3462Discovering and applying patterns

    Apr 22, 2014
      Franz, Pamela, Ben and all,

      I'm writing my letter to a few groups that arose through Minciu Sodas,
      my online laboratory for independent thinkers. I read a post by
      permaculture author Toby Hemenway that I think is relevant to us in
      different ways:
      http://www.patternliteracy.com/?p=770&preview=true

      Permaculture is a vision and practice of a home and yard for a lifestyle
      that is sustainable ecologically and spiritually. Toby Hemenway teaches
      permaculture as a way of thinking about designing your surroundings. He
      calls his website "pattern literacy" and thus alludes to architect
      Christopher Alexander's pattern languages. Patterns are rules of thumb
      that make sense in theory but have to be optimized on-site.

      Toby Hemenway reflects on why the "Transition movement" is incredibly
      popular whereas permaculture thinking which gave rise to it is not. The
      Transition movement offers action plans to people who see that the end
      is coming to our fossil fuel civilization and want to prepare for what
      comes afterwards. People prefer to be given the "answer" rather than be
      taught how to figure it out. That's why the Transition movement is so
      much more popular than the Permaculture movement.

      I want to point out that this is intrinsic to patterns. Patterns are
      meant to be applied over and over again. They also are meant to be
      discovered and rediscovered. So people will be expecting two very
      different things from patterns: being able to think less (because you
      are told the answer) and getting to think more (because you can figure
      it out yourself).

      Pamela is my first student at my Self Learners Network, a new version of
      Minciu Sodas that I am developing. She is investigating the logic of
      the 21st century way of learning. In our most recent conversation, I
      realized that in Minciu Sodas I always hoped to inspire people to not
      look just at their own personal projects but to think in terms of what
      they contribute to a broader culture. Pamela is coming up with this
      challenge in her own way, as she's helping changemakers in Africa to
      tell their stories of what's working or not. She's observing many
      valuable things along the way but they may not be interested or have
      time. But perhaps they don't have to, so long as she has others like me
      who she can talk to. In other words, we can wish and hope, but we can't
      expect everybody to become "pattern discoverers" right away. But we,
      pattern discoverers, can be supportive of each other, and interested in
      each other's learning, even when others are not. We should also put our
      thoughts into practice, which is to say, our integrity requires that we
      be pattern appliers as well, so that we know what we're talking about.

      Thank you to Ben de Vries for recommending the Humanure Handbook
      http://www.humanurehandbook.com I downloaded it for $10, have started
      reading it, and am very pleased with what I've learned. I currently
      don't have any septic system and simply use a bucket which I empty each
      day in my outhouse. It turns out that that is not too much different in
      practice or spirit from creating humanure. I just need to learn how to
      mix in Carbon rich material (sawdust) to balance the Nitrogen rich
      material (my waste) so that different bacteria and organisms can create
      compost.

      I also bought two books by Art Ludwig on grey water (from the laundry
      and shower) and Hemenway's book on permaculture.

      Overall, I'm transforming my house step-by-step, pattern-by-pattern,
      gradually as I learn how to live in it, I learn about the seasons here,
      I learn about my land (12 ares) and the local "economy". For example, I
      bought 50 boards locally and the local youth worked for me and I have a
      growing collection of shelves on my walls. I should keep a summary of
      how my house is unfolding.

      Please know, I've written up my philosophy as an electronic illustrated
      book, "The Truth, from Relative to Absolute":
      http://www.selflearners.net/wiki/Truth/Book

      +370 773 306-3809
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic