[lds-youngwomen] Need help for a hanout

  • Stacie Bonar
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16 11:04 AM
      Dear Sisters~
      The YW from our Ward are going to the Mesa, AZ temple pageant. This is a
      really big trip for us (we are from Vista, CA...north 45 min from SAn
      Diego). Any how, on Sunday the YW Pres asked me for some ideas for a
      handout, note, something that could help cap off the evening. I have no
      ideas, HELP!
      I really appreciate any ideas!
      Thanks~Stacie

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/lds-youngwomen
    • Wayne Wells
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16 1:02 PM
        Temple Quotes

        "It is imperative that we have temples and that we use them to
        capacity. Not just build, but fill." --President Spencer W. Kimball,
        at the dedication of the Washington DC temple

        "In the peace of our lovely temples, sometimes the seious problems of
        life find their solutions. Under the influence of the Spirit, sometimes
        pure knowledge flows to us there. The blessing of the House of the Lord
        are eternal. Thhey are of the highest importance too, because in the
        temples we obtain God's greatest blessings pertaining to eternal life.
        Temples are really the gateways to heaven, The temple is one of the
        holy places in which the Savior commanded the faithful to stand. It is
        a holy place because it is a house of covenants." --Pres. Ezra Taft
        Benson

        Our motives are not selfish; our purposes not petty and earthbound; we
        contemplate the human race---past, present, and yet to come--as immortal
        beings, for whose salvation it is our misson to labor; and to this work,
        broad as eternity and deep as the love of God, we devote ourselves
        now,and forever.
        James R. Clark-1907

        Through our efforts in their behalf their chains of bondage will fall
        from them, and the darkness surrounding them will clear away, that light
        may shine upon them and they shall hear in the spirit world of the work
        being done for them by their children here[on earth], and will rejoice
        with you in your performance of these duties.
        Joseph F. Smith-1916

        All that we do for our own salvation must be done for the salvation of
        our dear ones, because salvation id the same for all.
        Prophet Joseph Smith

        That which goes on in the House of the Lord, and which must be preceded
        by research, comes nearer to the spirit of the spirit of sacrefice of
        the Lord than any other activity of which I know. Why? Beause it is done
        by those who give freely of time and substance, without any expectation
        of thanks or reward, to do for others that which they cannot do for
        themselves.
        President Gorden B.Hinkley

        The keys to seal and bind on the earth and have it bound in heaven,
        represent the consummate gift from our God. With that authority we can
        baptize and bless, endow and seal and the Lord will honor our
        committments.
        President Boyd K. Packer

        The House of the Lord, bathed in light, standing out in the darkness,
        becomessymbolic of the power and inspiration of the gospel of Jesus
        Christ standing as a beacon in a world sinking into spiritual darkness.
        President Boyd K. Packer

        The temple is the only "university" for men to prepare spiritually for
        their graduation to eternal life.

        it in the foyer of the Washington DC Temple. It was written by President
        Kimball for the dedication.

        Enter this door
        As if the floor
        Were gold.
        And every wall
        Of Jewels
        All of wealth untold.

        As if a Choir
        In robes of fire
        Were singing here.

        Nor shout
        Nor rush,
        But hush...
        For God is here.

        President Spencer W. Kimball

        Theme: Temple Worship

        When we go to the temple because we want to go and not because it is
        an obligation; when we go with an attitude of worship and a
        reverence for God and for His son Jesus Christ, and with gratitude
        for the Savior's sacrifice; when we spend sufficient time to leave
        the cares of the world outside, wonderful things happen which cannot
        be described. The Spirit of the Lord distills upon one's soul in
        these holy houses, truly the most sacred places on earth. A new
        perception comes into focus of who we are, of what this life is
        really about, of the opportunities of eternal life, and of our
        relationship with the Savior.--Bishop Victor L. Brown, General
        Conference, October 1989

        Theme: Temple Worship

        We again emphasize the personal blessings of temple worship and the
        sanctity and safety that are provided within those hallowed walls. It
        is the house of the Lord, a place of revelation and of peace. As we
        attend the temple, we learn more richly and deeply the purpose of life
        and the significance of the atoning sacrifice of the Lord Jesus
        Christ. Let us make the temple, with temple worship and temple
        covenants and temple marriage, our ultimate earthly goal and the
        supreme mortal experience.--Pres. Howard W. Hunter, General
        Conference, October 1994
        ~~~

        1992 April Conference talk by Elder David B. Haight entitled "Come to the
        House of
        the Lord."

        "A temple is a place in which those whom he has chosen are endowed
        with power from on high - a power which enables us to use our gifts and
        capabilities with greater intelligence and increased effectiveness in
        order to bring to pass our Heavenly Father's purposes in our lives and
        the lives of those we love."

