Fwd: [CawdTeachersTalking] ICT4TrainersTalking - online time plans (18th and 19th November!!)

  • Lorraine Duff
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2007

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Pamela McLean <pam_mclean2000@...>
      Date: 17 Nov 2007 21:08
      Subject: Re: [CawdTeachersTalking] ICT4TrainersTalking - online time plans (18th and 19th November!!)
      To: CawdTeachersTalking@yahoogroups.com

      (Lorraine please also post this on LFEO for me - I am not registered with it from this address)
      Hi  everyone.

      Today we had the TT 3rd anniversary celebration at Fantsuam. We went to the chat room and met Andrius there.  People who attended today included the people on the present course and some participants from previous courses.

      Tomorrow we plan to go online at 3pm to 4 pm Nigerian time (GMT + 1). There will probably be some different people, and some the same. We only have one hour and for some people it will be their only visit to the Internet. Those people will not be able to chat long, as they must see other things too, but we hope to be able to manage to get there and exchange some greetings.

      Some general news. My phone does not work here. I had a couple of texts soon after I arrived (thank you Lorraine) and was able to send one reply. However since then there has been no signal showing - so no calls and no texts. I hope I will be able to catch up on Thursday when I leave the rural area for Abuja.

      Exciting things have been happening at Fantsuam since my last visit. Two buildings have been completed using the compressed earth bricks which are being made on-site. Other building materials used locally are mud bricks (reinforced with grass) which are made in moulds and dried in the sun, and concrete blocks. It seems that you are never more than a  couple of miles from a small concrete-block-making enterprise. One of the buildings has a number of rooms including the server room.

      Many things have changed to make way for that building. The mango tree has gone from the compound, and also the fence that used to keep the goats in, and all the little plants and bushes (with their wire netting to protect them from the goats) have vanished. The turkeys and chickens have gone too, except for wild chickens - but that is not only the fault of the new building in that place - it was also a precaution against bird flu.

      There is also more solar power in use which means that the server can run all the time - even when there is no NEPA and we must rely on oil lamps and torch light. People with wireless laptops here are very excited that "Even when there is no light we do not off the server". The new system has only been running a few days. I am told that now, for the staff using laptops,  there is "no stress" that the power is about to go. Of course it is different with PCs, where the old problems remain.

      I hope we will get online tomorrow and that we will find people in the chat room. I hope that, by the time I leave, people will be confident about visiting the chat room on their own. Everyone was very excited today to link up with Andrius, and his colleagues,  in USA.

      Bye for now.

      Pam.

      Yahoo! Kickstart

      Sign up today!

      new professional

      network from Yahoo!.

      Ads on Yahoo!

      Learn more now.

      Reach customers

      searching for you.

      Dog Fanatics

      on Yahoo! Groups

      Find people who are

      crazy about dogs.

      .

    • Coordinating Committee
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 21, 2007
        Hi everyone,

        On behalf of Teachers Talking Kenya, we would like to apologize for not making it to the chatroom on sunday and monday. We read the email on Sunday evening after your first chat, then all of us could not make it on Monday because of supervising end of year exams.

        We look forward to participate the next chat.

        Cheers.

        CodKenya.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 23, 2007
          Thanks Pam for the news, well done. I can imagine all the changes that have taken place since i left Fantsuam Foundation too.

          I was unable to attend the meeting coz i was traveling over the weekend

          Pass my greetings to John, Comfort, Mathew, Mr. Danbaki, Bala, the Microfinace Ladies, Ochuko, the VSO volunteers and the old TT members who i met before and are attending the training.

          Nice time in Nigeria, will expect to hear more when you go back to London.

