Re: [learningfromeachother] Computer recycling in Africa/Jeff-Kafui

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18 3:50 PM

      Hello Dear Maria Agnese and All!

      Immense thanks for your posting, Maria Agnese, and wonderful to hear from you in general!  This is a hugely important topic, and I think OVF-Ghana might consider doing a workshop or presentation on it at the conference (Kafui and Jeff, would this be do-able and of interest?). Prince and others might want to address this too!  Prince, do you do work in this area?

      I have a Nigerian friend working on e-waste, and I know that the nonprofit, World Computer Exchange (www.worldcomputerexchange.org), is also investigating this topic, in fact with my friend as a volunteer.  WCE donates thousands of computers a year to Kenya and elsewhere around the world, so it is of great concern to them to address the e-waste challenge.

      There is still not much info written on the subject, that I can see, so gathering more stats and other resource materials--and then presenting them at the conference--would fill a real need.

      It sounds like the project discussed in the article will be valuable for three reasons:  1) to focus awareness and hopefully stimulate action on the topic   2) because much of the focus is "local", and  3) a linkage is being made between the local and global, ie the regulations for donated computers (from the USA to Kenya, for example).

      Do we know of any best practices in Kenya (and Ghana too)?  Gathering this info here could be helpful for the EMPA-DSF project.  We might try contacting them to see if we can work with them on the project (Andrius, what do you think)?

      Obviously, this is an important challenge to consider in any ICTs manufacturing/assembling project (the Includer et al) we might do!

      I hope that a number of us will be able to attend the Ghana conference, and I will be networking more for it in the new year myself (the organizers have asked me to do so for the first 2 conferences, and I'll be happy to carry on the fine tradition!), so will keep folks in the loop on updates, as they become available.

      With thanks and blessings, Janet