David Sasaki: Some Contacts/JUMP/Steve Shames

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2007
      Dear Andrius, David, and All,

      Wonderful to hear from you both, and I've written to David privately too (as he requested) after your last communications. I wasn't sure abt his email capacity so haven't done an extensive networking mail yet. Note some email addresses cc'd in this note, including Fred's.

      Fred has recently been in contact with a dynamic youth org in Uganda called "Youth With A Vision", which we first discovered via a posting from Benoit at HH and other forums (on "Minnie" grants from Disney, of which several have gone to this group).

      They are doing inspiring work with arts and media to address HIV/AIDS and development topics, so David and Fred might want to meet with them too.

      In Nakuru and Nairobi are participants in the youth storytelling project, JUMP (www.jumptochangetheworld.org), whose creator--American educator, Robin Worley--is in the Rising Voices forum. Dennis Kimambo (ActALIVE, Holistic Helping, and REPACTED), Jacqy Kowa (National Association of Peer Educators), Fred Ouko (www.kcyp.net), and Felix Masi (www.voicelesschildren.org) are all in Nairobi and Nakuru.

      Dennis Kimambo will be coming to the USA in October, so you might meet with him there too, and I believe he's also in the Rising Voices forum. Felix Masi, a photographer and multimedia artist, has recently helped to produce the forthcoming film, "A Grandmother's Tribe" (abt grandmothers caring for their HIV/AIDS-orphaned grandchildren)--filmed in Kenya--and he has just been chosen to work on the "Listen Up!" film project (with a focus on youth, development, and the environment).

      I'll also cc Steve Shames, an American photographer whose foundation helps to provide education for orphans and youth affected by HIV/AIDS in Uganda. Steve is linked to JUMP, and he and his foundation are doing wonderful media work with the students in Uganda.

      Will cast the "Net" a bit wider this weekend, David, and we will welcome to the MS-linked forums. Please also consider joining ActALIVE too, where a number of us are as well (actalive-subscribe@yahoogroups.com).

      All best wishes and appreciation, Janet (Feldman, kaippg@...)