Re: [learningfromeachother] Computer recycling in Africa

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2007
      Thanks Maria.........

       ....for this great information. it is really going to be in combination to what we are pursuing here in our Lab. I am already in Nairobi and will stay here for a few days before I go out to Dar on 26th. Keep in touch.
      Sam

      Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...> wrote:
      Dear Janet Samwel, Ricardo, Davide, Pam  and all,
      computer recycling will be  a topic of the 3rd Conference E-learning Africa, Accra Ghana, 28-30 May 2008.
      "....In September 2007, HP and the Swiss State organisation Empa (Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research) and the Global Digital Solidarity Fund (DSF) initiated a programme for e-waste management in Africa. The aims are quite ambitious: Empa researchers are charged with developing a concept to assess and meet specific local needs. The project will support local stakeholders in managing computer-equipment waste. The team will start to build up best practices in Morocco, Kenya and Tunisia. HP will also finance a pilot in South Africa in which people learn how to collect and strip down computers properly. This pilot should serve an exemplary function for other African countries.
      What also seems recommendable is to introduce strict regulations for donated computers. In Kenya, experience shows that this approach has worked well, and people can henceforth profit from old PCs. For instance, the initiative “Computers for Schools Kenya” stipulates that no donated PC should be older than six years, the estimate being that it will serve for another four. When the machine ultimately breaks down, selected parts will be recycled locally. The rest will be sent back to the point of origin – at the donor’s expense."
      All the best!
      Maria Agnese

      Samwel Okech kongere
      Nyamuga primary school