I can join the MY FOOD STORY work

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
      Dear Andrius,

      Great to read your comments and all the rest of Information regarding the most highlighted response and a further plan for our extreme MS Lab. I tend always to think as an independent thinker and these are the roots which make me what I am, either in community or outside.  I treasure very much most of the inputs we get from you and Janet, for the combined prosperity of our mission of the global villages and the entire Lab of MS. The mail I’m responding to now is from you and the delights needs my in put………….

      I will start responding from them. I have to consider working for “My Food Story”
      as one of the 6 team coordinators. That would be extremely helpful and I could not miss to attend this wonderful piece of work included in our livelihood and as Africa mostly needs this input for upgrading the livelihood and her peoples. I am trying to learn something about our
       Tanzanian colleagues and including them in the work of MS Lab. First we must identify their interests. Thanks for looking for other opportunities for our Lab altogether, I am going to work for My FOOD STORY………………….and would be happy to attend the coming  World Social
      Forum in Nairobi, Kenya, January 20-25, 2007, http://wsf2007.org and represent our Lab and sign up people especially into our working groups. You can go on and plan what our work will be as assistants working online. I will appreciate working as an assistant for our group to help
       others. As I read from Janet she is already putting us in the pioneers of change….pioneers of Change is a better move for us too and we need know all about it..

      Regarding my travels to Europe considering what would be most

      Effective is vibrant, as you mentioned in your mail having a nomad getting me round is wonderful and touring Lithuania and having a glimpse of what our Lab does is appreciated. It isn’t just a matter of staying there but to stay to help and be helped. You know my weaknesses in IT can also be boosted while I am there as you proposed, this can make a wonderful tour for me and the groups I am working with. Touring
       villages is good for me as I need exchange experiences and would love learning why other communities are what they are and not us.

      Surely visiting Europe; Lithuania, Italy and other countries is what I have hoped for. Maria told me about you and always meeting you have been my thought, this have been my hope after I came across you and seeing what you do there for our Lab is a wonderful suggestion.  It will be another added advantage. Although the initial plan was
       to visit Maria in Italy and having you plan for this trip is because it’s destined to be for our MS-Lab.

      I have not finished the translation yet but hope to finish it sooner. Inform Helmut I am
       tuning the key words and I will send them to him after completion.
      Otherwise have another prosperous day and remember to send me your Cell phone No I need to SMS sometimes.

      Bye
      Samwel

      Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:
      Pamela, Yes, thank you for your thoughtful letter which I share.

      Indeed, Moodle and other online technologies for managing relationships
      between bandwidth rich and poor might be exactly what's relevant here,
      and something that you're definitely interested in. Another such
      technology is TiddlyWiki by Jeremy Ruston, http://www.tiddlywi ki.com
      which is a wiki that is based on JavaScript and stores all the data on a
      single HTML page that can be accessed and updated offline. Jeremy is
      working for Greg Wolff's UnaMesa Association and Greg is encouraging us
      to work together. I'm especially interested that he might adapt
      TiddlyWiki further for use offline and then synchronize as you suggest.
      Also, I will be developing a questionnaire- driven interface based on
      Helmut Leitner's ProWiki page formats and perhaps we can exchange data
      with TiddlyWiki, too. Jeremy, I Cc you and I invite you to join our
      Minciu Sodas laboratory's working group
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/workinginp arallel/ (send a blank message
      to workinginparallel- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com) which at our lab is the
      best place to work on such technological questions. I look forward to
      writing more and engaging you regarding our lab's work
      http://www.foodstor y.com for UnaMesa Association. Jeremy Ruston and
      Pamela McLean http://www.ms. lt/?thinker= Pamela_McLean are both based in
      London.

      Lucas, with your guidance as we develop such a channel for poultry
      people in bandwidth rich and bandwith poor areas to connect, we could
      use that to share information regarding a possible human flu pandemic
      that might arise from bird flu. If you might advise and inspire, I
      could find a team leader and field agents that could bring out such
      connections.

      http://www.ms. lt
      ms@...
      +370 (5) 264 5950
      +370 (699) 30003
      skype: minciusodas
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Samwel Okech kongere
      Nyamuga primary school
      P.O BOX 191,
      MBITA  040305-KENYA.
      Cell: +254 725 600 439
      Computer specielist
      Community Development

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        Andrius - thank you.

        Once again you have clarified my thoughts for me.

        Ref your posting [learningfromeachother] Moodle, TiddlyWiki and
        "learning from each other" about poultry and pandemic flu

        Yes, I am interested in "online technologies for managing relationships
        between bandwidth rich and poor" . I hadn't thought to express it in
        those terms before.

        I'm not sure about the word "managing" - I think I prefer "enabling" -
        but of course my positive or negative feelings about the work
        "management" would depend on the "management style".

        I guess that word "manage" does help to explain why Lorraine and I
        weren't happy with our TT wiki, although it was a great place for
        putting information. With the TT wiki I had a valuable "resource
        cupboard" ready for when I went to present the first TT course - but the
        information "in my cupboard" was not organised in a way that enabled
        the course participants to help themselves. We needed to find a better
        way to manage and offer information.

        After the first TT course Lorraine and I worked with Ross Gardler to
        address this issue of managing information on behalf of the TT
        participants (and other groups we wanted to help)
        We tried various things and had interesting discussions regarding
        "open-ness". Ross, as an open source developer, felt we were being
        restrictive and closed because of the boundaries we wanted to set on who
        was allowed access to what information. We felt that if we could find
        ways to offer only the most relevant information we would in fact
        increase useful access - a case of "less is more". When I discovered
        Moodle all three of us agreed that it seemed appropriate because of the
        way it makes it easy to set up separate groups, and to arrange differing
        levels of access and control of information within those groups, and
        because it is so user friendly in many ways.

        In my imagination I see us with working groups, who address problems
        very actively and practically, who build up new knowledge through the
        way they "rub minds" at Cawdnet Campus, and who do on-the-ground
        practical experimentation ( as happens now with Cawdnetters at Fantsuam,
        Oke-Ogun and elsewhere). The working groups are like the research part
        of Cawdnet Campus.

        As the research starts to produce results that can benefit others -
        these results will get shared - at first the sharing will be a case of
        simply writing things up and inviting guests to read what has been
        written (a bit like a research group publishing its findings).

        Then comes the challenge of making such information easier to access,
        and of practical benefit to other groups and individuals on the ground.
        This is another part of Moodle I look forward to exploring. There are
        all sorts of facilities for tests and quizzes. What I'd like to do is
        use these quizzes to help discover what the visitor already knows and
        wants to know next, so I can make available the information that is most
        likely to fit the need.
        .
        As I see it, a wiki is the information equivalent of a huge supermarket
        or department store - a great resource if you have the time to wander
        around and find what you want. Bandwidth poor people don't have the time
        on-line to wander around. They need the equivalent of a personal shopper
        on hand ready to help. (This in effect is what we had with the TT-online
        support group during the presentation of the course). Ideally it would
        be a personal shopper who already knows their needs and is ready for
        their arrival, so they can make a very quick selection knowing that
        whatever they choose will be fine. In fact, unless they particularly
        want to make their own final selection, they could quite safely send an
        intermediary.

        Obviously we are way off achieving these ideas yet as it is early days,
        and we are more at the stage of recognising what needs to be done than
        doing it. Full implementation will take a lot of resources and
        collaboration. What we are doing is very small scale - trying things out
        and recognising roles, and information flows, and such like - learning
        little things that do/don't seem to work - doing things at Cawdnet
        Campus that we were previously doing in a more fragmented way.

        If other people are investigating systems that would help achieve the
        objective of serving information needs of the bandwidth poor, or
        otherwise enabling communication across the digital divide then we are
        interested in sharing what we are learning.

        If people have interests that overlap the interests of Cawdnet Campus
        working groups they are welcome to explore joining the groups.

        However, at Cawdnet Campus we are way behind regarding sharing
        information, tagging information and so on. We recognise that "further
        down the line" these things should be a natural part of our information
        handling, but now our focus is on other things. For open and organised
        wide discussion it is much better to be here in the lab with Andrius.

        Pam