Telephone contacts in Eldoret and Kenya

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      I'm sharing telephone contacts in Kenya with various reporters who are
      writing about the post-election crisis. (I list them further below and
      encourage our Africans to write them directly.) Our Minciu Sodas
      laboratory serves independent thinkers around the world and we have many
      participants in Kenya and neighboring countries. We are also collecting
      more telephone numbers of people to call:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KenyansToCall

      Most urgently, +254 723 007 877 Amos Obwanga in Eldoret (recommended by
      Samwel Kongere) says they are very much in danger. They are not safe.
      They are in an area that is barricaded and within which they are
      surrounded and there are many threats, especially what might happen at
      night. They need an escort.

      Others in Kenya:

      +254 723 568 251 KennedyOwino of Nafsi Afrika Acrobats in Nairobi's slum
      Kangware. Kennedy today said he made it back to Nairobi last night but
      now is indoors and there are skirmishes outside.
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KenOwino http://www.nafsiafriacrobats.org

      +254 725 600 439 SamwelKongere in Rusinga Island on Lake Victoria near
      Mbita Point. Samwel is online now (jambita1@...) and wrote a
      profound message of peace:
      William Wambura to translate into Kiswahili.

      +254 722 366 777 Muyela is a lawyer in Nakuru who we met today through
      Davis Weddi. We spoke for 15 minutes, see the chat transcript. Muyela
      made clear that everything would stop in one day if the current
      President simply called for an audit of the election results. If you
      call Muyela, then please let him know of Dennis Kimambo's work there
      organizing peace meetings, see Dennis' letter below.

      +254 722 388 275 DennisKimambo in Nakuru, community theatre leader and
      peace activist, see http://wiki.rising.globalvoicesonline.org/REPACTED
      they had a successful peace meeting yesterday and will meet every three
      days:

      +254 725 678 641 TomOchuka in Kisumu, one of the hardest hit areas. He
      was robbed and lost his digital camera, the pay phone from which his
      family makes a living, a gas cylinder and some funds. I spoke with Tom
      again today. He leads Deaf Impact and will be helping the deaf.
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?TomOchuka He said the price of 2 kg of
      maize rose from 30 shillings ($ 0.45) to 100 shillings ($1.50).

      +254 720 462 559 DavidMutua of Teachers Talking Kenya- outside Nairobi
      in Kangundo district. He is from a minority tribe but perhaps he has
      contacts with people in the President's party which I imagine dominates
      there. Pamela McLean has not succeeded in contacting him.

      +254 720 466 340 Douglas Arege - (a newcomer who came to our chat room)
      I am in kisii a small town in western kenya, the only help we need is as
      i said emergency relief: i.e food ,beddings and clothing to displaced
      families at various police centres and community grounds

      Davis Weddi in Uganda +256 752 697575
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Davis_Weddi and +255 714 968 236 Kiyavilo
      Msekwa http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Kiyavilo_Msekwa in Arusa, Tanzania are
      both a couple of hours from Kenya and will help us help refugees coming
      into those countries. Davis linked us with Muyelo and will be in touch
      with refugee leaders today. They will report on the refugees' needs,
      spread their news, and tell us of the organizations working there. Both
      have sucessfully picked up 100 USD, half for their work and half to use
      as they decide. Fred Kayiwa in Kampala, Uganda is also helping us +256
      782 371003.

      Josephat Ndibalema of Uyoga in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania is leading our
      translation work into Kiswahili. Our priority now is to translate
      summaries international news as Tom suggests and make that available for
      posting, emailing and printing. Sasha Mrkailo of Serbia is also
      collecting texts and links, including short works or passages about
      nonviolent engagement, which will be relevant if this crisis continues.
      Who might help him? We're collecting that at
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?KenyaCommunication

      Asif Daya in Florida (but raised in Kenya) is sharing news and advice.
      http://www.ms.lt/?thinker=Asif_Daya

      Samwel Kongere leads our lab's group Mendenyo
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mendenyo/ and we are writing to other
      email groups as well. We also welcome all to our chat
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/ where we are meeting every day especially
      at 15:00 Kenya time, 12:00 UK time, 7:00 New York time. See our chat
      archive: http://www.worknets.org/archive/ We are also sending small
      amounts of money to our participants and people they recommend. We are
      accepting donations by PayPal at ms@...

      The reporters that I'm writing to are:

      "Dozens of Hoosiers stuck in Kenya", Dan McFeely, dan.mcfeely@...
      http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080103/LOCAL/801030438

      You can send pictures or video to the BBC at yourpics@... or via
      MMS by dialling +44 (0)7725 100100.

      Also, there is the Nairobi bureau of the Voice Of America
      Nairobi@...

      I encourage our Africans to write reporters directly (and CC our groups).

      For our longer term projects in Africa and around the world see
      http://www.includer.org and http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Endeavors

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania