RE: [learningfromeachother] Collaboration in e-learning from Prince

  • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007
      Pam:

      Thank you very much for the information and opportunity. I appreciate it very much.

      Asif

      "In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007
        Hello Pam and Other Friends,

        I found this tutorial, which I believe will help our cause:

        Good night!

        Prince

        Maria Agnese Giraudo <mariaagnesegiraudo@...> wrote:
        Dear Pam,
        thank you for your initiative, i like to share Moodle exploration  with all of you, although i have access to Moodle course at the University of Florence (in italian language).  I'll write my profile  there and I'll explore better the environment. As  I could seen in a short tour,  you have set up moodle for different purposes: TT couse, working groups, discussion groups, administation and so on. It seems very stimulating approach and shows the flexibility and the modular  structure  of this LMS.
         I have used in a completely different way in a course where  discussion groups and working groups were inside the course.
        All the best!
        Maria Agnese Giraudo

        Pamela McLean <pam@...> ha scritto:
        Hi Prince

        Welcome. I have added you to the group, and put in a couple of little exercises you might like to try sometime - no hurry - once you've done them I will have to think of more ;-)

        You can go directly to Discover Moodle by clicking on http://moodle. cawd.net/ course/view. php?id=276  - where you will be asked to log on.

        Maria and Asif I have put you in the group too.

        Others can join too.

        Pam

        On 17/10/2007, Prince Obiri-Mainoo <nationalafrica@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        Hello Pam and other friends,

        I was at Cawdnet Campus yesterday and actually registered or registered as I think I had done it some time past. I will try to join in your collaborations on Moodle as much as I can possibly make the time for. Thanks for the initiative in this area too!

        Prince

        Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:
        So - Maria, Sasha and Asif - how shall we move forward to learn about Moodle?

        We must learn from each other and learn by doing. You will soon learn the little that I know  ;-)
        Then you will streak ahead and I will be able to follow in your footsteps :-)

        Maria - I went to Cawdnet Campus this evening. I was excited to see you had already been there, and left me a note - so I left you a welcome one in return. I was just rushing through to a space that Lorraine and I use for administration, so I did not stop to check if you had filled in your profile. I hope that you will, if you have not done so already.  Asif and Sasha please put your profiles there too when you visit.

        I would like you to think of Cawdnet Campus as a virtual college - one that is very new - with empty rooms - waiting for people to come and take possession. Because we can have as many 'rooms' as we like it we can give every course that we run its own room.  There are also a few rooms which are already in use (some tidier that others! ) Moodle calls these rooms 'courses'.

        I have set up a 'course' or 'room' called Discover Moodle. It is not a formal taught course, so I have put it with other informal courses. I can do this because I have administrator privileges ( but don't know how to use them much yet).

        To join in and 'Discover Moodle' go to Cawdnet Campus http://moodle. cawd.net/ and look for  'Informal courses, clubs and SIGS'. Click on that and you'll find  Discover Moodle. If I have set things up properly when you get to Discover Moodle you will find that you have to log on before you go further. That's as it should be. If you were going to join a course or a club at an ordinary "real-world" college you would expect to register. When you get in please introduce yourself via the forum - very like a yahoo group.

        If you have a problem let me know - and I'll try to find out what I have done wrong in setting it up.

        Don't expect to find a formal course - this is an informal opportunity to learn by doing. We will  try things out together, use  the  Moodle  help materials, and  Skype each other. There will be room for more than four of us - it isn't limited to Asif, Maria, Sasha and Pam.

        NB I am currently preparing for trip to Nigeria, so will have more time for this when I get back than I do have now - but you can go ahead without me as much as you like, and I'll join in as I can.

        Pam

        On 16/10/2007, Maria Agnese Giraudo < mariaagnesegiraudo@ yahoo.it> wrote:
        Dear Pam,
        don't suppose that because i  addended this Master on e-learning that i learned a lot. you thises master are such commercial product tha universities sell. I got a lot of information but no so much of practice. I thank you very much for alow me to enter in your course. I can paly with moodle also in my course, what i would like to do it to share ideas of yhe use of moodle.  Sasha is very interested as well and because he is such clever and supportive person i would like he learn also for him self. Sorry this evening i can't go on...
        Please. if you come to Italy or pass through Italy come to visit me in Santa Marinella!
        All the best!
        Maria Agnese

        Pamela McLean < pam@...> ha scritto:
        Maria

        This is interesting. Let us find a way to explore how I can help you.  Sh ould we skype or what?

        I am so pleased to see a link between a researcher and what we are all doing here with Andrius. One of the many ICT4Ed /ICT4D divides that we need to cross is the divide betwen academics and pratcitioners. Itseems that  you are  doing this :-)

        Ref Moodle - we were going to discuss that - Sasha you were interested too. I have used an implementation of Moodle as a place to make TT materials easily available to other people. We call it Cawdnet Campus. If you go to http://moodle. cawd.net/ course/view. php?id=67 you can see the materials I developed ready for TT last March. You will need to log on. At Fantusem Foundation the techies put a mirror of our Moodle onto the local server. That meant that the materiasl could be accessed esily and quickly on line, not like when they are accessed from Fantsuam directly from the Internet.

        I  made  a few additions and changes to the course materials for TT Kenya , but haven't published them yet. We were not in a postition to do a mirror at Holy Rosary College, where we delivered teh course. Instead we distributed CD-ROMs of the course materials so participants could access them again later.

        Moodle can do much more than we have done - regarding distance learning provision (see what the OU is doing for examples of how it should really be used in all its power). For people like us - Lorraien and I - , who are not providing formal elearning courses it serves a different need. It is simply a great way for us to organise different information for different groups of people.

        If you want to "play with Moodle" let me know and I will ask Lorraine to set you up a space. You would have an area called a course, and you would have the privileges of the teacher, so you could explore how to develop and present a course. You can put up teaching materials of various kinds, and have discussion groups and quizzes to test understanding and all kinds of things (even wikis, as Sasha may like to know).

        Sasha you are welcome to have an area too if you like, or to try it out alongside Maria.

        We have a Health Special Interest Group at Cawdnet Campus - which Prof Dick Heller and John Dada set up together. Dick has gone further than I have in terms of setting up courses for delivery to students through Cawdnet Campus, He is currently running a pilot elearning course on Maternal Mortality.Lorraine would be the person to tell you more as she helped him to set it up. Or look here for some more information -  http:/ /moodle.cawd. net/course/ category. php?id=68

        When Dick started to use Cawdnet Campus he found it quite useful to look at it with Lorraine or me on the other end of the phone (or Skype) just to show him around and demonstrate some of the first things to try out. Lorriane and I found it useful to explore it together over the phone at first as well. There is excellent help available on line too, (but personally I find those big help resources a bit daunting unitl I have become reasonably familiar with something).

        ref
        "So, Andrius has promised me to set up a chatting room for clients. I 'll work there with Sasha as  a client , paying $50 per month, in open  domain. we have to take appointments during the week."
        I am not quite sure what you mean but it sounds interesting.

        More later.

        I am looking forward to working with you in whatever way works out.

        Pam

        On 15/10/2007, Maria Agnese Giraudo < mariaagnesegiraudo@ yahoo.it> wrote:
        Dear Pam,  and all,
        since I started to look at "e-learning" I desired to collaborate with you for many reasons, mainly because you have experience in the field in Africa and i appreciate what you are doing.  I would like to inform you and the forum of my plans i discussed with Andrius and Saha while they were my guests.
        1.  As you know,  i haven't yet working experience on it, what i have to do now is  to write a small dissertation. I thought that i could collect and describe small  projects in Africa and also in other continents. I would like to select projects  designed and runned for local population, grassroot associations, vocational  schools to  develop professional and business skills.
        I 'm interested as well in small  projects on health issues, as HIV/AIDS, and Malaria managemnt and control,  for the population.
        Please giv e me your advises, what ever suggestions   and  critical opinions regarding my ideas.   I ask for  the contribution of Samwel, Asif, Janet and other people experinced in the field.
        2. I asked Andrius and Sahsa to help me to  get a training in installing and  using OS Learning Managment Systems -LMS There are several products available, although Moodle is the  most wellknown!! There are as well many tools of web2,0 that perhaps many of you use but it would be interesting to compare and update constantly (as it would be possible!)
        So, Andrius has promised me to set up a chatting room for clients. I 'll work there with Sasha as  a client , paying $50 per month, in open  domain. we have to take appointments during the week. Everybody can see but nobody can work with us.
        I thank  Andrius for  allowing me to get this training and Sasha for his availability and great support. I  would  as well to encourage this kind of business in MSLab.
        All the best!
        Maria Agnese

        L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la Nuova Yahoo! Mail

        Prince M. Obiri-Mainoo
        M. Ed. (Lesley University, Cambridge)
        Executive Director

        National Africa Foundation
        http://www.national africafoundation. org
        P. O. Box 30237
        Worcester, MA 01602-0237
        U. S. A.

        Tel: + 1 508-425-4614
        Fax: +1 (508) 949-3222

        E-mail: nationalafrica@ yahoo.com

        Your gifts and abilities could become lasting legacies for generations to come. Use them now to bless humanity!

        "Only the best is good enough for Africa" Rev. Dr. James E. Kwegyir Aggrey (1875-1927) -An eminent Ghanaian clergy, missionary, educationist and visionary!
        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail.yahoo.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007
          Prince that is a great find. Thank you.

          Your challenge now is to go to Cawdnet Campus and see if you can offer it as a resource in your own topic area ;-)

          Actually that challenge is rather more advanced than I really had in mind for starters - but I would like you to log on to  Discover Moodle at Cawdnet Campus, find the discussion forum, and put your email in there as well as here - so we have it easily to hand.

          Pam

          On 15/10/2007, Maria Agnese Giraudo < mariaagnesegiraudo@... > wrote:
[...]

          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam prote ction around
          http://mail. yahoo.com

        • Prince Obiri-Mainoo
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 19, 2007
            Hello Friends,

            I have added Part 2 of the Moodle Tutorial at Cawdnet Campus as follows:

            Enjoy the weekend!

            Prince