hello

  • lovermann_d
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2002
      Hello, "girl from America". What`s your name?
    • Ora Shalev
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 14, 2006
        Dobrý den :-)

        My name is Ora. I like learning languages and since I have a Czech
        speaking friend, I'm curious to learn Czech. Czech seems like a hard
        language, but a good introduction to the slavic languages (?).

        Thanks,
        Ora
      • Petr Hrubis
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 14, 2006
          Hi Ora,

          I'm Petr. What's your native language?

          I'm not sure if Czech, which is my mother tongue, will be a good introduction to the Slavic languages, as it's pretty progressive in some respects. It's phonology is unique within this branch if Indoeuropean and its vocabulary has been heavily influenced by German. Perhaps, it will be a good introduction to the Western branch of Slavic languages. At least, it doesn't use the Cyrillic alphabet and once you've learnt some of it, you won't have many difficulties to learn Slovak or Polish. Also, the Czech Republic is certainly worth visiting ;-), especially places like Prague, Český Krumlov, Lednice, Olomouc etc.

          Best wishes,

          Petr

          My name is Ora. I like learning languages and since I have a Czech
          speaking friend, I'm curious to learn Czech. Czech seems like a hard
          language, but a good introduction to the slavic languages (?).

          Thanks,
          Ora

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • ALI

            My name is Ora. I like learning languages and since I have a Czech
            speaking friend, I'm curious to learn Czech. Czech seems like a hard
            language, but a good introduction to the slavic languages (?).

            Thanks,
            Ora

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Ora Shalev
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
              Hi Petr,

              My native language is Hebrew.

              My first question is: where can i get a good (free) intro to Czech
              grammar? I ran across the LocalLingo site, but it seems to give just
              a bit here and there.

              Ora

              p.s. and my friend lives in Plzen.. i actually looked up how to pronounce it :-)

              On 9/15/06, Petr Hrubis <hrubisp@...> wrote:
              > Hi Ora,
              >
              > I'm Petr. What's your native language?
              >
              > I'm not sure if Czech, which is my mother tongue, will be a good introduction to the Slavic languages, as it's pretty progressive in some respects. It's phonology is unique within this branch if Indoeuropean and its vocabulary has been heavily influenced by German. Perhaps, it will be a good introduction to the Western branch of Slavic languages. At least, it doesn't use the Cyrillic alphabet and once you've learnt some of it, you won't have many difficulties to learn Slovak or Polish. Also, the Czech Republic is certainly worth visiting ;-), especially places like Prague, Český Krumlov, Lednice, Olomouc etc.
              >
              > Best wishes,
              >
              > Petr

            • Shirley Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
                Hi Petr and Ora-

                I just got back from Brno (lovely city, can't wait to go back).  Anyhow, a website that I go to alot is: www.byki.com  This website has quite a few differnt languages that you can choose from.

                Shirley

                On 9/15/06, Petr Hrubis wrote:
                > Hi Ora,
                >
                > I'm Petr. What's your native language?
                >
                > I'm not sure if Czech, which is my mother tongue, will be a good introduction to the Slavic languages, as it's pretty progressive in some respects. It's phonology is unique within this branch if Indoeuropean and its vocabulary has been heavily influenced by German. Perhaps, it will be a good introduction to the Western branch of Slavic languages. At least, it doesn't use the Cyrillic alphabet and once you've learnt some of it, you won't have many difficulties to learn Slovak or Polish. Also, the Czech Republic is certainly worth visiting ;-), especially places like Prague, Èeský Krumlov, Lednice, Olomouc etc.
                >
                > Best wishes,
                >
                > Petr

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:learning_czech-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:learning_czech-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Sanyam
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
                  Hi Ora!

                  I guess people on this group hear from me pretty rarely but please let me
                  know if I can be of any help to anybody. Well to come back to your
                  question, my faculty has a special site for us the foreign medical students
                  to get to learn a bit of czech to get around as well as a bit of medical
                  czech. you may want to czech it out. The website is as follows:

                  http://www.lf3.cuni.cz/cestina/levels/index.php

                  When you get to the site I guess what will interest you will be the first
                  and the second tab. When you place your cursor on any of the tab it will
                  show you the corresponding english translation and click it to go further.
                  so the two sections (tabs) that will be of interest to you will be
                  "Vítejte!" (Welcome) and "Čeština pro každý den" (Czech in Everyday Life).

