Re: Minciu Sodas laboratory | Flash Drives

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2007
      Yvonne, Thank you for explaining. So flash drive distributors in Africa
      are not allowed to sell flash drives that contain MIT OpenCourseWare?
      But Internet Service Providers in the US are allowed to sell Internet
      bandwidth (sometimes by the megabyte) that carries MIT OpenCourseWare?
      Am I understanding correctly? Or please explain. Thank you, Andrius

      Yvonne Ng wrote:

      > Dear Andrius,
      >
      > Thank you for your interest in MIT OpenCourseWare. Unfortunately the
      > OCW content is not available for the distribution you’ve detailed
      > because OCW material is only available for non-commercial use.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Yvonne
      >
      > Ms. Yvonne Ng
      > External Outreach Manager
      > OpenCourseWare | Massachusetts Institute of Technology
      > One Broadway | 8th Floor
      > Cambridge, MA 02142
      > Tel: 617-253-4719
      > Fax: 617-253-2115
      > Email: yng@...
      > http://ocw.mit.edu
      > http://ocwconsortium.org

      > *Sent:* Friday, August 24, 2007 12:48 PM
      > *To:* Yvonne
      > *Subject:* Minciu Sodas laboratory | Flash Drives
      >
      > Our Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt is organizing content for
      > distribution on flash drives sent to Africa. We would like to include
      > MIT OpenCourseWare. The flash drives will be sold for profit by the
      > local participants with the additional purpose of encouraging
      > distribution of Public Domain and copyleft works as appropriate. For
      > example, flash drives may be purchased for $10 and sold in Africa for
      > $30 which is the cheapest rate there. The content will help make
      > smaller flash drives (256 MB or 512 MB) attractive compared to the
      > larger ones (1 GB) which seem to prevail in Africa. We will typically
      > be sharing the profit somehow with our lab, quite possibly through
      > shares in a community currency. May we please include MIT Open Course
      > Ware ?

    • jinan kodapully
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2007
        Hi

        Some of you might be aware of my involvement, in the last 14 years setting up ‘Kumbham’ a potter’s initiative at Nilambur, Kerala. (www.kumbham.in)

        From 1989 onwards I have been working, researching, learning from the artisan communities. I have tried to address several issues- cultural, spiritual, socio political and economical in these interactions.

        As a designer I have been working as an active collaborator with artisans, helping them conceive new design possibilities and extend their design and product vocabulary. It is crucial to me that they don’t become mere laborers, instead use their imagination freely and retaining their creativity and self respect. Practically it means opening up avenues for craft usage in daily life.

         Kumbham at Aruvacode, Nilambur, Kerala is a unique example in reviving an almost wiped out pottery tradition. I began in 1993, worked with over 150 artisans and in the course of 13 years developed over 500 designs/ products, using a novel way of initiating creativity among artisans.  A fundamental premise of the training interventions at Aruvacode is the cultural, aesthetic and creative superiority of the trainees, compared to the ‘developed’ mainstream of Indian society.  Thus the basic attempt at the training programmes is to help the individuals regain their wisdom and confidence which lies embedded within their own communities and culture.

        For detailed study see the web sites www.kumbham.in

        In continuation with my work with potters and addressing various issues ( common to all crafts ) I feel one of the most important is the future of craft as their children are not taking up craft.

        The present context that is visible to the children are not promising. But the reality is that there is a big demand for crafts as it is being felt in the urban spaces which is invisible to the artisans especially in the rural areas.

        This work has led me to explore an essential aspect of all crafts- that of enabling the artisan’s children to take forward their skills as a viable livelihood option.

        As a logical step I am planning to do learning activity with 10 potters children of the age group 18 to 24.

        What I mean by education is an over all exposure/ training to obtain the skills/ abilities needed to pursue pottery in the present context.

        The estimated time frame is about one and half to two years.

        The participants will be given exposure to the pottery especially to the present interest among the urban population as well as its role in the coming ecologically sensitive era, modern ways of marketing, internet and web, design intervention etc.

        The whole process will be hands on.

        Then they will develop new products, hold exhibitions to get feed back.

        Rough schedule is as follows.

        Two three months of learning to research, document, photograph etc.

        6 to 8 months of traveling to various parts of the country where various types of experiments are happening for example the potters in Utam nagar, Delhi, craft institutions, craft based NGOs, urban markets and pottery ‘studios’ etc.

        Then about 6 to 8 months of developing of new products, holding exhibitions etc and finally in the last phase the potters children will be helped to set up new ventures or collaborate with existing production at their respective villages.

        The participants will be selected from various parts of the country- Orissa, Kerala, and Tamilnadu etc especially from work areas with which I am familiar.

        The participants will be provided with tools and equipments that are necessary in the present context like digital camera, computer etc.

        I will also have to construct or hire minimum facilities for working staying etc.

        The out come of the project apart from equipping the potters children with an ability to pursue pottery would be

        1. About 500 new products

        2. Documentation of the process which can be good reference

        3. The process could also be used for other crafts and for developing institution for enabling the Artisans.

        You would have guessed this will require quite a lot of money.

        As an individual proposing to do such a project I foresee difficulties in obtaining funding from regular channels. I am sending this in the hope that a completely new way of supporting socially relevant issues will take shape.

        I am going to post this as a bog and let as many people know and I would like to open up this project for suggestions, collaborations etc.

        Interested people can contribute with their time, money, donation of equipments- digital camera, computer etc or even hosting the team when we travel.

        Roughly the total cost is estimated to be Rs 24, 00,000. This means about Rs 10,000 per month per student for two years.

        Do get back to me if you find this interesting. Then I will send you a detailed proposal.

        I will set up the blog after hearing your suggestion.

        Jinan

        Jinan,
        www.re-cognition.org
        www.kumbham.in
        http://my.opera.com/jinankb/albums/
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/terracotta_murals/sets/72157594503980465/
        09447121544
        0487 2386723

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2007
          Yvonne Ng,

          Thank you for your explanation.
          However, America Online and Earthlink distribute your content
          for-profit, yes?
          Why do you and/or your authors distinguish between their model and our
          model?

          http://www. ms.lt
          ms@...

        • kayiwa fred
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2007
            I read al these leter with alot of carefully
            And am so happy to see all what is goping on here.
            Andrius thanks alot for the great letters you do share
            with Mark,Jeff, and Steve.

            Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
          • fdkayiwa