Fwd: Guardian - Katine

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2007
      News of a project that may be of interest, taken from an email sent to me today..
      Pam
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      (snip)  newspaper article from
      last Saturday's Guardian I thought you might be interested in - it's online
      at www.guardian.co.uk/katine/2007/oct/20/about.

      You may already be aware of the project but the bits that made me think of
      particularly of you were the sections toward the midde-end:

      "Would it be possible to find a way…of connecting the ideas, goodwill,
      resources and expert knowledge of 15 million readers around the world and
      focusing them on one problem?…Could there be a model for using web-based
      technologies - and the power to link and harness people - that could be
      developed by other western communities, whether businesses, schools or
      towns?"

      and

      "Secondly, it can involve a huge community of readers and web-users around
      the world and find ways of linking them in to what we're doing. We'll need
      money obviously. But, just as importantly we need advice and involvement.
      Among our readers are water engineers, doctors, solar energy experts,
      businessmen and women, teachers, nurses, farmers. We absolutely don't need a
      stampede of volunteers, but we would like a technical know-how bank of
      people who are prepared to offer time and advice. We'll let you know how to
      get involved as we go."

      It seemed very relevant to your area of interest (snip)
      More background at http://www.guardian.co.uk/katine.