Chat at 4pm Kenyan-Tanzanian Time about Kenya situation

  • Maria Agnese Giraudo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2008
      Josepaht invites all of us to chat together at 4pm Kenyan-Tanzanian time about the situation in Kenya.
      See you later!
      Maria Agnese

      L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la Nuova Yahoo! Mail
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2008
        We're all invited to chat at http://www.worknets.org/chat/ to help Kenyans.

        Davis Weddi will help us do a small project in Uganda and Kiyavilo
        Msekwa of Arusha, Tanzania will also. We will be helping refugees and
        also help spread information. Sasha Mrkailo is collecting links and
        texts http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Kenya and Josephat Ndibalema
        will lead translation into Kiswahili.

        I share some letters from our groups at Minciu Sodas.

        ---------------------------------------

        For now I will continue feeding this list with the details I get from the
        situation from Kenya and how it is affecting neighboring Uganda. This will
        happen for as long as I still have a connection to the internet and my
        e-mail service.

        In Uganda, the immediate help needed is for the Kenyan refugee children and
        women who are now resident on the streets of Mbale, Tororo, Malaba and Busia
        Towns of Uganda. The families, who could afford, have taken over all the
        hotels in these towns. Those who could not afford have to struggle on the
        streets and by the day, it is becoming harder.

        This situation caught the Ugandan Immigration authorities by surprise and
        the there is no definite number of refugees known, yet they continue
        crossing into the country from Western Kenya. A Member of Parliament (known
        to me) from Tororo expressed fears that this situation of the refugees could
        get worse.

        Those who have relatives and friends in Uganda have also gotten some
        accommodation but given the dire situation in which Uganda's economy has
        been hit by scarcity of fuel (petrol and diesel) as a result of the close of
        Kenyan roads on which this fuel is ferried to Uganda, it is not know how
        long the current hospitality will last. Scarcity is now creating some chaos
        to the transport system in Uganda. Fuel prices shot up by over 500% in some
        parts of Uganda's capital. Consequently very many vehicles have been
        grounded. Uganda currently has no national reserves of fuel, what was there
        a few months ago had been sold to Shell and Hared oil companies. But these
        companies claim the reserve tanks had been emptied before Christmas time and
        they never thought there would have been chaos in Kenya.

        We hope the fuel situation does not lead to closure of some Mobile telecom
        base stations that are powered using diesel.

        - Davis Weddi

        Dear all,

        Actually i have been following what is happening in Kenya for about a
        week now,f according to the resent reports the most parts of Kenya are
        not accessible due closed transport, people are now fearing ,i'm afraid
        that most of the people are under trouble especially those out of
        Nairobi the capital city,it was reported yesterday that people are
        starving in areas of Kisumu and other parts out of Nairobi due to
        closing of shops and markets,and there is'nt transport in the most parts
        of the country.

        There is'nt acurate data on the whole situation e.g the number of
        people who have died in the insident,a number of those who have left
        there homes but it is estimated that at least 75,000 people have no
        place to stay after their houses being demolished due to ethinic
        violence,it was also reported that most people stay in church
        buldings.No accurate data at all due to Kenyan government restriction on
        reporting by private media in the country claiming that reporting on the
        current situation may cause further trouble in the country,the reason
        which have no sense.

        Uyoga we are ready to help our fellow Kenyans,but most important is
        to have acurate informations on the current situation,on my side i
        have'nt met one from Kenya by this time,but i'm trying to know more
        about ethinic situation in Kenya.It is said that the violence in the
        form of ethnic conflict,mostly Ruo tribe against Kikuyu tribe,Raila
        Odinga is from Ruo tribe and Mwaikibaki now the president from Kikuyu tribe.

        I belive this is an important time to look on how we can help our
        fellow Kenyans,Uyoga can help translate texts in Kiswahili.We are all
        together

        Josephat Ndibalema-Member of Uyoga

        -------------------------------------

        Fred Kayiwa, Uganda:
        Its rely bad stuation
        however,
        here in uganda am keeping my phone on 24hours 0782371003[+256-782-
        371003]
        if any of our members comes to uganda please call me and will pick you
        to my room or some ones room
        and also if there is no possible ways to help you lets say you have
        money to recieve you can recieve it from me ica scrifice to travel to
        our border perhaps we can meet there and give you ur help.

        Andrius i guess it will be ok iwill not travel to nairobi as the
        trasport is closed now
        perhaps i can use Fly emirates they told me their fares are around
        920usd by jan 15th

        Yes I would like to help, Let me know if you need anything, I will
        Here is my phone Number +255 714 968 236

        Wish you all the best

        Kiyavilo Msekwa