News from Eldoret and Nairobi

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      I spoke with Amos Obwanga +254 723007877 in Eldoret, Kenya, the city
      where the church was burned down with the people inside. Samwel Kongere
      told me of Amos Obwanga, and I encouraged us to call, but aside from me
      nobody has called. It would be good to call as they will be staying up
      all night.

      They are not sleeping and they are outside in the cold. This is because
      some 1,000 or 1,500 people are in the area threatening to burn down
      their houses. Some houses have already been burned down flat to the
      ground. The police are nowhere in sight, the roads are closed. Their
      tribe has been targeted and they are stranded. They are getting news
      from the radio. They will be staying up all night and it is very
      helpful if people call and stay in touch.

      Amos gave some more telephone numbers to call to hear news and give support:
      +254 721 719 976 Kefar Onyango in Eldoret
      +254 732 502 742 Samwel Otieno in Nairobi
      +254 725 388 339 Alphons Nungo in Eldoret
      +254 727 671 847
      Say that Amos Obwanga encouraged that you call.

      I spoke with Kennedy Owino of Nafsi Afrika Acrobats
      http://www.nafsiafriacrobats.org in the Kangware slums. There was just
      a meeting nearby where hundreds of youth decided to torch down the
      houses where they are (Ken is of the Luo tribe) but the police appeared
      and broke up the meeting. The police are doing their best. Ken says
      they are getting their news from the television. The President, the
      opposition candidate, the attorney general and the police commissioner
      all gave statements on television to calm the people down. The
      president and opposition leader will have a meeting tomorrow and Kofi
      Annan and others will be mediating. So they have hope that tomorrow
      everything will be OK. They are getting out of the building and will be
      staying outside. Kennedy thanks us all for our great support. He will
      be staying up, too, so we can call him any time.

      If you call, then tell them how you heard about them, write down any
      news they give you and share that with us, ask them about their needs,
      report anything you think they might want to know, collect numbers of
      more people to call.

      There are shortages throughout Kenya and it is not easy to get money out
      of banks either. But we have sent small amounts of money to four people
      in Kenya and will send more (for example to Dennis Mimambo who is doing
      fantastic work organizing peace meetings in Nakuru) if we can get more
      funds. I welcome PayPal donations to ms@... Thank you to Ricardo and
      Agnese.

      More people to call are at: http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KenyansToCall

      +370 699 30003