        ****
        PRESIDENT EZRA TAFT BENSON, "In the peace of these lovely temples,
        sometimes we find solutions to the serious problems of life. Under the
        influence of the spirit, sometimes pure knowledge flows to us there.
        Temples are places of personal revelation. When I have been weighed
        down by a problem or a difficulty, I have gone to the House of the Lord
        with a prayer in my heart for answers. These answers have come in clear
        and unmistakable ways."

        ELDER JOHN A. WIDSTOE, "If a person will leave his problems behind, and
        in the temple, work for himself and for his dead, he will confer a
        mighty blessing upon those who have gone before, and quite as large a
        blessing will come to him. For, at the most unexpected moments, in or
        out of the temple will come to him, as a revelation, the solution of the
        problems that vex his life. That is the gift that comes to those who
        enter the temple properly. Because, it is a place where revelations may
        be expected."

        ELDER VAUGHN J. FEATHERSTONE, given in the Manti temple in April of
        1987, "Before the Savior comes the world will darken. There will come a
        period of time where even the elect will lose hope if they do not come
        to the temple.

        The world will be so filled with evil that the righteous will only feel
        secure within these walls.

        The saints will come here not only to do vicarious work, but to find a
        haven of peace.

        They will long to bring their children here for safety's sake. We will
        not be alone in our temples.

        The covenants and ordinances will fill us with faith as a living fire.

        In a day of desolating sickness, scorched earth, barren wastes,
        sickening plagues, disease, destruction, and death, we as a people will
        rest in the shade of trees; we will drink from the cooling fountains; we
        will abide in places of refuge from the storm; we will mount up as on
        eagle's wings; we will be lifted out of an insane and evil world. We
        will be as fair as the sun and clear as the moon.

        When the Savior comes, He will honor His people. Those who are spared
        and prepared will be a temple-loving people. They will know him.

        Our children will bow down at His feet and worship Him as the Lord of
        Lords, the King of Kings. They will bathe His feet with their tears and
        He will weep and bless them for having suffered through the greatest
        trials known to man.

        Let us prepare them with the faith to surmount every trial and every
        condition. We will do it in these Holy, Sacred Temples."

        *****

        Elder J. Ballard Washburn in the May 1995 issue of the Ensign said "By
        keeping
        the temple covenants, all of God's children may be exalted.

        We go to the temple to make the covenants, but we go home to keep those
        covenants."

        *****

        In an address to the regional representatives of the Church on 6 April
        1984, President Gordon B. Hinckley said, "I am satisfied that if our
        people would attend the temple more, there would be less of selfishness
        in their lives. There would be less of absence of love in their
        relationships. There would be more of fidelity on the part of husbands
        and wives. There would be more of love and peace and happiness in the
        homes of our people."

        *****

        Theme: Temple Worship

        Elder John A. Widtsoe made this remarkable statement: "When the
        history of human thought shall be written from the point of view of
        temple worship, it may well be found that temples and the work done in
        them have been the dominating influence in shaping human thought from
        the beginning of the race. Even today," he continued, "political
        controversies are as nothing in determining the temper of a people, as
        compared with religious sentiments and convictions, especially as
        practiced in the temples of the people." ("Temple Worship," p. 52.)
        The salvation of our Heavenly Father's children from Adam and Eve to
        the present generation is the most important work in time and
        eternity. Our joy--or our disappointment in the eternities may hinge
        on our willing participation in this great latter-day work.--Elder
        David B. Haight, General Conference, April 1993

        Theme: Temple Worship

        John A. Widtsoe wrote: "I believe that the busy person on the farm,
        in the shop, in the office, or in the household, who has his worries
        and troubles, can solve his problems better and more quickly in the
        house of the Lord than anywhere else. If he will ... [do] the
        temple work for himself and for his dead, he will confer a mighty
        blessing upon those who have gone before, and ... a blessing will
        come to him, for at the most unexpected moments, in or out of the
        temple will come to him, as a revelation, the solution of the
        problems that vex his life. That is the gift that comes to those who
        enter the temple properly" ("Temple Worship," The-Utah Genealogical
        and Historical Magazine, Apr. 1921, pp. 63-64).--Elder David B.
        Haight, General Conference, October 1990

        "Death of a loved one is the most severe test that you will ever face,
        and if you can rise above your griefs and if you will trust in God, then
        you will be able to surmount any other difficulty with which you may be
        faced." Harold B. Lee (Aug. 1971 New Era, pgs.4-9)

        Harold Glen Clark wrote an article in the October 1983 Ensign, p. 68, titled

        Four Blessings of the Temple

        1.First, the light and knowledge promised by the Father may come to us in
        the
        temple through the agency of the Holy Ghost.

