Re: [1village] eLearning Africa 2008 (Ghana): Jeff, Prince, All/Krishna

  • Prince Obiri-Mainoo
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
      I have something to post for you, Prince, which may be of interest to everyone. It is a report about KAIPPG (the HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit in Kenya whose international branch I run in the USA) and its ICTs activities, which in particular address lack of infrastructure in rural areas, poverty, and other pertinent issues.

      Hello Janet,

      Were you going to post a link for me to read the report? If so, there was no link in your mail. I have already visited Dr. Osei Darkwa's AAMCT at www.petriensa.com to see what new thing is going on. Once again, I was impressed and has sent him a letter to that effect. I am looking forward to reading about the impact of AAMCT's initiative has had on the people and the community. Thanks and good night!

      Prince

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
      Hello Dear Jeff, Prince, and All!

      Great to hear from you both, and delighted about Prince's report on the conference, especially your strengthened determination to address the obvious challenges you have described, not only of bringing ICTs to rural areas, but also giving those at the grassroots a proper voice at conferences on the subject in Europe and other developed countries.

      I have something to post for you, Prince, which may be of interest to everyone. It is a report about KAIPPG (the HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit in Kenya whose international branch I run in the USA) and its ICTs activities, which in particular address lack of infrastructure in rural areas, poverty, and other pertinent issues.

      You may find some of what we are doing to be informative for your own ideas and plans in Ghana, Prince, and also for others addressing these matters, as KAIPPG is based in rural western Kenya, is mainly an agricultural community where there is much poverty and lack of services, including healthcare, and where malnutrition and HIV/AIDS are perennial challenges.

      We have found ways to surmount some of the infrastructure issues, and to address the challenges I mentioned via use of ICTs--in particular for women--and we are always eager to learn as well, so look forward to hearing how others have approached these challenges too!

      On what Jeff has said below, this is a funny coincidence:   I am actually thinking of Dr Osei Darkwa of Patriensa's (Ghana) Asante Akim Multipurpose Community Telecentre, one of the first of its kind.  But Krishna Alluri of COL introduced GRASSUP NOW partners to Collins Osei of the Crops Research Institute (CGIAR-linked! ), who coincidentally is a GenARDIS award winner (a grant program focusing on women, agriculture, and technology).

      This is a note from Collins abt his work, and I am ccing him too (hi Collins!!):
      "I am interested in joining the team to write the abstract. I am a former GenARDIS grantee and has also been involved in a village project in Ghana that is trying to improve womens access to agricultural
      information via ICTs."

      That's excellent that Collins visited Winneba, and I hope that all of you will meet--including Marco (hello and thanks for the intro, Jeff!)--at or before the conference!  Marco, we're eager to hear your thoughts on the conference, e-learning, wireless, and more.

      I am now ccing Osei Darkwa, Hisenburg Togba (of MOPGEL, which provides ICTs-related and e-learning opportunities to people at the Buduburam Refugee Camp in Accra), and Jeremiah Burgess of SHIFSD (Self-Help Initiatives for Sustainable Development) , also at the Camp. I had bcc'd them before (so their addresses would not show up publicly), but I think it's time everyone knew each other's addresses. I am adding Collins, Prince, Kafui, and Jeff too (so we can hit "reply all").

      I love the idea of collaborating, Jeff and all, and hope we can do that!   I thought I'd cc Krishna too at this point, as he links us together in a special way, seeing as COL is providing support through its PROTEIN program for OVF/Winneba (Jeff, Kafui), and COL is now also a link between Pam McLean (CAWD-Nigeria and Kenya), David Mutua (CAWD-Kenya) , and John Dada (Fantsuam Foundation, Nigeria)--who work together--and the GRASSUP NOW partners in Kenya.

      I have just introduced Pam and David to the GRASSUP partners--also mentioning OVF in that context as well (both your past and possible future involvement) --and perhaps discussions and any resulting collaboration might be a link or even a model for how to approach synergies among us in Ghana.  And vice-versa, haha!

      On that smiley and excited note will close with greatest thanks and blessings, and look forward to e-learning and growing--in Ghana and throughout the globe--together! Janet