2552Re: [learningfromeachother] Re: Pyramid of Peace one year later

  • Peter Burgess
    Feb 19, 2009
      Dear Colleagues

      Thank you all ... this is a very important issue and conversation.

      I am very much aware that I do not know enough about fund raising ...
      but it would appear that fund raising is much more about the "sizzle"
      than the "steak"!

      The strategy for fund raising and the strategy for doing things of
      value are quite different and should probably be kept quite separate.
      Certainly they should not be co-mingled and make both lose value.

      In the case of some of our initiatives, co-mingling can create danger.
      Some of what we are trying to do is "hard ball"! About 2 years ago a
      Nigerian colleague who was making progress exposing large scale
      corruption within the Nigerian government health budget got killed ...
      who killed him ... why he was killed ... has never been explained. But
      the point is that we need to make sure that our work does not put
      people at undue risk. My original plans to have "open" information has
      been modified because of this.

      The PoP story should give a very good platform for fund-raising ...
      but the story is going to compete with thousands of other stories that
      are already in play ... and the PoP story has to be linked to a sexy
      and credible organization. I don't know how to do this ... but I would
      argue that WE might think ms has these characteristics ... but that is
      not what matters. The question is what do people with funds want to
      see organizationally.

      Peter
      Peter Burgess
      The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
      www.tr-ac-net.org
      Community Analytics (CA)
      Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
      917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic