Re: [learningfromeachother] EuroAfrica 3rd. ICT Annual Meeting Ends in Brussels!

  • Prince Obiri-Mainoo
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28 4:48 PM
      Hi, Pam:

      I am still in Germany and will give details of my Ghana/Africa 'outreach' on my return. Jeff has done so well with his response and will get back to him as well. Thank you all for your collective voices on behalf of Africa and her people.

      Prince

      Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:
      Prince

      Thanks for sending your report.

      Ref "At the end of the meeting, my conviction of going back to Africa to undertake a major computer initiative had been substantiated."

      Please tell us more about what you are thinking of doing. Maybe you would consider leading one of our online meetings to share your ideas - either in the chat room or one of the LearnByDoing Trainerspod audiographic meetings.

      Ref " That greater percentage of Africa´s economy depends on its rural population of about 70% who till the land....ICT, through elearning and other computing education outlets would be needed to... Getting to know what is going on elsewhere among other people who also live on the land would be a big motivation and economic booster  towards a more productive agricultural and other economic ventures."

      We are in agreement about this. It is part of the long term vision of TT. I believe that ICT awareness is most easily planted in communities by teaching teachers about ICT. They are the easiest target group for various reasons, which of course you will know. They are literate, they speak English, they have a readiness to learn about ICT because that knowledge is relevant to their present work and/or future career prospects.  They are also leaders in their communities. They are often already well established as channels of information, and well placed to share what they know with the wider community. Many of them are practicing farmers as well as teachers - and even if they are not their extended families are.

      Let as explore how we can work together on our complementary interests.

      Perhaps you can come to the chatroom when the Kenya TT people are there - I woudl love them to benefit from your ideas..

      Pam

      On 28/09/2007, Prince Obiri-Mainoo <nationalafrica@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Hello,

      The 3rd. Annual EuroAfrica ICT meeting ended yesterday at European Commission building # 25 in Brussels, Belgium. As expected, there was a strong European presence with a disproportionally less African participation. I was the only Ghanaian and participant from the United States there with Kenya dominating with four representatives, about three coming from South Africa, and one Tanzanian based in South Africa who actually gave the keynote address. The other speaker coming from Ghana, Kwame O. Boateng from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in Kumasi was not given a visa - so unfortunate! .

      The conference itself highlighted on the numerous problems of Sub- Sahara Africa and how Europe through the European Union, could intervene through its ongoing ICT initiatives. At the end of the meeting, my conviction of going back to Africa to undertake a major computer initiative had been substantiated. That greater percentage of Africa´s economy depends on its rural population of about 70% who till the land. Unfortunately, most of these are either semi or outright illiterates. To help improve the situation, ICT, through elearning and other computing education outlets would be needed to make the rural folks educated and connected to the rest of the world through the Internet. Getting to know what is going on elsewhere among other people who also live on the land would be a big motivation and economic booster  towards a more productive agricultural and other economic ventures. Thank you all for reading!

      Prince M. Obiri-Mainoo
      M. Ed. (Technology in Education)
      Executive Director

      National Africa Foundation
      http://www.nationalafricafoundation. org
      P. O. Box 30237
      Worcester, MA 01602-0237
      U. S. A.

      Tel: + 1 508-425-4614
      Fax: +1 (508) 949-3222

      E-mail: nationalafrica@yahoo.com

      Your gifts and abilities could become lasting legacies for generations to come. Use them now to bless humanity!

      "Only the best is good enough for Africa" Rev. Dr. James E. Kwegyir Aggrey (1875-1927) -An eminent Ghanaian clergy, missionary, educationist and visionary!

      Prince M. Obiri-Mainoo
      M. Ed. (Technology in Education)
      Executive Director

      National Africa Foundation
      http://www.nationalafricafoundation.org
      P. O. Box 30237
      Worcester, MA 01602-0237
      U. S. A.

      Tel: + 1 508-425-4614
      Fax: +1 (508) 949-3222

      E-mail: nationalafrica@...

      Your gifts and abilities could become lasting legacies for generations to come. Use them now to bless humanity!

      “Only the best is good enough for Africa” Rev. Dr. James E. Kwegyir Aggrey (1875-1927) -An eminent Ghanaian clergy, missionary, educationist and visionary!

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?