                  Cheers,

                  Sanyam

                  > My first question is: where can i get a good (free) intro to Czech
                  > grammar? I ran across the LocalLingo site, but it seems to give just
                  > a bit here and there.
                  >
                  > Ora
                  >
                  > p.s. and my friend lives in Plzen.. i actually looked up how to pronounce
                  > it :-)
                  >
                  > On 9/15/06, Petr Hrubis <hrubisp@...> wrote:
                  >> Hi Ora,
                  >>
                  >> I'm Petr. What's your native language?
                  >>
                  >> I'm not sure if Czech, which is my mother tongue, will be a good
                  >> introduction to the Slavic languages, as it's pretty progressive in some
                  >> respects. It's phonology is unique within this branch if Indoeuropean and
                  >> its vocabulary has been heavily influenced by German. Perhaps, it will be
                  >> a good introduction to the Western branch of Slavic languages. At least,
                  >> it doesn't use the Cyrillic alphabet and once you've learnt some of it,
                  >> you won't have many difficulties to learn Slovak or Polish. Also, the
                  >> Czech Republic is certainly worth visiting ;-), especially places like
                  >> Prague, Český Krumlov, Lednice, Olomouc etc.
                  >>
                  >> Best wishes,
                  >>
                  >> Petr

                • Petr Hrubis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
                    Of course, Pilsen and Starý Plzenec, Karlovy vary, Karlštejn...plenty of places :-)

                    Petr Hrubis <hrubisp@...> wrote:
                    Hi Ora,

                    I'm Petr. What's your native language?

                    I'm not sure if Czech, which is my mother tongue, will be a good introduction to the Slavic languages, as it's pretty progressive in some respects. It's phonology is unique within this branch if Indoeuropean and its vocabulary has been heavily influenced by German. Perhaps, it will be a good introduction to the Western branch of Slavic languages. At least, it doesn't use the Cyrillic alphabet and once you've learnt some of it, you won't have many difficulties to learn Slovak or Polish. Also, the Czech Republic is certainly worth visiting ;-), especially places like Prague, Äeský Krumlov, Lednice, Olomouc etc.

                    Best wishes,

                    Petr

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 15, 2006
                      Some basic info can be obtained here:

                      http://www.bohemica.com/index.php?m=tuit&unit=3
                      http://www.bohemica.com/?m=catalog&s=70
                      http://www.omniglot.com/writing/czech.htm
                      http://www.eslbase.com/language-exchange/czech
                      http://www.hedgehog-review.com/accent/CzLearn.php

                      P.

                      My first question is: where can i get a good (free) intro to Czech
                      grammar? I ran across the LocalLingo site, but it seems to give just
                      a bit here and there.

                      Ora

                      p.s. and my friend lives in Plzen.. i actually looked up how to pronounce it :-)

                      On 9/15/06, Petr Hrubis <hrubisp@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Ora,
                      >
                      > I'm Petr. What's your native language?
                      >
                      > I'm not sure if Czech, which is my mother tongue, will be a good introduction to the Slavic languages, as it's pretty progressive in some respects. It's phonology is unique within this branch if Indoeuropean and its vocabulary has been heavily influenced by German. Perhaps, it will be a good introduction to the Western branch of Slavic languages. At least, it doesn't use the Cyrillic alphabet and once you've learnt some of it, you won't have many difficulties to learn Slovak or Polish. Also, the Czech Republic is certainly worth visiting ;-), especially places like Prague, Český Krumlov, Lednice, Olomouc etc.
                      >
                      > Best wishes,
                      >
                      > Petr

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Ora Shalev
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 17, 2006
                        Thanks for the links everybody. I'll have to go through them, and
                        then I'm sure I'll have more questions :-)

                        Ora