Re: [ldsig] N&W Branch Line

  • Philip Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2013
      Take a look at the Appalachian Model Railroading site. They have some good ideas in various plans.  Some of the none N&W plans may help.  Also, I believe Lance Mindheim had a coal branch in one of his books which had a removable section for the entrance.

      I would avoid the 4-8-2 due to the curves you may need and go for a 4-6-2 if you can endure the pain of brass prices and DCC conversion.

      Philip Taylor

      Never assume that the way it is now is the way it has always been

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2013
        On 29/08/13 6:47, david_baker37 wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I am in the planning stages of a 12'*11' layout. It is the negotiated space in my basement with one 12' and one 11' being hard walls, the others are political boundries. I can probably steal an extra foot or two on the 11' side basement wall to the anti-layout area.
        >
        > I am planning to do late steam on the N&W. This means that 2-8-8-2 Y6b and the like will roam this area. I also like realistic passenger trains, which on a coal branch would probably be one two-three car passenger train with a 4-8-2 or 4-6-2.
        >
        > The traffic would probably be one local in/out, one coal train in/out, one freight in/out.
        >
        > I care about enough run time to actually see a train run, but I like the slow pace of switching a town and turning the locomotives at the end of the branch. 30" radius mainlines and no continious run are my real constraints.
        >
        > My attempts to sketch have ended with a around the perimeter, almost a doughnut....but an isle because i really dont like duck unders.
        >
        > The layout like that ends up with staging>small town with a siding>track with junction to a middle of the area spur, and then a terminal
        >
        > I am having trouble designing the terminal which i usually end up with 8 feet of linear space for plus the curved corner track.
        >
        > Any creative thoughts on this?

        Hi David.

        I'm planning a layout based on the Virginian Railway, also in the
        Appalachian region, and I've done a fair bit of research on this -
        sounds like our desires are much the same - you may care to look at:

        Mike Dodd:
        http://virginian.mdodd.com/layout.html

        Dan Bourque
        http://appalachianrailroadmodeling.com/tp_elmore.html

        ..just for starters.. Both have done great work..

        Let us know how you get on..

        --
        Doug Harris
        Auckland, New Zealand