        The Lord has said he would reveal to us in his temple *those ordinances . .
        .
        which have been hid from before the world was.* (D&C 124.38.) The temple is
        place of revelation.

        The standard works and the inspired public utterances of the modern-day
        prophets are revelations. In the temple, as in our private prayers, we may
        also receive revelation directly from God. Our contact with him in that
        setting is sweet, sacred, and personal. The sacred clothing is personal,
        provided for us by the servants of God. The ordinances of washing and
        anointing are all personal. The covenants are personal. We cannot find them
        spelled out in the scriptures. These things were not meant for the people of

        the world until they prepare themselves. And the promise of a fullness of
        life
        is realized only when the worthy continuously and purposefully participate
        in
        temple worship.

        Revelation to help us with difficult problems may come to us in the temple.

        The temple is a house of prayer. We may receive answers to our heart-felt
        questions if we go to the temple with a sincere desire to obtain them.
        There,
        the Holy Ghost may grant us added light and knowledge and the privilege of
        receiving the answers to the problems and trials the world presents.

        In this world we may receive many gifts -- cars, money, beautiful homes,
        educational degrees, and fame in our professions. But none of these compares

        to the light and revelation that comes to us in the temple. Why is this so?
        Because there is a special spirit in the temple that can bring us direction
        and peace in our lives.

        2.A second great blessing the temple offers us is instruction in the
        requirements of personal righteousness.

        Regular temple attendance will help us remember our temple covenants. These
        covenants involve obedience, sacrifice, the submission to gospel law,
        purity,
        and the promise to answer the call of our Church leaders with our best
        energies.

        If we are faithful to these covenants, the Holy Spirit of Promise will seal
        all of our sealings, covenants, and promises. Brigham Young once said of a
        righteous woman, who died before she had a chance to be married, that she
        would not be denied husband, family and exaltation. Thus, righteous people
        who
        die before being married or remain unmarried for valid reasons will have the

        privilege in the Lord's own time to have these ordinances performed and
        sealed
        by the Holy Spirit of Promise.

        Regular temple attendance will help those who have been sealed retain their
        sealings and assure their exaltations through a righteous life. Indeed, we
        may
        all lose important blessings if we do not live up to our temple covenants.
        How
        important personal righteousness is!

        It should be difficult to come regularly to the temple, where we hold up our

        hands in solemn covenants of goodwill, and then be unkind or unforgiving.
        Temple attendance encourages us to forgive others and to live righteously
        ourselves. It should be difficult to participate regularly in the temple and

        not be in the process of saving and uplifting our families and ourselves.

        3.A third blessing of the temple is that it serves as a place where we are
        taught our responsibility for others.

        Our first concern is personal righteousness and personal salvation. But
        exaltation and eternal life can only come by taking the next step -- helping

        others. You should help your partner in marriage, your children, and your
        parents, your brothers and sisters -- and thus the circle of your influence
        widens to finally include all the children born on this earth. We can help
        living family members by living righteously ourselves and encouraging them
        do likewise; we can help deceased family members by doing temple work for
        the
        dead.

        The power available to us through the ordinances of the temple helps us
        fulfill our longing for an eternal family unit. We must so teach our
        children
        that they will want to go to the temple and receive this promise. We must
        also
        help our children to be prepared to enter the temple.

        4.A fourth blessing of the temple is receiving the knowledge that we are a
        part of a great cause.

        This is an uplifting feeling -- to know that we are a part of an inspired
        and
        very real plan headed by the Lord Jesus Christ himself. We are part of the
        preparation for His Second Coming.

        People without faith doubt that every one of God's children has the chance
        of
        accepting the gospel. They do not know that the faithful are working as hard

        or even harder in the spirit world than we are to move God's plan along. Our

        concern should be to perform the ordinances for the dead so that they will
        not
        be held back.

        Let us commit ourselves to regular temple worship. One of the greatest of
        our
        duties is temple attendance, and some of the greatest of the promises given
        us are found in temple worship. If we come to the Lord's holy temples with
        our
        minds focused on the things of the Spirit, we may feel God's presence. In
        this
        way, a temple is a place where God manifests himself to man. And what grater

        blessing than to have this manifestation? Under these circumstances, the
        symbolism of the endowment becomes much clearer. Every part of the ceremony
        becomes uplifting and sanctifying. We become better people.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24 3:22 PM
          Thank you so much for help with the temple handout. I gave your wonderful quotes
          to the YW pres & was amazed at all you had. Thank you again, I don't know what
          we would've done without you!
          Hugs~Stacie

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/lds-youngwomen