[lds-youngwomen] Re: Lesson 42

  • Wayne Wells
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 1999
      My 17 year old son, Bill, was diagnosed last month with leukemia. He has
      been through the first round of chemo and it has really knocked him down.
      He has been in ICU for the past 10 days and will be in for awhile longer.
      (We would appreciate the prayers of anyone on this list who would pray for
      him. He specifically needs prayers for help in clearing up a fungal
      infection he picked up while his white blood cell count was low.) Anyway,
      I'm giving lesson 42 this week in YW's. Since my husband is the Bishop, all
      the ward members are familiar with our situation. However, they have been
      surprised when they hear us talk of this trial as a blessing in our lives.
      They have also been amazed at the peace we have felt throughout this. It is
      the peace the Savior spoke of in the scriptures--His peace. I am going to
      include something like the following in my lesson: "My brother had a heart
      attack a couple of years ago, and the Drs. told him that all the exercise
      they tell you to do is so that when you have a heart attack, you will be
      able to survive it. All the spiritual preparations or "exercises," if you
      will, that we do--ie. daily scripture study, reading the General Conference
      talks, daily prayer, attending our meetings, doing Personal Progress, etc.--
      prepare us to withstand the trials that will come in our lives. I ask
      myself how we ever could have survived this ordeal we are now going through
      without all the spiritual preparation that has gone before. What if we had
      waited until after the trial started to ever open The Book of Mormon? What
      if we had missed those lessons in church that have taught us how to deal
      with trials? What if we hadn't prayed daily so that our personal
      relationship with God wasn't there? What if we hadn't kept the commandments
      and thus were unworthy to have the Holy Ghost bring us peace? It is too
      late to prepare now. It may seem boring right now in your lives to prepare
      spiritually with so many worldly distractions, but spiritual prepartion will
      be your lifeline when the trials come."
      Nancy Wells
    • mkterry@deseretonline.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 1999
        The lesson 42, Preparing for Change, discusses the process of changing
        from a caterpillar into a butterfly, which I teach on Nov. 28th. In a
        Relief Society lesson last year the sister teaching in our ward passed
        out some wonderful laminated colored bookmarks. I'm using her idea as
        a handout. On the bookmark is written:

        "How does one become a butterfly? (picture of butterfly) You must want
        to fly so much, that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."

        We will follow this discussion weaving in quotes from the lesson.

        Because of special circumstances within our class, I won't be sharing
        the story of the woman dealing with the death of her husband.

        Check out the April 1997 Ensign. It has a wonderful talk by Sister
        Virginia H. Pearce. She also shares a story about a swallowtail
        butterfly and it's amazing life cycle. If you have a video copy of
        that General Young Women's meeting, Sister Pearce showed a clip of a
        girl having a difficult time with change and how she dealt with it.

        I've been reading the incredible new book "Hope, an Anchor to the Soul"
        by S. Michael Wilcox. In it he shares his insights of the lives of the
        great prophets in the scriptures and how they dealt with the winds of
        change and yet kept a steadfastness in Christ to anchor them. Then he
        likens these accounts to our own lives. The wisdom from this book
        richly illuminates what is already in the lesson.

        To end my lesson, I'm thinking about teaching the girls about another
        kind of change to prepare for, the change of heart. To tie it in, I'll
        tell them that when we secure our hearts in Christ we can more easily
        deal with the inevitable changes that will come in our lives. In
        addition, we will receive the promptings of the Spirit and the
        blessings of following those promptings. I'll ask a guest to read the
        story, "The Greatest Gift" by Sandra Bateman, which I think is in one
        of the December Ensigns. It is a missionary Christmas story. Then I'm
        thinking of giving each girl a copy of this story tied to a box of
        Jell-O.

        Just e-mail me if you want a copy of the story, "The Greatest Gift."
        mkterry@...

        Good luck!
      • Monsoon
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 18, 1999
          Nancy,

          I am so sorry to hear about your son, Bill.  I know this must be a very difficult time but I what an example of strength you are!  I love your message and you've given "me" comfort when I wish I could comfort you!  May the Lord bless your family and know that my prayers are with you!    I am here if you ever need anything!

