[lds-youngwomen] Re: Personal Progress Lesson

  • Wayne Wells
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 1999
      Personal Progress is the heart of the Young Women program.
      Personal Progress is a resource to help families bring
      young women unto
      Christ.
      Personal Progress is a great tool for parents to learn
      more about their
      daughters and
      to share in some of their personal progress experiences.

      This is from Alice Gifford:

      I've posted this before but felt it was worth reposting for those who are
      new and also for the achieves. I only ask that you not change any of the
      story and give credit to Sister Allred and those she mentions in her talk.
      When I was called to serve as the Stake YW Pres., I was given a copy of the
      following talk given by Sister Lynn Allred who lived in the Lindsay Ward,
      Gilbert Arizona Val Vista Stake, and was serving as the YW president in her
      ward at that time. The information for her talk was given to her by Sister

      Ann Seamons, who served on the YW General Board for nine years and served
      with Sister Ardeth G. Kapp. She was also one the ten women involved in the
      creation of the values. I’ve received permission from Sister Allred to
      share this information with you. Here is her talk:

      "When Elaine Cannon was released and Sister Kapp was put in as General
      President of the Young Women, she didn't know what the Lord wanted her to
      do. She spent months on her knees begging for direction, many, many, hours
      agonizing and pleading for guidance. It was two months before she had
      counselors and five months before the board was in place. Shortly
      thereafter, they were asked to come to an all day retreat. They were to
      come fasting, bring their scriptures, and choose their favorite scripture to

      share, They were told to plan on being there eight or nine hours.

      There were ten women present from all walks of life. Single, married,
      younger, older, no children, lots of children, working women, stay-at-home
      moms. They shared their scriptures. Three of the ten had the same
      scripture. (D&C l23:ll-l7) Then they had an open discussion. After nine
      hours of praying, discussing, and scripture reading, on the board they had:

      Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice & Accountability,
      Good Works, and Integrity

      They sat and stared and wept as it was witnessed to each of them,
      individually and collectively, "This is what my young women need to come
      home to me. This is what will help them live my teachings and keep their
      covenants." These seven "things" didn't have a name. They weren't called
      values until later. There was some discussion about "obedience" and
      "honesty" being included in the list. Each of the seven board members took
      the next six months and totally researched one of the values. They searched

      for every scripture, talk and article on the subject.

      Over the course of the next nine months, piece by piece, the personal
      progress program was developed. It was made known to the board that it was
      to replace the existing program.

      Sister Kapp was invited to the Priesthood Executive Council meeting with all

      of the general authorities. It was the first time in the history of the
      church that a woman was invited. (They now attend once a month).

      Sister Kapp presented the values to the First Presidency. She said the
      first three values have to do with their identity. The next four, their
      direction. They are in order. The first value is the same as the first
      principle of the gospel, "Faith". You can't do anything in this life if you

      don't have faith in Jesus Christ and His plan. All that we do is predicated

      on faith in the Savior. Once you understand that, you can better comprehend

      "Divine Nature", that you really are a child of God. Then you are prepared
      to grasp your "Individual Worth" and once you have your identity, you are
      ready to receive direction. You are prepared to cultivate "Knowledge". The

      more you know, the more "Accountable" you are for every "Choice" you make.
      Then you are ready to nurture others, build the kingdom, and bless the lives

      of others through "Good Works". Finally, when you live what you know, you
      have "Integrity".

      I asked what the reaction of the First Presidency was. She said, "They were

      thrilled!".

      Divine direction was received in pieces. During the many months that the
      work was being done on the Personal progress program, the general board
      would send the information to the Correlation Committee of the church for
      approval. It was returned to them many times for revisions. They wrote and

      rewrote....every single word of the Personal Progress Book has been
      approved.

      The values were introduced at the first satellite broadcast for young women
      in l984."

      Another point Sister Allred made and explained so well was the
      Young Women in Excellence program.

      She said, "The Young Women in Excellence program is an incredible tool.

      At the beginning of the year, each young woman should choose a value and
      immerse herself in it. The question should not be, “ What do I want to do?"
      but "What do I want to become?"

      Then if she chooses faith, she'll study faith, she'll pray about faith, she
      will collect stories and articles about faith, maybe she'll write poetry
      about faith, she may go interview the Stake President about Faith, she'll
      get a computer printout of every scripture that has the word faith in it,
      and by the end of the year, she will have become a young woman of EXCELLENT
      faith.

      Then she will complete a project, to express her understanding of the value
      she has chosen. The focus won't be the project. The focus is the Value.
      The project is only a symbol of what she has “become”."