Knight Foundation and MTV Partner on $500,000 "Young Creator's Award" to Fund Digital Journalism Projects

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2007
      From the "Rising Voices" Forum:

      Hi All:

      For the next week I'll be traveling around Kenya and Uganda and regular internet access might be difficult to come by. There is also some exciting news early in the week - especially for the younger individuals on this mailing list, so I'm going to go ahead and send out this week's newsletter a few days early.

      Knight Foundation and MTV Partner on $500,000 "Young Creators Award" to Fund Digital Journalism Projects that Strengthen Community Ties

      MTV and the Knight Foundation have just announced that a special category of the upcoming Knight News Challenge will "award up to $500,000 to young creators with compelling ideas for using digitally delivered news and information to enhance physical communities - improving the lives of people where they live, work and vote."

      "The Young Creators Award is open to young community-minded innovators worldwide with big ideas such as: anything that informs and inspires community using bits and bytes; new ways to deliver news on emerging platforms, such as cell phone documentaries; new types of operating software for news collectors; and journalism games.

      All entries require three elements: 1) use of a digital media; 2) delivery of news or information on a shared basis to 3) a geographically defined community.  Although there is a category for commercial applications, most entries are "open-source" and must share the software and knowledge created.  The number of grants awarded will be based on the size of the ideas; no idea is too large or too small."

      You can find out more at http://think.mtv.com/ and www.youngcreatorsaward.com

      Two new resources on citizen journalism

      I know I've been promising it for weeks now, but the first in a series of Rising Voices outreach guides is nearly finished. Before we announce the guide publicly I will first distribute it on this list. I hope that you can give feedback and let us know how it can be improved to better serve your outreach project or proposed project.

      In the meantime, two different groups have just recently released their own guides on citizen journalism. Wendell Cochran and Amy  Eisman have put together Tools for Citizen Journalists: Deeper reporting builds community and the International Journalists' Network has just released a Flash-based guide titled  10 Steps to Citizen Journalism Online.

      -----

      And that's it for this week. We've got a lot of exciting stuff in the works including our own soon-to-be-released  Introduction to Citizen Media and a new Rising Voices websites. Plus updates from our five fantastic projects and a date announcement for the next round of microgrants. Stay tuned.