2551Re: Pyramid of Peace one year later

  • ricardoolpc
    Feb 19, 2009
      Hi Andrius
      I said I'd email you after our chat today about the issue
      of reimbursement, but I'll reply here instead, so everyone can see
      it.

      If you look at the messages in this thread and at Janet's message in
      LFEO group (link below), you'll see that Pam, Janet, Ken Owino,
      Samwel and I are not happy with the idea of asking the Kenyan
      Business Community for reimbursement of donations made during the
      Pyramid of Peace and the election violence. As I explained this
      morning, many of us think it could undermine good will and
      relationship with other organisations that have been carefully built
      up. It would change the way people look at PoP as a group and at
      individuals. I think the chances of any businesses giving any money
      are so low that it's not worth taking the risk. Janet and Ken said
      that even if you did manage to raise any money, they would prefer it
      to go to IDP Camps.

      I know you contributed more than most people in monetary terms. I
      like Pam's suggestion of earning money by MS working for the Kenyan
      business community. That sounds far more acceptable than asking for
      compensation/reimbursement.

      During the election violence, you provided strong leadership to
      implement PoP. Now that things are a bit more peaceful, I think
      decisions that affect the reputations and relationships of all the
      PoP members should be more democratic and taken after wide
      consultation.

      For those people not at the chat today, I suggested that even a 51%
      democratic majority decision isn't really adequate. If asking for
      reimbursement would damage individual people's relationships with
      other organisations or projects, then the inividuals should be able
      to veto it.

      The other issues (publishing contact details and hyperlinking to
      Worknets) are of lower importance, but still fairly important.

      I don't know whether many people are particularly concerned about
      their contact details being published and accessible to spammers,
      begging letters, etc. It would be useful to have a consultation
      exercise. I just noticed that you had included all the names, phone
      numbers and email addresses of PoP members on the main PoP page. As
      I said this morning, it may be better to just provide one PoP
      contact email for readers of 'The history of PoP' to contact.

      During the election violence, people were desperate to get help and
      they published their own contact details in yahoo group messages or
      worknets (which they may wish to reconsider now) and they may have
      published other people's contact details, without taking the time to
      ask permission.

      Although people may have thought they understood the implications of
      putting messages in the public domain, now may be a good time to
      have some discussions and review any possible problems. I said that
      I prefer to work in a low-profile way, and didn't expect my worknets
      pages to be hyperlinked to high-profile pages like the story of PoP.

      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net/

      These issues aren't just Intellectual Property Rights issues (what
      people are 'allowed' to do with your info). It's more a question of
      observing normal, everyday courtesies and asking permission ("May I
      do such and such with the information you posted").

      All these issues are probably of more importance to people working
      on the ground in Kenya than to me in the UK.

      Ricardo

      --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, Pamela McLean
      <pam54321@...> wrote:

      > Dear Andrius and Everyone.
      >
      > I am very busy now and seldom read lists - but this has attracted
      my
      > attention and I feel I should respond to add my voice to the voices
      > expressing concerns:
      >
      > I would be pleased to see the general story of PoP known more
      widely - but
      > definitely without any sensitive information.
      >
      > I strongly share the concerns expressed about the appropriate ways
      of
      > telling the PoP story. Initially I was very pleased to see all the
      > information brought together, because I think the story is worth
      telling.
      > Gathering everything together is a useful first stage in telling
      the story
      > accurately, but accurate telling is not the same as telling
      everything. I
      > agree absolutely that it would be completely inappropriate to push
      any
      > sensitive information out to people who might use it wrongly. I
      would like
      > to see much of the information that was shared during the turmoil
      removed
      > from the public domain to protect the people involved, as soon as
      possible.
      > This is urgent and important.
      >
      > I am also concerned about Andrius' financial situation. He
      responded with
      > total commitment when there was a need for money and nowhere near
      enough
      > coming in. He now has large debts because he funded so much of PoP
      > personally. I think PoP was an amazing achievemnt and I feel very
      privelaged
      > to have been connected in some small way with the courageous and
      decisive
      > people who were active in PoP.
      >
      > I would be very pleased if a result of telling the story of PoP
      was to bring
      > Andrius paid work. I would like to see him with enough appropriate
      well-paid
      > work to more than pay his debts.
      >
      > However I am not happy with the idea of "asking for
      reimbursement". It seems
      > completely inapporpriate for a variety of reasons.
      >
      > Of course if Andrius wants to ask for reimbursement then obviously
      it is a
      > personal choice - but if he does then I think it should be done
      on a
      > personal basis (ie Andrius asking for Andrius) not "for the MS
      lab".

      > Andrius I respect so much of what you do, and I appreciate the
      opportunities
      > you have given me within Minciu Sodas for personal growth, but, as
      you know,
      > I do not always agree with you. Certainly this is an area where I
      do not
      > agree. I add my voice to those who are asking you to rethink, to
      remove
      > sensitive information, to not ask for reimbursement, and to
      not "speak for
      > everyone" when you are really speaking for yourself, and perhaps
      assuming
      > that everyone will be in agreement.
      >
      > Pam

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic