Helping Andrius propose the Flash Drive Editor

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi all and Andrius,

      When I joined Miniciu Sodas Lab in 2005 my main aim was to do the transformation of my community and others; through information sharing; my aims were to uplift the lives of the rural poor by giving them appropriate and relevant information in order to make them informed, able to make their own decisions that could transform their lives. We didn’t have much knowledge about computers and how communication can be transferred using computers. After my introduction on the importance of thinking as an independent thinker, I came, to realize the importance of information transfer and handling.

      I did this through putting hands on basic ICT skills, involved in computer services distribution of doing many community interviews and understanding the whole community set up, promoting reading in primary schools (when I volunteered with Christian children fund), dissemination of information to fishermen, families and other community members and development of skills in computer applications to youths. The Community Based Organizations around here are now getting relevant information to enable them improve their knowledge to communication and networking.

      We have been able to mobilze women to do ICT training and are now developing small scale business plans in ICT related tasks for financing by the Micro- finance organizations. The idea is to have them develop ICT related businesses- most probably business kiosks or access point to open the rural and the Lake region to information transfer and handling advocacy.

      Today's increasingly technocratic world is in constant search of innovative ways to keep both man and machine in harmonious existence. Enormous amounts of e-waste generated from out-of-use electronic machines are becoming a serious global problem. Yet, this has to be seen as inevitable within the growing demand-in-need framework of technological and communicative development. What is most required today is a search for ways that could meet people cost efficiently with their advanced aspirations and needs, certainly in a minimal hazardous way. It is a national call to have these waste used in another way such re-assembling the equipment or innovating new software for under developed countries. Flash drive Editor is one way to solve the information transfer hurdle in Africa .

      I would add that, if people want to transfer files to a PC, they can use a cheap adaptor, which looks like a USB Flash Drive . Putting resources on the flash drive editor is very instrumental for our people here in Africa . This innovative is good and if approved can help us transfer information at the same time save millions of dollars to the world bank in getting necessary information for development and assistance to the developing countries. Considering the power shortage in our countries, fluctuations of power; we can work with flash drive editor offline in fields, collecting information, use bikes to send the content with one or two persons to an internet point and this information will reach the rest of the world in time.

      I really approve the innovative to have a flash drive editor for our African independent thinkers and there is no move to reduce or to undermine the strength taken to make this a reality to us. It is going to serve as a laptop which is costing 400 USD to 1200 USD in Kenya . We must produce many to cut in the costs.
      Andrius I will send you my CV today in your private mail.

      Bye!
      Sam.

      ms@... wrote:
      Janet,

      YES! I'm delighted that you might recommend our lab's proposal.
      I should write up a summary version tonight for the Knight News Challenge so
      you will see the heart of my intent. http://newschalleng e.org It's not a
      lot of work so I encourage us to submit our ideas for ideas that:
      * use digital technology (such as computers and cameras)
      * are innovative and original in some way
      * gives people access to news that they want to know
      * delivers the news while it is still fresh and timely
      * creates a sense of community for a group of people
      * has an impact in a specific location

      I need the three letters of recommendation for the Hastac Innovation awards
      which are also due October 15th http://www.dmlcompe tition.net/ innovation. php
      You have agreed, and I also ask Asif Daya and I ask Ricardo, too, thank you
      for all of your work on the technical feasability and the overall ecosystem.

      Note also that there is a Hastac Knowledge Networking Award that I encourage
      participants in our network to apply for
      http://www.dmlcompe tition.net/ networking. php I am not able to apply for both
      awards (an unfortunate restriction) but I suggest that Kennedy Owino and/or
      Sasha Mrkailo submit the idea of two bases in Nairobi. One would be the
      office "safe house" for $300 per month which we're already working towards in
      Nairobi about 1 km from the Kibera slums as a place for working on the
      trashware and having a place for our participants to stay. But is it
      possible to pay additionally for broadband Internet access there? If not,
      then it would be good to have a second location (perhaps a part-time office)
      somewhere in Nairobi where we could do video bridges with Austria, Lithuania,
      Italy, Chicago and other parts of our global network. Kennedy and Samwel
      please reply soon if we might submit such an idea. I can try to help write
      it.

