RE: [lds-youngwomen] Interior Design

  • Wendee S. Nelson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      Aluminum foil for mirrors

      Little pieces of material for beds

      Little card board boxes (like jewelry boxes from Avon) for furniture or beds

      Magazines (small pictures) for wall art

      Pipe cleaners for picture/mirror frames or bed posts

      Popsicle sticks for anything (furniture/beds/walls/etc.)

      Cotton balls for bedding/pillows

      Wallpaper samples (from the store) to wallpaper the shoebox

      I grew up as a poor, yet resourceful, only child. LOL! Hope this helps!

      Wendee S. Nelson

      Developer/Consultant

      LakerTech Consulting

      Mobile: 616/799-1898

      _____

        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2007
          Hi Kelli,

          My thought on this is maybe instead of trying to design bedroom IN a
          shoebox, y'all could do room design boards, or room design on a
          shoestring. I don't know if you've ever seen any of the design shows
          they have on TV (like on the Home & Garden channel--HGTV), but for each
          room they design, they do a design board. The design board shows
          samples of what would go on the wall--wallpaper or paint (you can get
          paint chips for free at any home improvement store or WalMart), the
          fabrics they would choose (bed cover and throw pillows), and styles and
          materials for furniture pieces. You could use catalogs or
          advertisements for the girls to cut out things they like to "create"
          their bedroom.

          It may be too late to get them at this point, but IKEA, Pottery Barn,
          and many local furniture stores have free catalogs or advertisements
          that could be used. If you have someone in your ward whose house is one
          the girls seem to like, you could ask them to talk about how they use
          colors, fabrics, and furniture to create a mood in their home.

          I did a couple google searches and found a few links that might be
          helpful:

          http://freshome.com/2007/04/17/room-color-and-how-it-affects-your-mood/
          <http://freshome.com/2007/04/17/room-color-and-how-it-affects-your-mood/\

          http://interiordec.about.com/od/teenrooms/Older_Kids_and_Teen_Rooms.htm
          <http://interiordec.about.com/od/teenrooms/Older_Kids_and_Teen_Rooms.htm\

          Another thing you could do is have the girls come with the dimensions of
          their rooms, doors/windows, closets and furniture, and you could
          experiment with different layouts of their room on graph paper.

          Enjoy your activity tomorrow. It sounds fun! :-)

          --nlm