Is our work Public Domain or Copyleft or Copyright?

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2007
      I share my letter to COMMUNIA with our Minciu Sodas laboratory's working group
      Learning From Each Other - and my letter is in the Public Domain! Andrius

      Séverine,

      Thank you for writing on this important topic which I also brought up at our
      meeting in Turin.

      Certainly our own stance on the openness of our work will determine whether
      our efforts are taken seriously, whether serious people participate and
      whether we have any impact for the better.

      My understanding is that COMMUNIA is the forum for championing the Public
      Domain so that we have a vibrant commons where we are all free to work
      together.

      I feel a duty in each situation to give preference to greater sharing over
      lesser sharing. Public Domain places fewer restrictions than any form of
      copyright or copyleft. Therefore I will work that we give preference to the
      Public Domain wherever possible.

      I propose that our work be "Public Domain except when noted otherwise" so
      that any exceptions are decided on a case by case basis.

      One of our tasks is to learn about the specifics of each situation and be
      able to recommend license practices. I think it is premature for us (or at
      least for me) to commit ourselves to one or more licenses.

      I hope that we will use licenses with much more forethought and generosity
      than many people do. I see many cases where 99% of people who reuse material
      do not heed the terms of a license and where frankly its not clear why there
      is a copyright or license.

      Bad practices, like bad habits, cause grief to those who try to undo them,
      but especially when they are bad social practices. The Wikipedia license
      (GNU FDL) is I think exemplary as a "mental rut". Currently, my lab members
      are interested to organize a Wikipedia and other content in the Lou language.
      Unfortunately, Wikipedia is commited to the GNU FDL which I argue is
      completely irrelevant and inappropriate for an African language where
      participants would be happy to share, but instead we are imposing on their
      freedoms a contortion from the Western legal system. Imagine how difficult
      it is for me to work against the Western status quo and argue for the Public
      Domain. And then consider that COMMUNIA can outline ways by which a
      community like Wikipedia can migrate from one license to another or to the
      Public Domain.

      We have the opportunity to identify and advocate for good practices. We can
      argue for a world where 90% of content is in the Public Domain, 9% is fair
      use, .9% is Creative Commons and .09% falls under copyright. We can do so if
      we think and live in terms of the Public Domain as people who actually do
      share. Our lab, Minciu Sodas, is a leader in such sharing - we have written
      over 25,000 letters in the Public Domain - and we have much to contribute
      regarding how such a culture of sharing functions. In my experience, for
      example, the "share alike" forms of copyright/copyleft are the most
      incompatible with the Public Domain.

      The Public Domain is so weak that it is understandable that even in this
      forum for the Public Domain we need to discuss its merits or even qualify
      that by Public Domain we mean "copyright-free", "use your best judgement",
      "you need never ask for permission".

      Yet let us embolden ourselves to support the greatest use of the Public
      Domain before we resign ourselves to any alternatives, especially more
      complicated alternatives. I hope and expect our European Union to be at
      least as progressive as the United States of America. The US government,
      unlike most other governments in the world, places its works in the Public
      Domain. We can encourage a much wider use of the Public Domain than that!

      The Public Domain is like the air we breathe - it does not want or need to be
      boxed and tracked in containers with labels as to who is the author, what is
      the source, what is the license. It is the fear to be controlled that makes
      for all these boxes. I speak also as a social entrepreneur that
      "noncommercial" means "nonsustainable". I speak as a social networker that
      "sharealike" is like "free" as in "forced to be free" as in the Soviet
      Union.

      I hope our work is as fresh as the Public Domain! More fresh air!

      I ask for more voices to speak on behalf of the Public Domain. Or will I be
      the only one?

      Our awareness on this topic will serve us all in our momentous work!

      +370 699 30003

      -------------------------------------

      Presumed copyright:

      Dear all,

      I also have a comment on the Network Agreement
      related to its article 8(2). I understand that
      all knowledge produced by the Network should be
      disseminated under an open access frame. I doubt
      however that it should necessarily include re-use
      for commercial purposes (therefore a publisher
      could publish a book with the proceedings of one
      workshop or conference). At least, I would
      recommend that our licenses will require a
      Share-ALike provision so as to contaminate
      subsequent re-uses of our knowledge with a public
      domain virus.

      What do you think ?

      It does not necessitate a re-writing of the
      Agreement as we can adopt such a licensing scheme
      in a further GA meeting.

      Yours

      séverine Dusollier
      --
    • kayiwa fred
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2007
        Iwould love to Invite you all for today's chat
        and we pave way for our brothers and siters of Uyoga
        In TZD
        whO want to make the poultry project.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • pascal nshombo
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2007
          Thank you very much for your invitation.
          But I'm sorry, i wiil be outside of Rome for
          two days. I'm very busy now.
          Thank you for your attention

          Pascal

          --- kayiwa fred <fdkayiwa@...> a écrit :

          > Iwould love to Invite you all for today's chat
          > and we pave way for our brothers and siters of Uyoga
          > In TZD
          > whO want to make the poultry project.

          > protection around
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • fdkayiwa
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2007
            --- In UGANDA We are waiting to host the common wealth meeting which
            is going to be cahired by the queen of England
            and am happy to tell you that who ever has question about the stuation
            now in uganda should ask me iwill report to him/her.
          • fdkayiwa
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
              Thanks Ricardo for updating us
              One question how can we get involved in this?