Dictionaries, and introduction

  • David Lubkin
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      I am at the barest beginnings of learning Czech. I have dabbled in
      many other languages; there are a few (too few) that I know well
      enough to be useful.

      From my other studies, I have found that a really good bidirectional
      dictionary is essential. Often the best dictionary for a student is
      one notch down from the most complete one. It has all the words one
      is likely to encounter but may be better organized for a novice.

      It seems like Josef Fronek's dictionaries are the right choice. What
      are the differences between his separate English-Czech and
      Czech-English volumes and the combined bidirectional edition? Which
      do you recommend, and why?

      Or is there a better choice than Fronek?

      Also, it seems hard to find the separate volumes outside of the CR.
      Do you know of a good book dealer in the US, or who ships to the US
      routinely, that carries them and similar materials?

      Dekuju,

      -- David.