Re: [holistichelping] Re: [learningfromeachother] DIY Solar eNotice - Patrick in Kenya

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi Janet

      Yes Graham and I have known each other for some years.

      I took DIY starter kits to David Mutua and to John Dada. (We tended to call it Pocket Solar rather than DIY solar - as we were interested in people assembling for sale rather than personal use. However my impression is that although people in Nigeria  learned about assembly I don't think there was any progress of developing  a business model, partly because there were not enough samples for any serious market research.) I also met Anna Pearce through Graham, and took her book about Wilberforce and the street children and the Anahat  cooker to David as well, which started our interest in solar cooking.

      David knows the details. A considerable amount of time was put in and useful lessons learned, but no breakthroughs on practical implementation as far as I know.

      Pam

      On 30/09/2007, Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:

      Dear Pam and All,

      Excellent reference, and I wanted to point out that the Kibera Community Youth Programme (KCYP)
      has been working with Graham and DIY for some time, on the fabrication of solar panels for income-
      generation. They may know something abt Patrick, and in any case! For more on their program, which is
      a wonderful example and model--which TT Kenya could learn something from--see www.kcyp.net, and contact
      Fred Ouko at kcyp2000@....

      Interestingly, during one of the Global Learn Day events I helped to organize a few years ago,
      we were able to speak with Fred directly, and Andrius too was in on that conversation!

      You have a link with Graham and DIY, do you not? I thought I'd say that I've had some experience
      with him myself, as he asked if I could help with the import issues related to the panels. I
      could not in a direct way in the end, though I gave it a go. It was an illuminating conversation,
      and there is much to learn. Jeff of OVF also has had a similar connection.

      I have just subscribed to the TT Kenya group, though not in time for this posting. However, I will
      include it in one I'll do when I am subscribed, this about a conversation that Krishna Alluri of COL
      has had with the GRASSUP partners today. David's message to me regarding networking for TT Kenya is
      therefore timely, and I hope we can work together more closely in this capacity!

      With greatest thanks and all best wishes, Janet