2156Re: [learningfromeachother] Computer Literacy for Women Teachers

  • Edward Cherlin
    Aug 1, 2008
      On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Dan Otedo <dotedo@...> wrote:
      > Pam,
      >
      > I am poor at introductions. I will ask Samuel Kongere to introduce me. Now
      > to the Innovative Women Teachers project.
      >
      > It is pretty much about the realization of the girl-child potential through
      > ICT. So all women teaches in Kenya are targeted in the next five years. We
      > will Train all female teachers, though definitely focus first in the fringe
      > /marginalized areas that have challenges of communication, social problems
      > like female genital mutilation, child labour, teenage pregnancy and early
      > marriage among other modern social vices, firmly entrenched.

      I met a Maasai chief, Salaton Ole' Ntutu, who is working on education
      and ending female genital mutilation, at an Asante Africa presentation
      at Future Salon. See http://www.asanteafrica.org/ for program and
      contact information. Some of my friends have proposed to assist him
      and his people with education, health, and agricultural knowledge.

      "He built a rescue shelter to protect young girls from the common, but
      illegal, practice of female genital mutilation (FGM) and to promote
      the idea of alternative rites of passage. He is also involved in
      education about HIV/AIDS and monogamy, and in health and sanitation
      projects. He supports widows in his tribe who would otherwise find it
      very difficult to support themselves. Through his tremendous knowledge
      of African wildlife, he has contributed significantly towards Kenya's
      community and tourist industry. He also helps to facilitate the
      in-country work of the Asante Africa Foundation,
      which builds and equips schools, and sponsors secondary education in
      Kenya and in neighboring Tanzania."

      > I said the project is not cast in stone. So we can borrow best practices
      > from various models and suggestions world over the key point here is to
      > ensure teachers have functional digital literacy (productivity) skills and
      > also have the capacity and confidence to seek, develop and use valuable
      > information, and at the same time be in a position join and participate
      > teacher networks .

      Let me suggest this report from Ethiopia, and the discussion at
      http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Academic_Papers, as a source of ideas.

      * Ethiopia Implementation Report, September - December 2007,
      Bjorn Everts, Matthew Herren, David Hollow, Eduvision, February 2008
      http://www.gg.rhul.ac.uk/ict4d/ethiopia.pdf

      > So the project is rather eclectic and we will always give
      > credit where its due. In any case the functional computer literacy skills
      > supersede software wars inherent between various developers, a fact which
      > the rudimentary user is scarcely aware of. We have had to customize the
      > Microsoft Digital literacy curriculum especially by loading it with content
      > responsive to girl – child issues in Kenya, as well as involve centre for
      > Studies of Adolescence and Afri-Afya. (all whom have developed an
      > interactive toolkit CD's)

      OLPC is creating health content and other education content for girls,
      and translating it to various languages. See the Health mailing list
      at http://lists.laptop.org/. The HIFA2015 mailing list also has a lot
      of health education resources.

      --
      Silent Thunder [默雷/शब्दगर्ज] is my name,
      And Children are my nation.