      Ricardo, please, let us talk soon how you might participate in tour flash
      drive editor project. I still need to sign up Davide Lamanna of Binario
      Etico for our Mendenyo group, but we seem to have a hardware team, with them
      here in Rome as our advisors and with Samwel Kongere, Kennedy Owino, Fred
      Kayiwa all keen to come to Italy and Lithuania to learn the skills. Ricardo,
      we are planning two one-month courses, one for trashware basics, and the other
      for more advanced electronics hacking. It would be great if you might be in
      Italy for the second course, I will be too. And to help teach and advise as
      we work through the possibilities for the flash drive editor. Or you could
      come for a week or two. It would be great to talk.

      Yes, we definitely need to invest our resources to include and encourage
      women in Africa as independent thinkers is ICT and all subjects. We're
      blessed with wonderful examples of women leaders. I think of you, Pamela
      McLean, Maria Agnese Giraudo and Joy Tang through who I met you. Helen,
      please write more about your interests, your vision and your current
      situation. Are you interested to learn computer assembly, electronics
      assembly and to sell and service computers? Could you share with others in
      Uyoga what you learn? Might you represent Uyoga at a trashware course in
      Italy?

      I also think we should definitely include a representative of Actwid
      Kongadzem in Cameroon because of their longstanding interest in computers and
      wireless Internet access. Wendi, please, could you send us for the Public
      Domain descriptions of five or ten of your participants so we could learn
      more about them? How are they helping others? How would they like to?
      Perhaps they know... what is their deepest value in life that includes all of
      their other values? Perhaps they know... What is a question that they don't
      know the answer to, but wish to answer? We would like to know each of you as
      "independent thinkers" and work to include you in our network.

      Samwel, likewise, we are interested to learn about your participants! We
      invite all interested to send us their names and something about themselves
      for posting at our Worknets wiki in the Public Domain.

      Pamela, also we would be blessed with such answers from your participants in
      Teachers Talking and I look forward to our Thursday chat next week.

      Yes, Agnese is a wonderful host! and I enjoy getting to know Sasha. Today we
      hope to visit the Vatican.

      http://www.ms. lt
      ms@...
      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      ------------ --------- --------

      Hi Andrius,
      Congratulations for all you and others are
      brainstorming and doing.
      Please i am interested in the African name for the
      flash drives as you have suggested. So my own name is
      FOMONYUY.
      Accept greetings from all of us at ACTWID KONGADZEM
      RURAL WOMENS NGO. We all pray for you all to succeed
      in all your endevours on our behalf.
      Sincerely, Wendi and members

      ------------ --------- -------

      Dear Andrius and All,

      I am delighted to hear that you are working on this grant, as I checked it
      out too (when posted to the Rising Voices forum) and thought of us
      immediately. I assumed this would be a case of great minds thinking alike,
      haha!

      I also sent this to our planning taskforce of the Global Youth Coalition on
      HIV/AIDS, as we (I say as an adult ally) are doing some exciting and valuable
      work addressing HIV/AIDS in the e-learning context.

      Your questions and concerns are good ones, Andrius, and Asif has also given
      some important feedback today. One thing you say, which I want to highlight,
      is of utmost importance: the inclusion and co-leadership of women!

      Who do we have among us (ie women, in the communities) who can be involved?
      Helen perhaps, and some of the women whose Sam's project are helping/serving?
      Women will be, and need to be, some of the primary users of ICTs in this
      setting, but too often they are still overlooked (in part because of the
      gender inequalities which still exist). We can change that, at least in our
      work, and thanks to all for your support and sensitivity to this subject.

      I will be delighted and honored to provide a letter of support and/or
      recommendation. Shall I consider that a definite, or wait for an update from
      you, Andrius?

