Re: [learningfromeachother] eLearning Africa 2008 (Ghana): Jeff, Prince, All/Krishna

  • David mutua
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
      Dear Janet, Jeff, Prince and All.
      Thanks Janet for giving more information of the networks and possible collaboration suggestions.

      For those don't have info about what i am coming from and do, my greatest interests are ICT4 development and education, I worked in Nigeria for 4 1/2 years initially 2 years as a VSO Volunteer and Project manager, that i helped established the COL/IITA supported Community Information Center - Farmers project in Ago - Are, later i moved to Fantsuam Foundation as their Project Manager and CawdNet (CAWD Network) National Coordinator in Nigeria the time Pam (TT Course developer), John Dada and I worked together on the first Teachers Talking at Fantsuam Foundation and i coordinated another COL supported project - Solar Cooking and the impact of videos in distance learning.

      I decided to relocate back in Kenya mid last year (2006) and started developing/establishing a programme that can build a transnational collaboration with friends, organizations and contacts i made out there to replicate and build on the experiences and ideas earned overtime through what Janet refers to CAWD -Kenya.
      Our (Charity for African Welfare and Development -
      CAWD) first project in Kenya is the Teacher Talking
      (TT), a training for teachers about ICT's that enables
      them to share with colleagues, pupils, communities and
      build their professional (Professional development).
      The TT Project has involved 28 schools in community,
      schools and other
      stakeholders consultation on ICT's and Education,
      ICT4 Education awareness, basic ICT Training workshop
      and six months Online discussion meetings.

      In Kenya, we've planned to establish Community Learning
      Information and Communication center (CLICC) programme that will
      coordinate/facilitate ICT based quality formal and informal
      learning/education and development projects in rural
      communities, such projects are Agriculture, Women,
      Health, Water and Environment and Youths, coordinated
      fully by the locals.

      The first TT Kenya team is doing local research
      collecting evidence of need through reports, lists
      (names) of indicated interest of ICT skills by their
      colleagues, need for Community Learning Center that
      facilitates ICT enabled training and development in
      Kangundo District, these will be communicated during
      TT meetings and online discussions.

      The whole district has over 50 secondary schools and
      one higher education institution established by the
      Catholic church, the Holy Rosary College, this is the
      place we conducted the TT Kenya training workshop and
      will be having our monthly meetings until we have our
      center, it is affiliated to Jomo Kenyatta University
      of Agriculture and Technology, the college offers
      secretarial studies and CISCO based IT courses, this
      the only place where we have Internet connectivity in
      the whole District, some of the teachers during the
      training and to attend the meeting travel 20km to the
      college from their schools. The challenges we are
      facing is that we pay for their accommodation and
      Internet connection very expensive rates because its
      the only one, there is little space and cant have full
      access of facilities because of students, sometimes
      when power goes we cant have the generator on,
      coordinating their staff to assist is difficult
      because we have no authority over the place and its
      located at the farthest end of the district near
      Nairobi abit urban not reaching the real rural schools
      and communities.

      We have around 10 schools those have at least one
      computer and lack well trained staff to maintain and
      offer quality ICT education, the schools hire
      outsiders to advise, install, train and maintain their
      systems, these outsiders are quit commercial and have
      no interests in building/developing a sustainable ICT
      based education system.

      We believe CAWD -Kenya with other interested partners
      is capable of developing a programme run by teachers
      (education expertise) and community development
      activists/thinkers that facilitates/coordinates ICT
      education and development in rural schools and
      communities.

      Just a personal opinion/suggestion, i think we need
      to look at ways of facilitating a well structured
      online and may be a F2F meeting (with agenda) at the E-Learning 2008
      Conference to discuss a
      well thought ideas on common areas of interest and
      concerns that will be able to consider addressing
      common needs, sharing our strengths and expertise and
      building common working groups.

      Welcome all, lets join efforts and make the change.

      With kind regards,

      David Mutua
      TT Kenya Project Manager and Coordinator
      CAWD Regional Coordinator and Returned VSO Volunteer.

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
      Hello Dear Jeff, Prince, and All!

      Great to hear from you both, and delighted about Prince's report on the conference, especially your strengthened determination to address the obvious challenges you have described, not only of bringing ICTs to rural areas, but also giving those at the grassroots a proper voice at conferences on the subject in Europe and other developed countries.

      I have something to post for you, Prince, which may be of interest to everyone. It is a report about KAIPPG (the HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit in Kenya whose international branch I run in the USA) and its ICTs activities, which in particular address lack of infrastructure in rural areas, poverty, and other pertinent issues.

      You may find some of what we are doing to be informative for your own ideas and plans in Ghana, Prince, and also for others addressing these matters, as KAIPPG is based in rural western Kenya, is mainly an agricultural community where there is much poverty and lack of services, including healthcare, and where malnutrition and HIV/AIDS are perennial challenges.

      We have found ways to surmount some of the infrastructure issues, and to address the challenges I mentioned via use of ICTs--in particular for women--and we are always eager to learn as well, so look forward to hearing how others have approached these challenges too!

