How might Samwel in Kenya help with our projects?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2006
      Samwel Kongere in Kenya is available to help us with various projects
      that we might have at our lab. I have agreed to provide and send him
      $100 for him if he can find somebody at our lab that he might work
      openly for on some project. This is enough money for two months of
      part-time work.

      Lucas, Janet, Jeff, Franz, Pamela and all, please consider if there's a
      project that you would like Samwel to help you with. It should be a
      project which results in open work including letters to our groups, chat
      transcripts sent to our groups, wiki pages created, research done and
      shared, or anything like that. You would need to be in touch with
      Samwel by email and/or chat and/or possibly Skype. See my thoughts in
      my chat further below. Samwel's email is: samkongere2004-AT-yahoo.com

      This is an opportunity to have a field agent in rural Kenya, near Mbita
      and Lake Victoria. I think of Michael Franz Reinisch of
      http://www.globalmilling.com who I met through Franz Nahrada here in
      Vienna, and who is looking for buyers of an innovative mobile mill that
      keeps a grain's nutritious germ rather than throw it away.

      Or I think of Nikos's work on social housing. Nikos, perhaps you know
      of a person who might like to work with Samwel so that Samwel collects
      ideas and interviews?

      The best projects for us would be those where Samwel can work openly as
      a researcher. And I think he can do his best work if it relates to his
      key concept "Motivation through sacrifice" and his investigatory
      question "How I can find for myself and live comfortably while helping
      others?" Please note also that I will send Samwel my money as soon as
      the project is defined and the work has started. This is so that he can
      provide for himself and his family, the project be understood as our
      co-investment, and the money not be used as pressure.

      I think it is fantastic that we have this opportunity to work with an
      intelligent and motivated researcher in rural Africa. This is a very
      inexpensive way to give our work great meaning. I can provide the
      money, but I need somebody to work directly with Samwel so that the work
      is open and visible at our lab, but I do not have to involve myself
      directly.

      I share Samwel's letter and our chat.
      More about Samwel here:
      http://www.openleader.info/wiki.cgi?SamwelKongere

      samuel kongere wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >
      > I believe in the concepts and my concept has always been
      > "motivativation through suffering".Some sacrifice to help others while
      > I also help myself. These are the words of value to me and hope
      > through them I will be able to work with or for any member Of our groups.
      >
      > I am now doing own community Transectional drive to get some actual
      > informations and identify the government protocol in creating
      > awareness on sanitation regarding bird flu. This is going to apply
      > very well if I have information about groups vetting for information
      > and appraisals. In this field I can be happy to work with Lucas as he
      > is convasant with our country and his knowledge on bird Flu.
      >
      > In the other aspect, i am going to get groups environmental
      > information to help get them prepared for the Bird flu. Any interested
      > person in our groups can get me through to help the projects. This is
      > going to make me have community based information and school based
      > information. These bases will help in making information monitoring
      > and evaluations for calamity preparedness.
      >
      > I am also of the opinion to find problems affecting our slum dwellers
      > and more problems which are being caused by up coming settlements. Any
      > body can help if he/ she needs some information about settlement and
      > slum improvement.Any interested member can contact me and we see away
      > forward to get info about these projects and we can work together.
      >
      > Thanks I would hope hear your comments and work together.
      >
      > Samwel

      Samwel and Andrius chat 2006.06.06
      Samwel: Hello Andrius :: Long time

      Andrius: Hi Samwel!

      Samwel: fine and trying myself to hear from you

      Andrius: yes :: How are you doing? I am happy with your
      work for us. Thank you.

      Samwel: how was your trip?

      Andrius: I am still traveling. I am in Vienna visiting Franz
      Nahrada.