          Regards,

          David

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 23, 2007
            Hi All
            I am seeking support/ collaboration for this project with young traditional potters.
            I am a designer, educationists who has been working with rural tribal artisan communities from various parts of India.
            From 1989 onwards I have been working, researching, learning from the artisan communities. I have tried to address several issues- cultural, spiritual, socio political and economical in these interactions.
            As a designer I have  been working as an active collaborator with artisans, helping them conceive new design possibilities and extend their design and product vocabulary. It is crucial to me that they don't become mere laborers, instead use their imagination freely and retaining their creativity and self respect. Practically it means opening up avenues for craft usage in daily life.
              Kumbham at Aruvacode, Nilambur, Kerala is a unique example in reviving an almost wiped out pottery tradition. I began in 1993, worked with over 150 artisans and in the course of 13 years developed over 500 designs/ products, using a novel way of initiating creativity among artisans.  A fundamental premise of the training interventions at Aruvacode is the cultural, aesthetic and creative superiority of the trainees, compared to the 'developed' mainstream of Indian society.  Thus the basic attempt at the training programmes is to help the individuals regain their wisdom and confidence which lies embedded within their own communities and culture.
            For detailed study see the web sites www.kumbham.in
             This work has led me to explore an essential aspect of all crafts- that of enabling the artisan's children to take forward their skills as a viable livelihood option.
            I am planning to do an experimental educational activity with 12 potters children of the age group 18 t0 24.
            What I mean by education is an over all exposure/ training to obtain the skills/ abilities needed to pursue pottery in the present context.
            The estimated time frame is about two years.
            The participants will be given exposure to the pottery especially to the present interest among the urban population as well as its role in the coming ecologically sensitive era, modern ways of marketing, internet and web, design intervention etc.
            The whole process will be hands on.
            Then they will develop new products, hold exhibitions to get feed back.
            Rough schedule is as follows.
            Two three months of learning to research, document, photograph etc.
            6 to 8 months of traveling to various parts of the country where various types of experiments are happening for example the potters in Utham nagar, delhi, craft institutions, craft based ngos, urban markets and pottery 'studios' etc.
            Then about 6 to 8 months of developing of new products, holding exhibitions etc and finally in the last phase the potters children will be helped to set up new ventures or collaborate with existing production at their respective villages.
            The participants will be selected from various parts of the country- Orissa, Kerala, and Tamilnadu etc especially from work areas with which I am familiar.
            The participants will be provided with tools and equipments that are necessary in the present context like digital camera, computer etc.
            I will also have to construct or hire minimum facilities for working staying etc.
            The out come of the project apart from equipping the potters children with an ability to pursue pottery would be
            1. About 500 new products
            2. Documentation of the process which can be good reference
            3. The process could also be used for other crafts and for developing institution for enabling the Artisans.
            You would have guessed this will require quite a lot of money.
            As an individual proposing to do such a project I foresee difficulties in obtaining funding from regular channels. I am sending this in the hope that a completely new way of supporting socially relevant issues will take shape.
            I think this could grow in to a movement as more and more people join the project as collaborators/ supporters etc.
            So by the time we finish the project the artisans would have a dedicated group of support base all over.
            Interested people can contribute with their time, money, donation of equipments- digital camera, computer etc or even hosting the team when we travel.
            Roughly the total cost is estimated to be Rs 24, 00,000.
            Do get back to me if you find this interesting.
            Jinan

            Jinan,
            www.re-cognition.org
            www.kumbham.in
            http://my.opera.com/jinankb/albums/
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/terracotta_murals/sets/72157594503980465/
            09447121544
            0487 2386723

          • jinan kodapully
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 23, 2007
              Hi
              For those of who are interested in issues related to knowing I have uploaded a ppt on De- textualising knowledge.
              http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/jinankb-29479-de-textualising-knowledge-cognition-sense-biological-learning-process-natural-texualising-latest-spiritual-inspirational-ppt-powerpoint/

              Waiting for your comments and responses.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
                Hi Jinan
                Welcome to this group. (I have come across your work before - but am not sure how.)
                Are you aware of Stockholm challenge?
                Deadline December sometime.
                Could be worth putting details of your work there if you want to raise its profile.