          Love,
          Alice Gifford
        • Wayne Wells
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 18, 1999
            Alice,
            Thank you for your words of comfort. I find great comfort in the
            scriptures. They sustain me. Thanks for sharing them with me. I love
            reading the Book of Mormon. Right now I'm reading New Testament with
            Sunday School and Book of Mormon on the side along with Hugh Nibley's
            Book of Mormon BYU class transcripts. It is very interesting and I've
            got plenty of time for reading at the hospital. Our Ward has really
            been great to pitch in and help wherever they can. But the Lord has
            sustained us the most. I feel like you are my friend because we have
            e-mailed some. Also, I am originally from Farmington, New Mexico, so
            Arizona was always our next-door-neighbor. So, I'm a Southwesterner at
            heart! Thanks for everything.
            Love,
            Nancy
          • Kelli
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
              Any cute ideas that you used for this lesson? I am just wrapping it
              up, but I did not do anything too fun or exciting.
            • Sharma Anderson
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 22, 2006
                Lesson 42

                Courage to Try

                If you have a copy of "The Wizard of Oz" you could show a clip or clips from it about the Lion(the one in the beginning wanting courage--the one in the end where he finds he has had it). Also, if you can think of any people in the ward or their families that may have had an opportunity to exhibit courage. YW and YM love personal touches.

                One of my all-time favorite books is "If Talent Were Pizza, You'd Be a Supreme" by Jack Weyland. The book talks all about finding and developing talents. One chapter talks about finding out the things we are good at. He says we must have spent time in the pre-existence learning and developing skills. When we are young, we get all sorts of praise for the little things we do - sit, walk, first word, tying shoes, etc. Then we start school and get graded and judged. Suddenly, we are afraid to try anything new. We say "I can't play tennis" instead of "I've never tried to play tennis". He challenges us to try new
                things to find out what we learned in the pre-existence:

                1 - Learn to play two songs on the piano. You can impress a date when he comes to the door by sitting at the piano and playing. Then if he says "Can you play another one?" you can play your second piece. If he wants another one, you can say "We better get going."

                2 - Create your own artwork and place it in a prominent place in your living room. Drop paint from a ladder. Put paint on tricycle wheels and run it over the canvas. Sometimes we think we have to be perfect that we overlook the value of doing something for the fun of it.

                3 - Learn to cook one elegant meal. Not only do you develop your skills, but if you date, you can see how the guy handles the finer things of life.

                4 - Learn to draw using your right brain. From the book, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", the left brain is logical and the right brain is more creative. Turn a picture upside down and try to draw it. The left brain says "That's stupid. I'm not drawing something that's upside down."

                5 - Go out for a team sport. Less than 10% of students try out because they know they'll get cut. But if you try out, you will probably gain new friends. Since you know you won't make it, you'll be a great sport & cheer everyone one. It teaches that the person who tries is always better off than the person who doesn't.

                6 - Learn how to work a difficult math problem. People have gotten afraid of math, but there are tricks you can use. (he explains it, but it's a little long for the post)

                7 - Learn scriptures from the Doctrine & Covenants using memory tricks.

                a - Word of Wisdom is in section 89 - some fool ate the wine.
                b - Temple marriage is in section 132. Getting married in the temple is as easy as 1-3-2. If it were really easy, it would be as easy as 1-2-3.
                c - Tithing is found is 119. Think of one fun dime. Since tithing is ten cents out of every dollar, you may remember 1-1-9
                d - Encouraging parents to teach their children is in section 68. Think of sticky gate. Why would the gate be sticky? Because the parents let the kids eat candy.

                8 - Become a good dancer. Make up a dance using one of these titles - The Big Mac, The Statue of Liberty. Teach them to others at the next dance.

                9 - Do a simple science demonstration. If you roll a can of tomato juice & a can of tomato paste down a hill together, which one will reach the bottom first? The tomato juice does because the liquid has less rotational kinetic energy so the energy to move an object through space (translational kinetic energy) is bigger. The paste is almost a solid so it rotates as the can rotates. Try it with a ball versus a hoop.

                10 - Learn the basics of car maintenance.

                11 - Learn how to juggle.

                I wish I could give you the whole chapter. I love this book. I got it in high school but I use it all the time for lessons & thoughts on knowledge.

                Activity idea

                Based on Lesson #42 "Courage to Try" we are having a combined activity that we are "stealing" from our RS HF&P Enrichment night last month. The Enrichment activity was so fun! The RS presidency passed out challenges to about 10 women to "Try Something New" (which was the name/theme of the activity), but each challenge was pre-determined by the presidency. The challenges given, were things that you wouldn't normally think that person would be interested in doing. For example our Stake RS president, who is very proper was given the challenge to learn how to change the oil or tire on her car. Her presentation was truly hilarious!! Another challenge was given to my friend to find out something new about one of her grandparents. Another challenge was to learn "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" on the piano. Another challenge was to learn how to make bath salts. Each challenge was presented to the group, and we were told that this was to encourage us to also "Try Something New"!