      Samwel: Pass my regards to Him

      Andrius: Yes, I just did. He says hello. :: He invites you
      to write about your local activities as a picture so that an outsider
      could understand more of what you and your colleagues are doing. ::
      Also, I met with Michael of http://www.globalmilling.com :: They are
      selling a mobile mill for about 150,000 euros that may be useful in
      Kenya because it keeps the grain's germ and thus its nutrition. Modern
      milling technologies throw away the germ. Also, this mill can be used
      with a variety of crops and moved in different seasons. :: Perhaps
      you know somebody who might be interested? :: You can write to
      Michael Franz Reinisch at mfr AT globalmilling.com

      Samwel: are you usnig a different version Of Yahoo.

      Andrius: yes :: I am using Kopete messenger

      Samwel: you went missing

      Andrius: I will log out and try the regular Yahoo :: one moment

      Samwel: wonder to me :: ok

      Andrius: Hi Samwel, are you there?

      Samwel: yes tell me what ever plan you have for me

      Andrius: do you have work now for somebody?

      Samwel: i am not working for anybody neither there is no work
      for me

      Andrius: My plan for you now is that you find somebody in our
      lab that you could help. For example, Lucas.

      Samwel: ok

      Andrius: If you can work with them, then I can probably find a
      little bit of money.

      Samwel: ON what particularly?

      Andrius: But I need you to work publicly for them, not for me.
      :: The best would be to relate it to your key concept "motivation
      through sacrifice" and your investigatory question :: What did you
      learn from your interviews?

      Samwel: Too much on how information is important for development

      Andrius: One thing that I need help with is writing first hand
      accounts of how people learned about their "money mind" :: You are a
      good writer

      Samwel: ok go on :: money mind is?

      Andrius: So I will try to write some sample stories of how I
      and others learned new principles because our old ways of thinking got
      us stuck :: "Money mind" is how we think about money, value, wealth,
      giving, working and other such topics.

      Samwel: fine

      Andrius: Another topic to work on is helping Nikos Salingaros,
      he is writing a paper on how to make social housing livable.

      Samwel: i had such information in my interview

      Andrius: Yes, very good. :: Do you have housing for the
      poor in Kenya?

      Samwel: Ihave seen such

      Andrius: One thing to study is how poor people live in slums
      and in state housing.

      Samwel: yes it is A social problem :: definately

      Andrius: What are good "patterns"? What makes the housing more
      "alive", "wholesome", "positive"? :: How can it be better?

      Samwel: I have heard about many problems and we have the
      langest slums in Africa

      Andrius: Another project is to help Janet somehow. We should
      ask her what would be helpful. Perhaps you can be her secretary. She
      can give letters for you to help respond to.

      Samwel: going in to the slums and finding Inforamtion on the
      government protocol on slums improvement

      Andrius: yes and talking to people :: what they think would
      make things better :: or what makes things better

      Samwel: I love the way you are coming up ask Janet about that

      Andrius: Another person to help is Lucas with the bird flu.
      :: How can we help people prepare for bird flu?

      Samwel: ...and remember I am only in a new beginning to start
      capacity building trainings on FOSS

      Andrius: One idea is for you to go into the slums and see who
      the natural leadership is, and how to work with them, how to support
      them if there is a human flu pandemic. :: Or, for example, how to
      support them with the current HIV/AIDS pandemic.

      Samwel: We had talked with Lucas but I am still waiting His
      response

      Andrius: How are they dealing with that? And how can we help?
      :: Another person to help is Franz Nahrada. He is working on "video
      bridges". Is there a center with good Internet access that has a web
      camera and would like to build video bridges with us?

      Samwel: We had gone through this in our discusion with Ken and
      Henry and nobody seems to be helping share the info :: Not near me
      but a bit far , there are

      Andrius: Another person to help is Jeff Buderer of One Village
      http://www.onevillage.biz And another is Pamela McLean of CAWD
      http://www.cawd.net They are interested in distance learning in Africa.
      :: Maybe Pamela would be interested in working with you on the flash
      cards.

      Samwel: Get them Across my line please

      Andrius: You have a computer at home now, yes? :: Another
      idea is for you to learn PHP/MySQL programming and help us build tools
      for our websites.

