Welcome and getting to know each other.

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22 9:27 AM
      Welcome Tom - and other recent arrivals here at Learning From Each Other.

      Thank you to Janet and Andrius for bringing people in and making them
      welcome. I hope that just as we are *all Learning* From Each Other we
      will also *all help to welcome * newcomers and encourage each other.

      Thanks to everyone who has posted recently - I have really enjoyed
      reading and learning from you - and I am pleased to see an emphasis
      amongst the group on practicalities and learning by doing, and sharing
      our hopes and thoughts.

      I am concerned to find an effective way to collect up information about
      each other, and access it easily, so that people with shared interests
      will be helped to recognise and find each other. Also - where we are not
      able to immediately respond to an interest - we need a way to make sure
      that interest remains visible.

      Can we rub minds on how best to do that?

      Pam.

      Janet Feldman wrote:

      >Dear Tom and All,
      >
      >So happy to see you here, Tom, and I have no doubt that this forum will be of help to you, especially with folks like Pam McLean, who has done wonders with all forms of learning and communication in Nigeria. Pam, Tom Ochuka is head of Deaf Impact Ministry in Kisumu Kenya. He needs any type of learning materials with which people who are deaf can communicate and get an education. His dream is to develop a learning center along these lines. He would also like to work with film and with the arts, allowing people who are deaf to "speak" to the world in this way, and to "hear/see" educational messages as well.
      >
      >With greatest thanks for any feedback and activities we might do along these lines to help Tom and those he serves, and blessings and best wishes always, Janet

    • Janet Feldman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22 9:54 AM
        Dear Pam and All,

        Thanks so much, and great minds think alike (though is that the rub, haha?!), because I have been having the same questions and challenges at HH and my ActALIVE forum, and am sure Andrius, Franz, John, Jeff/Joy, and others have been experiencing this as well.

        Would summaries or a monthly posting of a list of needs (and those who have expressed same) be helpful? And possibly other issues?

        I'll be thinking out loud on this as well, and am sure that we can "rub-a-dub-dub" till we put some fire in our thinking "tub"!! All best wishes and to 100% virtual visibility, Janet

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 23 2:44 PM
          Pamela McLean: I am concerned to find an effective way to collect up
          information about each other, and access it easily, so that people with
          shared interests will be helped to recognise and find each other. Also -
          where we are not able to immediately respond to an interest - we need a
          way to make sure that interest remains visible.

          Janet Feldman: Would summaries or a monthly posting of a list of needs
          (and those who have expressed same) be helpful? And possibly other issues?

          Hi Janet, Pamela,

          I'm glad for your interest in this. I want to point out what I've done
          so far with our website http://www.ms.lt With your help and that of
          other leaders at our lab, we'll be able to help each other more with our
          workflow.

          Every day we write about 10 to 20 letters to our lab's various groups.
          These letters are aggregated at our home page http://www.ms.lt so that
          you can monitor all the groups at once. Recently, I created an
          interface http://www.ms.lt/?edit=edit that lets us tag each letter
          according to its contribution to our work flow.

          So, for example, we can look at Introductions and see the new people who
          we should be sure to greet and make a special effort to respond to, or
          reach out to other people who may be introduced to us.
          http://www.ms.lt/?action=Introduction
          Welcome to Tom Ochuka, Vita Gudyniene! and thank you to Tom Wayburn,
          Bronius Tamulynas, Benoit Couture, Jeff Buderer and all for suggestions
          of people and groups we might reach out to.

          We can also see our Requests for Help:
          http://www.ms.lt/?action=RequestForHelp
          Christine Bärnthaler asks for help to contact K B Jinan in India, Janet
          Feldman to organize Global Learn Day 10, Maria Agnese Giraudo to learn
          about learning ICT.

          We have many Projects!
          http://www.ms.lt/?action=Project
          including Tomas Taskauskas's poetry camp. Dante-Gabryell Monson's is
          making excellent use of our "all purpose basket"
          publicdomain@yahoogroups.com to have us think about Minciu Sodas's role
          to help interconnect networks such as the Travelling School of Life and
          finding a good place at our lab for those interested in direct democracy
          (perhaps Back to the Root?). John Waters is thinking further about a
          community currency design tool. Giuseppe Platania is looking for
          software to help build local communities. Ramunas Janavicius is
          interested in book exchanges.

