Canadian E-learning researcher-promoter Stephen Dowes

  • Benoit
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2006

      Hi everyone,

      The following link leads to a lecture from Stephen Dowes who is a Canadian government researcher.  He recommends it by saying:  "...please, if you listen to nothing else from me this year, listen to this, because everything I write comes from the heart, and this is as close to it as anyone is ever likely to get."

      Much of what he says is very closely united to Andrius' vision; so much so, that I now pray that Andrius Kulikauskas and his vision of Minciu Sodas can become to Luthuania's government, what Stephen Dowes is to the Canadian govenrment and that our 2 governents may get to contract them out for the scaling up of the global villages that can serve the connectivity of the one village of humanity with such possiblities as:  http://www.canada2020.ca/blog/quick/security-from-the-embodyment-of-social-policy/

      Stephen's lecture is recorded in New-Zealand as a bus tour of e-learning experts.  It lasts a good while and it is worth each moment, especially for the front line people of E-learning.  It centers on the contrasts between online "groups" versus "networks":

      http://www.downes.ca/files/audio/nz3.mp3

      ...all blessings be with us all...  Benoit Couture

      PS:  Please, do feel free to spead around if you are in agreement...

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
        I had an interesting conversation with Andrius on Friday.

        I had not realised that he would like me to use this group to share more
        of what I am doing outside of it, and that it would be helpful for him
        if I do so. I would like to do as he asks, and I can see it would
        benefit me as well, although I find it a little difficult.

        Regarding this group, although Andrius has invited me to lead this group
        I feel that I am, to a certain extent a stranger here. I don't know who
        everyone is, I don't know our shared interests. Until now I had thought
        of it as a discussion group where I should just bring things that I was
        fairly confident would be of interest to everyone who had joined.
        (Something that would get easier as I got to know people and their
        interests better.) It has seemed wrong that I should just hold forth
        about me and my interests - but Andrius has asked me to. He pointed out
        that this group has a part to play in the wider network of his lab, and
        from his point of view the more information that passes through here the
        better.

        In future I will think of this group in a slightly different way - in a
        very unstructured way. In my mind it will be a "a place to tell Andrius
        what I am doing and thinking"; a place where he brings people who he
        recognises have interests related to some of the things we discuss here,
        and a place where I can bring people as well. Obviously, anyone here is
        free to "eavesdrop" on anyone else's conversations, to join in, or to
        start a conversation of their own. I will not be trying to respond to
        everyone's contribution, or to summarise what we are discussing, or to
        define key areas for discussion, I will simply throw in information
        about what I am doing (as well as what I am learning and thinking about)
        - and see what happens.

        Another reason it is difficult to share what I am doing, is that
        everything has a history, and before sharing something I think it is
        helpful and considerate to put it in context - it helps newcomers to
        join in, it minimises wrong assumptions and subsequent confusion, it
        helps people to cross cultural barriers and to be comfortable
        participants in a new situation. But all that kind of introduction
        involves extra work - and I do not have time for that extra work.

        So... I will share stuff here the way that I shared it with Lorraine
        when we started to work together. I simply enabled her to "shadow me"
        for a while, picking up what she could of what was going on by observing
        what I was doing. After a while she know enough to ask questions in
        context, and so we gradually developed a very productive way of
        collaborating.
        (you see - I have not even bothered to explain who Lorraine is. If you
        want to know you must ask - and then maybe I won't have to do the
        explaining anyway- because she could tell you herself - or Janet could))

        I will be sharing here what I am doing, but I will not be sharing
        information that others have shared with me, unless I know that they
        want it shared more widely.

        You are welcome to ask questions - I don't promise that I will always
        reply as quickly or fully as a question deserves, but I will be storing
        questions up in my mind, and what I write will be guided by them.