RE: [leanagilescrum] Re: Managers as Scrum Masters

  • Skip Angel
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 2, 2007

      Actually, I have seen it the other way around *if* there are two roles.

      The Product Manager is usually the long-range person and is involved in not only setting strategic direction for the product but all other activities typical with such a role such as Marketing, Competitive Analysis, Budgets, etc.

      The Product Champion is usually the customer “proxy”, the person who is able to work with the team full-time.   Their primary role is to ensure that the Product Backlog is ready for the team.   Ready means clearly defined stories that are sized to fit into iterations and prioritized by business value.   They should be constantly monitoring changes and progress inside and outside the team to the product and determine changes that need to be made in future iterations.  They should define clear goals at both the iteration and release levels for the team.  They should also be there for the team to ask questions about the business – what does the customer really want?

      In Scrum, the role is usually called Product Owner but I don’t like the term Owner.  That makes it sound like they have complete authority and responsibility for what goes into the product.   The Champion term is much more suitable in that they help the team understand what is important for the product and help make decisions with the team as the solution unfolds.

      Skip Angel, Sr. Consultant

      Office: (425)-260-7965

      Net Objectives, Inc. - www.netobjectives.com

      Integrating people, process and technology through training, coaching and consulting.

      See http://www.netobjectives.com/courses/ for our list of nationally offered courses in Lean Software Development, Scrum, Requirements, OO, Design Patterns and TDD.

      Blogs and podcasts http://blogs.netobjectives.com/