                We are having this activity in three weeks. I have not come up with the challenges for our youth, but we only have 7-8 youth (that is both YW & YM), so each person will receive a challenge! This should go well with your value of Knowledge and also fits nicely with the lesson! Hope this helps!

                Emily in FL :)

                Thank you for these wonderful ideas from Jack Weyland's book! Based on what you have shared, I came up with 10 challenges that I'm going to have the youth choose from tomorrow:

                Challenges for "Try Something New" Mutual Activity on November 19th:

                1. Learn to play "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" on the piano and present your talent on November 19th.

                2. Create your own artwork and reveal your artistic creation on November 19th.

                3. Learn to cook one elegant meal and on November 19th either bring a sample of the meal to share or tell about your preparations and if you enjoy the finer things of life.

                4. Learn to draw using your right brain. From the book, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", the left brain is logical and the right brain is more creative. Turn a picture upside down and try to draw it. The left brain says "That's stupid. I'm not drawing something that's upside down." On November 19th either demonstrate drawing using your right brain or show a picture that you have drawn using your right brain.

                5. Learn how to work a difficult math problem. Bring your solved problem with you on November 19th to show your genius work!

                6. Memorize your favorite scripture and recite it on November 19th.

                7. Learn how to dance the "Cha-Cha" and demonstrate your groovy steps on November 19th.

                8. Learn how to do a simple science demonstration and show & tell everyone your discovery on November 19th.

                9. Learn how to change the oil in your car or change a tire on your car. Tell everyone about your amazing new knowledge on November 19th.

                10. Learn how to juggle and show us all that you have a knack for the circus on November 19th.

                Hopefully this will help anyone who is using this idea....let me know if any of you have come up with different challenges!
                Emily in FL :)

                Contributed by: REWJAW7@...

                As a handout to go with the Courage to Try lesson, I gave each of my Laurels a small bottle of red fingernail polish. I put the polish in a clear cellophane bag and tied it with a red ribbon. I attached a tag that said "Red is for Courage" (taken from the little Primary song "Our primary colors are one, two, three, red, yellow and blue...) I also put the quote from the lesson on the tag--the one that said that courage along with faith was the best tool for improving our lives. I thought the red was also appropriate because it is the color that goes along with the value "Individual Worth", which fits with this lesson. The girls seemed to really like this---hope the idea helps you.

                Overcoming Fear
                President Gordon B. Hinckley

                "Who among us can say that he or she has not felt fear? I know of no one who has been entirely spared. Some, of course, experience fear to a greater degree than do others. Some are able to rise above it quickly, but others are trapped and pulled down by it and even driven to defeat. We suffer from the fear of ridicule, the fear of failure, the fear of loneliness, the fear of ignorance. Some fear the present, some the future. Some carry the burden of sin and would give almost anything to unshackle themselves from those
                burdens but fear to change their lives. Let us recognize that fear comes not of God, but rather that this gnawing, destructive element comes from the adversary of truth and righteousness. Fear is the antithesis of faith. It is corrosive in its effects, even deadly.

                " 'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind' (2 Timothy 1:7).

                "We need not fear as long as we have in our lives the power that comes from righteously living by the truth which is from God our Eternal Father.

                "Nor need we fear as long as we have the power of faith."

                (Gordon B. Hinckley, "God Will Make a Way," New Era, Jan. 2002, 6-7)

                Sharma Worthen Anderson
                Burley Idahoan currently
                I'll always be an Oregonian at heart

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 25, 2006
                  THANKS! I went and borrowed the Wizard of Oz from my sister. I had
                  thought about the Cowardly lion...

                  Let us know how that YW activity goes. That is a great idea.
                  --- In lds-youngwomen@yahoogroups.com, "Sharma Anderson" <sharma@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  the fear of loneliness, the fear of ignorance. Some fear the present,
                  some the future. Some carry the burden of sin and would give almost
                  anything to unshackle themselves from those
                  > burdens but fear to change their lives. Let us recognize that fear
                  comes not of God, but rather that this gnawing, destructive element
                  comes from the adversary of truth and righteousness. Fear is the
                  antithesis of faith. It is corrosive in its effects, even deadly.

                  > " 'For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and
                  of love, and of a sound mind' (2 Timothy 1:7).

                  > "We need not fear as long as we have in our lives the power that
                  comes from righteously living by the truth which is from God our
                  Eternal Father.

                  > "Nor need we fear as long as we have the power of faith."
                  >
                  > (Gordon B. Hinckley, "God Will Make a Way," New Era, Jan. 2002, 6-7)

                  11/20/2006 6:48 AM