      On what Jeff has said below, this is a funny coincidence:   I am actually thinking of Dr Osei Darkwa of Patriensa's (Ghana) Asante Akim Multipurpose Community Telecentre, one of the first of its kind.  But Krishna Alluri of COL introduced GRASSUP NOW partners to Collins Osei of the Crops Research Institute (CGIAR-linked! ), who coincidentally is a GenARDIS award winner (a grant program focusing on women, agriculture, and technology).

      This is a note from Collins abt his work, and I am ccing him too (hi Collins!!):
      "I am interested in joining the team to write the abstract. I am a former GenARDIS grantee and has also been involved in a village project in Ghana that is trying to improve womens access to agricultural
      information via ICTs."

      That's excellent that Collins visited Winneba, and I hope that all of you will meet--including Marco (hello and thanks for the intro, Jeff!)--at or before the conference!  Marco, we're eager to hear your thoughts on the conference, e-learning, wireless, and more.

      I am now ccing Osei Darkwa, Hisenburg Togba (of MOPGEL, which provides ICTs-related and e-learning opportunities to people at the Buduburam Refugee Camp in Accra), and Jeremiah Burgess of SHIFSD (Self-Help Initiatives for Sustainable Development) , also at the Camp. I had bcc'd them before (so their addresses would not show up publicly), but I think it's time everyone knew each other's addresses. I am adding Collins, Prince, Kafui, and Jeff too (so we can hit "reply all").

      I love the idea of collaborating, Jeff and all, and hope we can do that!   I thought I'd cc Krishna too at this point, as he links us together in a special way, seeing as COL is providing support through its PROTEIN program for OVF/Winneba (Jeff, Kafui), and COL is now also a link between Pam McLean (CAWD-Nigeria and Kenya), David Mutua (CAWD-Kenya) , and John Dada (Fantsuam Foundation, Nigeria)--who work together--and the GRASSUP NOW partners in Kenya.

      I have just introduced Pam and David to the GRASSUP partners--also mentioning OVF in that context as well (both your past and possible future involvement) --and perhaps discussions and any resulting collaboration might be a link or even a model for how to approach synergies among us in Ghana.  And vice-versa, haha!

      On that smiley and excited note will close with greatest thanks and blessings, and look forward to e-learning and growing--in Ghana and throughout the globe--together! Janet

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
        Hi Janet and everyone,

        Thank you Janet for these introductions.

        I am thinking how best we can all explore our various interests to find areas of overlap.  I suggest we try to get together for an on-line chat.

        If anyone is available at such sort notice, I invite you to join me tomorrow (this Thursday October 4th). Thanks to Andrius I have started holding regular e-meetings on the first Thursday in the month at the WorkNet chat room. The usual starting time is16:00 Kenya time, 14:00 London, 9:00 New York.  which I know is a bit early for some people in USA, but that time is not too late for our friends in East Africa (who have to travel to cyber cafes and may well have difficulties getting home after dark.)

        This week I am planning to look at collaboration, (initially focusing on the TT Kenya project and how we can collaborate with the participants - to everyone's benefit).  However the topic of collaboration can cover much more that TT Kenya.  We can include whatever projects are dear to the heart of people who attend - as long as we all as focus on collaboration. There will probably be people in the chat room for a couple of hours. Call in whenever suits you. We usually start off in an informal way - then get more focussed, with the help of a chairman - and finish up with more informal chat and networking opportunities.

        Prince - ref groups and your planned work in Ghana - I hope to give you a proper reply - maybe there will be
        an opportunity in the chat room - or at the next audiographic meeting - or please contact me off list to arrange a Skype call.

        Pam

        On 02/10/2007, Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Prince Obiri-Mainoo
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
          I have something to post for you, Prince, which may be of interest to everyone. It is a report about KAIPPG (the HIV/AIDS and development nonprofit in Kenya whose international branch I run in the USA) and its ICTs activities, which in particular address lack of infrastructure in rural areas, poverty, and other pertinent issues.

          Hello Janet,

          Were you going to post a link for me to read the report? If so, there was no link in your mail. I have already visited Dr. Osei Darkwa's AAMCT at www.petriensa.com to see what new thing is going on. Once again, I was impressed and has sent him a letter to that effect. I am looking forward to reading about the impact of AAMCT's initiative has had on the people and the community. Thanks and good night!

          Prince

          Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
[...]

          Prince M. Obiri-Mainoo
          M. Ed. (Technology in Education)
          Executive Director

          National Africa Foundation
          http://www.nationalafricafoundation.org
          P. O. Box 30237
          Worcester, MA 01602-0237
          U. S. A.

          Tel: + 1 508-425-4614
          Fax: +1 (508) 949-3222

          E-mail: nationalafrica@...

          Your gifts and abilities could become lasting legacies for generations to come. Use them now to bless humanity!

          “Only the best is good enough for Africa” Rev. Dr. James E. Kwegyir Aggrey (1875-1927) -An eminent Ghanaian clergy, missionary, educationist and visionary!