-fi". You're right that
      community radio is indeed holistic, esp. if there is a link between
      content users and producers, and a situation in which those making
      radio programs and those listening are sometimes one and the same, or
      closely linked.

      We need more wireless solutions (KAIPPG and most development orgs I
      know), which I would like to know more abt, esp. as to how this links
      with nutrition, agriculture, and income-generation, all subjects on
      which KAIPPG works, and around which we have both operating projects
      and future needs (especially related to what equipment we use and how
      to make it work, in settings of severe infrastructure deficiences...so
      the more info we have, the better decision-making and community
      development can result).

      So Sam's interests and goals--and to an extent his values--do seem
      akin to mine and to "ours" at KAIPPG, and--if so--we can work to
      develop this further, for our mutual benefit. This synergy and
      teamwork is extremely important, especially in situations of great
      need and challenges, and could result in finding some way to work
      together on the ground to address the "food story" in Kenya in a way
      helpful to all there, which could also have applications in other
      parts of Africa and the world.

      But I think that Samwel's values and interests are in a different
      direction. I'm organizing based on values rather than geography. Our
      different teams will be able to work together locally on the ground,
      but it's important to me that each tune into a particular value (such
      as "holistic helping"). Then it will be more meaningful to look for
      connections between teams, how they can work together.

      My suggestion, as per above, is based both on values and on geography,
      and is made partly in the interests of time and getting some
      short-term traction on the ground. I'd be interested to know from Sam
      whether he thinks his values are different from those of "holistic
      helping", I mean as a concept, and perhaps those values which seem to
      be embodied in our forum (based on the interests, work, and needs of
      members).

      Also, you and Samwel are quite possibly our strongest participants,
      and I don't think it makes sense to put our strongest people together.
      It's better to pair each of you with somebody who you can help grow
      stronger, and then have your two teams find ways to work together.
      That's my strategy but I appreciate to hear more if you think.

      Janet: again, I understand what you are saying, and thank you for the
      confidence and compliment! I think we have many strong participants,
      though, and that--in this case--the project itself should be a primary
      focus, ie what will advance it in the short-term now, ie to get it
      started. With these other important considerations coming into play
      (different teams, various factors going into team creation et al) as
      we move further along.

      If Sam, who is so active, works now with someone like Steve--who is a
      focal point (his forum and person) of this project--and Maria is there
      now at Social Agriculture too, that will be a good grouping, as all
      have strong participation and motivation, Sam and Maria know each
      other, and SA is an existing forum which can dive into doing the
      project now.

      I would also like to add that, for some projects, perhaps we should
      not be thinking in terms of "forums" to house "teams", but more who
      has interest, time, experience in working on this project, and pick
      *one* forum host (or possibly two) for this project. The "natural"
      one to my mind in this case being "Social Agriculture". That way we
      won't be generating as much mail from 5-6 forums, all working on this
      project, which is sometimes much harder to keep track of anyway.

      I look forward to your thoughts on the Chocolate project, what worked
      or didn't from your point of view, that's important to consider. But
      as far as "Holistic Helping" is concerned, I'm afraid that you're a
      victim of your own success, I would be hesitant to put resources into
      a group that I think is at maximum traffic (2 letter per day) for a
      subscribership with marginal Internet access, when we could be adding
      a new group and multiplying our possibilities for leadership and action.

      Janet: Thanks for your invitation to share thoughts abt the chocolate
      project, and I will do that at some point. For now, I--like you--would
      like to see this new project get off the ground first. I would ask us
      to consider the effect in mailboxes of setting up even more groups. I
      think we should consider designing this project so that it does not
      generate so much mail as to be onerous to a forum in any case.

      I would not expect every activity and communication of the team to be
      posted in a forum in any case (do you?). Rather, I would think it
      more helpful to have summary reports, or links to wiki spaces, and for
      team members to keep some interactions among themselves as 4-5
      individuals--except for the reports--as a way for people to keep
      abreast of what teams are doing, and teams to communicate with each
      other, without overloading the rest of forum members.

      All of this to say that I suppose we should think of your activity on
      a higher level as a Direktorius and what that might mean, for example,
      as your role in interlinking groups and moving momentum amongst them.
      That is my concern - how to shift momentum from our most dynamic
      groups (like Holistic Helping and Global Villages) to our less dynamic
      groups so they catch on fire, too. Also, I'm interested if you might
      work for pay because that might strengthen your situation for our work
      in the long term, and also, maybe it's good to challenge you! Thank
      you for all your devotion to all of us.

      Janet: Yes, I am happy to do that with you, perhaps not so much in
      this public space--which might generate more email, and mails people
      do not feel a direct interest in--though some sharing of this
      discussion process and the end result is fine, esp. if people have
      comment/feedback and want some input. I do understand where you're
      coming from and agree abt balance, energies, strengthening all groups,
      and similar considerations. And thank you for sharing these concerns
      and considerations with me and with us all.

      And on your other suggestions--Markus, Benoit, Rick, Chris, Shannon,
      and others--about who might get involved in the Food Story project,
      that's a BIG BRAVO, and hope to hear from all of these folks as to
      their interest and availability!

      With greatest thanks for everything you are doing for each and all of
      us, Andrius, and very best wishes and blessings to everyone! Janet
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006
        Sorry I can't keep up with all the emails at present.
        I have been thinking about the bees...
        Many thoughts...
        Briefly..
        Regarding ICT ( and the thread that links all our work) - communication
        is important.
        Ref bees and communication - they "dance" back in the hive to tell each
        other about sources of pollen....
        The ways that bee colonies function socially is also interesting, and we
        are interested in relationships. Their construction methods etc. are
        very sophisticated as well.
        Two of my contacts - David Mutua and Caroline Ifeka have good knowledge
        of beekeeping ( I have never kept bees myself, but when I lived in
        Cornwall my husband kept them - so I just know enough to understand some
        of the implications of what beekeepers talk about)
        Relationships between people and bees vary regarding how people get the
        honey - some people are beekeepers - helping the bees to produce honey
        as effectively as possible, valuing new swarms (at the right time)
        " A swarm in May is worth a bale of hay
        A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon
        A swarm in July - ain't worth a fly...".
        Some people simply hunt the bees, finding wild bees then killing them
        to take the honey.
        Various purposes of honey - not just a sweetener but also medical uses,
        I have heard that it is antiseptic and can be useful to dress wounds -
        but I am not confident of that information.
        There are concerns about how far bees fly to forage, and the
        implications of possibly foraging on GM crops if the beekeepers don't
        want them to....