Any news about the Solo low-power computer?

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2007
      CC: Explan

      David Mutua,

      Ricardo noticed in your program "CawdNet in Kenya"
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?CawdNet that you plan to work with Solo
      computers. I read in this March 2006 article
      that it is being organized by Ochuko Onoberhie of the Fantsuam Foundation
      http://www.fantsuam.org in Nigeria and the British company Explan are
      partners and there is a prototype http://www.explan.co.uk/hardware/solo.shtml
      I note that Pamela Mclean of CAWDNET http://www.cawd.net is an active partner
      of Fantsuam and she leads our Minciu Sodas laboratory's worknet Learning From
      Each Other http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/

      I have recently started to organize the design and manufacture of a device
      for reading and writing text files (such as emails) that are stored on USB
      flash drives. http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FlashDriveEditor I'm
      interested to speak with Explan if they might like to partner with us. We
      need especially help in hardware design and assembly. I will be traveling
      soon to Italy and making contacts there with "trashware" activists.

      Do you or Pamela have any news about the Solo computer? Can you help us
      contact Explan or others involved in this effort? Perhaps we might synergize
      our efforts! In particular, I note that have purchased more flash drives (we
      have a total of 40) and am finishing putting together our content (more
      suggestions welcome) and we might also think about distributing them and
      selling them in Africa.

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Hi Andrius
      I wondered whether you were aware of a low-power computer
      project called the Solo, that the CawdNet Worknets group are working on. The
      USB Flash Drive editor and the Solo projects might benefit from some

      Part of their page at http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?CawdNet says...

      The Solo Computer: - Solo, an ultra – low powered computer that takes 8.5w
      of power, including the LCD screen, as compared to 300w-500w of mains
      electricity required by many modern Pentium-powered systems. Moreover the
      Solo computers can use a variety of power sources, and are not tied to solar
      energy. ). It is designed for Africa, to be assembled in Africa. This Solo
      project will facilitate implementation of those aspects of the policy that
      will bring in new skills and open up marketing opportunities for rural-based
      ICT enterprises in Africa. The Solo Project is a catalyst project that will
      generate high technology investment employments in rural communities. The
      Solo is designed so that its assembly, transfer of training, and maintenance
      can be done locally.

      I haven't contacted them myself yet, in case you already knew about it. It
      doesn't say whether it's a development project of their own or a commercial
      product. If you know about it already, could you fill me in please?