          I wish to especially encourage our Investigations
          http://www.ms.lt/?action=Investigation
          Special thank you to Tom Wayburn and all who helped him at Cyfranogi and
          Global Villages. Also, thank you to all who have been helping me
          collect first-hand experiences about our "money mind", see:
          http://www.ms.lt/?action=Experience

          It's almost strange that 80% or more of our letters seem to have a clear
          purpose with regard to our workflow, which might include:
          - Kind words: http://www.ms.lt/?action=KindWords
          - Reporting outcomes: http://www.ms.lt/?action=Outcome
          - Noting propects for our services: http://www.ms.lt/?action=Prospect
          And there are about 20 in all, and with your help we can fine tune our
          categories. And if a letter really should have more than one tag, you
          can always send a copy to publicdomain@yahoogroups.com and nobody will
          receive it but it will enter our system.

          We've earlier created a group for helping Franz Nahrada, Janet Feldman
          and others respond to the many requests for help that they get. I've
          now renamed this group notyetpublic@yahoogroups.com and so this will be
          a place where we can forward such incoming correspondence and give it a
          publicly appropriate title and first few lines but keep the bulk of the
          letter private and see who among us might engage the author and help
          them work openly. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notyetpublic/

          Pamela, Janet, Benoit and all, I will be traveling so it would be a
          great help if you might do some of the tagging, especially for your own
          groups such as:
          http://www.ms.lt/?venue=LFEO&edit=edit
          http://www.ms.lt/?venue=HH&edit=edit
          http://www.ms.lt/?venue=LG&edit=edit
          or simply at http://www.ms.lt/?edit=edit
          I have created a link to the latter at the bottom of each page.

          As we tag, then it will be straightforward for us to make monthly
          summaries which we can then share with more groups at our lab as well as
          beyond.

          And it will also become natural, I think, to start to organize some of
          this content at our wikis, especially through the questionnaire-drive
          interface that I hope to build this coming month.

          Thank you to us all for helping each other and learning how to do that
          ever more lovingly and effectively!

          I invite our ideas on how we might do this even better!

          +370 (5) 264 5950
          +370 (699) 30003
          Vilnius, Lithuania
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 23 4:09 PM
            Andrius Kulikauskas wrote:

            >... Every day we write about 10 to 20 letters to our lab's various groups.
            >These letters are aggregated at our home page http://www.ms.lt so that
            >you can monitor all the groups at once.

            That is useful - please keep reminding us about it ;-)

            >Recently, I created an
            >interface http://www.ms.lt/?edit=edit that lets us tag each letter
            >according to its contribution to our work flow
            >

            >Pamela, Janet, Benoit and all, I will be travelling so it would be a
            >great help if you might do some of the tagging, especially for your own
            >groups ...
            >As we tag, then ... make monthly
            >summaries which we can then share......
            >And it will also become natural, I think, to start to organize some of
            >this content at our wikis, especially through the questionnaire-drive
            >interface that I hope to build this coming month.

            I've checked that link. I thought I'd try one out to see if I had the
            right idea...
            The last letter was this one, so I went to the drop down menu to make my
            choice for this letter. I confess I was immediately a bit bewildered.
            I've never tagged anything before.

            I looked at the list. I wasn't sure what all the words on the list
            really meant in this context - but never mind - it looks like you can
            only choose one - so I just had to choose the single most relevant
            choice. In this letter it's fairly obvious - you are asking for some
            help with tagging and I am hoping to give some help - even if I do not
            succeed in giving all the help you want I can at least try to do some.

            As I understand it tagging is a kind of filing system - so it seems
            natural to put a tag which tells me how to file your letter away - i.e
            what I should do about it - so I was going to choose "give help" but I
            guess that would be wrong - it would be too personal and a step too far.
            I suppose I have to step back and simply mark the contents for the
            benefit of anyone who might read it - i.e. that you are requesting help.

            I hope that is right.

            I will try to explore the site some more to see if it is possible to put
            more than one tag, and I will try to work out what some of the other
            words mean sufficiently to know when to choose them - but I do not feel
            confident yet that I will be very helpful to you.

            You are also suggesting monthly summaries on the wiki - I still have a
            reluctance regarding wikis, as you may remember,. However they are not
            quite so strange to me now as they were in the past, so perhaps I will
            gradually come around to contributing to yours - but at present I
            confess I feel heavy hearted at the prospect

            I hope your travels go well - and that you will be back with us again soon.

            Pam
          • tom ochuka
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 26 11:38 PM
              The producers of materials can change their minds but
              the materials cant change while his materials can
              change the lives of the users ,so this is where the
              deaf are they can be chnged with what they read and
              see,
              We are developing agroup session where we go round
              the city collecting books for the deaf here and
              magazine like national geographic and so on .
              In our recent collection we have some cds too from
              the friends of the deaf we need computers ,to start
              with,
              We arev so happy that the deaf easily read and
              immediately change thier life stles.

              LETS GET ALONG TO SEE THEM CHENGED
              Help assist this center.
              DEAFIMPACT.