      Samwel: no at a centre 10 km away

      Andrius: And you could organize distance learning for website
      programming.

      Samwel: These are the Tech I need :: surely

      Andrius: So I will share our chat. It's important that you
      write letters and see who responds and be patient and try to work with
      them. :: You are making great progress.

      Samwel: send me other info

      Andrius: I can provide a little bit of money for your work, but
      you need to find somebody to work for and develop a small project with
      them, and maintain contact with them. :: This way we involve more
      people.

      Samwel: ....and remember Janet is having the proposal

      Andrius: yes :: you mention that "information is important
      for development" :: what kind of information is most important to you?

      Samwel: yes :: The money you say will be for what project?
      :: Inwardly technology information Updates and such like development
      is Important :: Sharing information is also Important to me and My
      commuinty for development

      Andrius: I can send you $100 for a project if you can find
      somebody in our laboratory who you could do the project for, and who
      would work with you.

      Samwel: I had identified Lucas on the prepared for the bird flu

      Andrius: Yes, he might be interested.

      Samwel: And while I was Nairobi before falling sick I had many
      loophole

      Andrius: Please tell me more about your family's grain business.

      Samwel: to see how our country can be prepaid not just saying
      being free :: Our village people spend with folkens in side their
      houses and starting from here is important info :: Yes our grain
      business is what my family depends on

      Andrius: Do you sell the grain? Do you mill the grain?

      Samwel: ....and currently we were focusing on buying astore but
      we ahven't reaced the amount required for the purcahse :: We had
      seling grains on the retail level but hope to expand and this forms the
      future plans :: We don't mill the grains but sell to those who mill it

      Andrius: Is it possible that you could find a buyer for an
      innovative mill? such as the ones sold by http://www.globalmilling.com ?
      :: Or that you could prepare a list of potential buyers?

      Samwel: Now this needs too much concentration baseline survey
      before giving details

      Andrius: This is one possible work that you could do. I spoke
      with Michael Franz Reinisch and I recommend that he hire you for such
      work if you are interested. And then the two of you should structure
      your relationship so that he pays you a minimum for your time and also a
      good commission if you make a sale, or help make a sale.

      Samwel: Wonderful let me check on the link

      Andrius: I think that a next step in all these projects is for
      you to write more about yourself and your local activities.

      Samwel: ....and send his contacts :: yes ...and when do you
      that

      Andrius: His email is mfr AT globalmilling.com

      Samwel: That will be possibe to be received by you?

      Andrius: You should write to our groups. :: And to him and
      you can CC me.

      Samwel: Can i email him now

      Andrius: yes

      Samwel: good

      Andrius: Also, for our lab, it would be helpful if you wrote
      more about your question, "How I can find for Myself and live
      Comfortably while helping others?" What are you learning about that?

      Samwel: are you prepared to send me the amount sooner

      Andrius: no

      Samwel: thanks

      Andrius: first you'll have to structure a project with
      somebody. That may be hard!

      Samwel: Ok I will go ahead and see what to do and proceed

      Andrius: ok

      Samwel: i am sending mails to the and you can as well send some
      info about me for those you think can be happy working with me

      Andrius: ok :: thank you for chatting with me! :: and
      thank you for your work for our lab!

      Samwel: thanks can you tell janet About this?

      Andrius: yes :: peace

      Samwel: I hope you will keep informed

      Andrius: let's write through our groups

      Samwel: byes

      Andrius: bye
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2006
        Helmut,
        Wonderful!
        This is all great. Let's wait a week to see what others might suggest,
        and what Samwel thinks. I am very happy that you might work with
        Samwel. And I think this would be great for his technical skills, just
        the right level. I wonder how this might link with Pamela McLean's and
        Jeff Buderer's http://www.onevillage.biz work on distance learning,
        perhaps they might have thoughts on how they or others they know might
        participate.
        Andrius