Holly Farish-Hunt

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2007
      Hi everyone.

      Today we had an e-meeting at TrainersPod.  Prince introduced himself and his hopes for various educational initiatives in Ghana. We had a good mix of participants and lively discussion.

      We intend to develop some aspects of the discussion at our next meeting which will be  on the third Thursday of January - January 17th. It will be something along the lines of "Rural Realities - Hopes for the Future - the Role of Teachers Now ICT is Here". Personally I do not want this to develop into a discussion of formal e-learning  etc.  I am more interested in informal learning, the role of teachers as change agents within rural communities, and how this role can be enhanced if teachers have access to the Internet.

      I feel that, as yet, formal e-learning is not really an accessible option in the rural areas I know. I'd be interested to know what other MS lab people think. Please write in and share your rural realities. I hope to gather useful information before the session happens, so I am not just quoting my own experience.

      Sasha and Andrius I know you have been gathering information from Sam and others about costs and general Internet access problems related to the flash drive editor. I guess you will probably have gathered it up safely somewhere on the wiki.

      Sam, Fred, Ken, William, Josephat, David, Evelyn, Josphat, William, everyone.. I know that most of our LFEO and TT friends in rural Africa have serious problems getting on line at all, and are not able to access the TrainersPod meetings. However if we collect information up in advance then your interests can be represented. I hope that the TrainersPod meetings will help to build bridges between the bandwidth rich people (who can get to TrainersPod) and the LFEO  and TT friends (and other MS lab people) who are in Africa and bandwidth challenged. I hope also that gradually we will encourage more peopel to attend both the chat room meetings and the TrainersPod meetings, so we get a rich mixing of ideas across the two groups.