      Thanks to Maria Agnese for being the "hostess with the mostess", and Andrius
      and Sasha, please give her some huge hugs for me!! With greatest enthusiasm,
      encouragement, and blessings, Janet

      Project Title:

      Requested amount from Knight News Challenge:

      Expected amount of time to complete project:

      Total cost of project, including all sources of funding:

      Describe your project: (325 words)

      Who would want to use it, and why? (125 words)

      Why are you the best person or organization to develop this project?

      Upload up to 5 files of supporting material.

    • fdkayiwa
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
        ---The Bible in MATT:25:35 says that iwas ungry and you gave me some
        thing to eat
        was thisity and you gave me some thing to drink.
        In the same way if you help some people in uganda who are affected by
        floods, you are walking with the verse above.
        Iowuld not say this but honestly The people here are rely in danger
        In noth the type of houses built is for mud and when water came it
        took all the houses leaving the poor houseless people.
        when you give drugs, clothes, food you will have saved many lives here.
        i can honestly take your help and represent you.
        It is an urgency issue.
        Love from kayiwa fred
        +256782371003 KAMPALA UGANDA
      • tom ochuka
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
          Dear Fred,
          Greetings and to all..it is on novalue to transport
          abag of maiz to this place because doing that is the
          same cost even transport is more.
          Ishared this with thedeaf here and are just to
          sorrowfullof the fellow deafs there.
          Well as the bible saysletspray and come to
          help..please try.
          1 hope international.
          2 World relief
          3 Viva international
          4 Open door.
          If I GET MORE NEARER TO YOU i will just have other
          alternatives .
          be blessed
          fred
          DEAFIMPACT.
          --- fdkayiwa <fdkayiwa@...> wrote:

          > ---The Bible in MATT:25:35 says that iwas ungry and
          > you gave me some
          > thing to eat
          > was thisity and you gave me some thing to drink.
          > In the same way if you help some people in uganda
          > who are affected by
          > floods, you are walking with the verse above.
          > Iowuld not say this but honestly The people here are
          > rely in danger
          > In noth the type of houses built is for mud and when
          > water came it
          > took all the houses leaving the poor houseless
          > people.
          > when you give drugs, clothes, food you will have
          > saved many lives here.
          > i can honestly take your help and represent you.
          > It is an urgency issue.
          > Love from kayiwa fred
          > +256782371003 KAMPALA UGANDA

          Need a vacation? Get great deals
          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
          http://travel.yahoo.com/
        • tom ochuka
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
            Dear ALL,
            This is wonderfullespecially if the vision is
            achieved this means awealth of ideas especially to
            disabled persoins.
            Ipersona;ly have learnt tram work here...last
            weekend we had atelephone ..com with serina from
            sweden..akenyan with bidg heart for thedeaf.,.please
            give me your contacts.
            iam impredded with the idea ofasewmbling computers
            ..Andrius this is abig big thinkling soo mich
            undependent.
            DEAFIMPACT.

            === message truncated ===

            that gives answers, not web links.
          • tom ochuka
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
> [...]

              > Italy?
              >
              > I also think we should definitely include a
              > representative of Actwid
              > Kongadzem in Cameroon because of their longstanding
              > interest in computers and
              > wireless Internet access. Wendi, please, could you
              > send us for the Public
              > Domain descriptions of five or ten of your
              > participants so we could learn
              > more about them? How are they helping others? How
              > would they like to?
              > Perhaps they know... what is their deepest value in
              > life that includes all of
              > their other values? Perhaps they know... What is a
              > question that they don't
              > know the answer to, but wish to answer? We would
              > like to know each of you as
              > "independent thinkers" and work to include you in
              > our network.
              >
              > Samwel, likewise, we are interested to learn about
              === message truncated ===

              http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
            • serina
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2007
                Dear Tom And All,

                Networking is indeed a beautiful act. Tom, sorry about my forgetfulness. When we got off the phone I was so excited and started calling up some people I know to see what we can do as per our conversation. Have sent you an email address you can use to contact me quickest.
                God bless
                Regards,
                Serina.

                Serina