Re: [lds-youngwomen] christmas lesson

  • Sharma Anderson
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1 8:19 AM
      Here are the stories that I have to go with each piece of the set. You
      can go in any order but mine started with

      Mary.
      Picture in your mind Mary, young, a virgin, described in scripture as "Most
      beautiful and fair above all other virgins" (1 Nephi 11:15), "a precious and
      chosen vessel" (Alma :10), "Blessed ... among women (Luke 1:28). This is
      what we know of Mary, but Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained, "We cannot but
      think that the Father would choose the greatest female spirit to be the
      mother of his Son, even as he chose the male spirit like unto him to be the
      Savior". When the angel appeared to Mary, "she was troubled" (Luke 1:29).
      Can you imagine? Troubled is probably an understatement. Here was an
      angel...an angel...speaking directly to her...about a matter that perplexed
      her. Nevertheless, she listened to the angel as he taught her about Jesus
      and her role in brining Him into mortality. When she had been taught by the
      angel, she believed, and she submitted herself to her calling. "Behold the
      handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word" (Luke 1:38). And
      with her cousin Elisabeth, Mary rejoiced: "My soul doth magnify the Lord,
      And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior...For he that is mighty hath
      done to me great things; and holy is his name" (Luke 1:46-47, 49). When Mary
      heard and believed and when she submitted, her troubled mind was put to
      rest.

      Joseph

      What would it be like to walk with Joseph? Joseph was "a just man"(Matthew
      1:19). I would think he must have been led by the Spirit to love Mary, in
      order that Jesus would have an exemplary, just, and devoted earthly
      upbringing. If Mary was as good as the scriptures say, it probably wasn't
      hard for Joseph to love her. But Joseph, too, experienced deep anxiety after
      learning of Mary's pregnancy. He must have been disappointed, even
      devastated. How should he respond? Would he, as was customary, chastise her
      publicly? Or would he just quietly break the engagement? As he "thought on
      these things", the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and
      explained to him that Mary had conceived "of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 1:20).
      This beautiful young girl to whom he was engaged would be the mother of the
      Savior of the world. He should not be afraid to marry her, because she was
      indeed still a virgin, worthy of his love. Joseph listened, heeded the
      angel's counsel, and "took unto him his wife" (Matthew 1:24). When Joseph
      believed and submitted, he was at rest.

      The donkey
      Mary's Journey

      The black and silver sky bends over us like the dome of a shining temple.
      Far in the East a lone star gleams with a peculiar intensity. I watch it as
      Joseph adjusts the pack on this donkey. "We must hurry if we are to be off
      before day breaks," he says. It will be a long journey to Bethlehem where
      Joseph must pay his tax. Five, even six days. What I fear most is that my
      child may be born on the cold, lonely road. My time is so very near.

      As Joseph lifts me upon the donkey's back, I cannot ignore the sudden rush
      of
      fears. The donkey's hoofs ring hollow on the cobbled street. Oh stop! I want
      to cry out. Let me remain here in my safe bed. Here, where I can deliver
      this
      child while surrounded by my mother and my aunts. But Joseph and I plod on,
      silent shadow in the fading night moving as though in a dream.

      At the edge of Nazareth where the stone street gives way to dirt, I turn and
      look back. Some how I know that nothing will ever be the same again...the
      journey has begun.

      I watch Joseph's sure hand tug the little donkey forward into the darkness.
      am struck by the simple thought, Are we not led by God as surely as Joseph
      leads the donkey? Now the sound of the donkey's hoofs on the road does not
      seem as lonely, nor does the dark distance seem as ready to swallow us up.
      This is not a journey of uncertainly, it is a journey of faith.

      The Stable

      Think about Bethlehem. Think of the busy streets filled with people trying
      find a place to stay for the night. Joseph and Mary have finally made it to
      this little Judeans town, but where can they stay?

      Inside, the inn buzzed with laughter and chatter. Distant relatives who had
      not seen each other in years renewed family ties over bowls of hot soup and
      goblets of wine. They broke bread together, swapping stories of their
      journeys. A teenage boy strummed his lyre in the corner, and veral fathers
      clapped their hands in time to the music.

      In the rush to serve tables, the innkeeper, balancing a tray of breads and
      meats answered a knock at the door. A man calling himself Joseph stood
      outside. He and his young wife needed a room. A glance told the innkeeper
      the woman was heavy with child. He could barely hear himself talk with so
      much noise behind him, but he managed to explain that there was no room,
      only an empty stall in the stable out back.

      Shrugging his shoulders, the innkeeper quickly apologized and went into the
      crowded room. Outside, Joseph stood for a moment, listening to the laughter
      inside. Back in the stillness of the night, Mary waited. The young couple
      made
      their way to the stable. And while music and laughter and feasting went on
      and
      on, just yards away behind the walls of the inn, the Son of God quietly
      entered mortality.

      Sometimes the best moments of the Christmas season do not happen during
      the crowded parties or the rush of holiday preparations. They don't occur in
      the music and laughter, the camaraderie and feasting.

      Special Christmas memories are those quiet moments when God unexpectedly
      surprises us. With Himself. With an overwhelming sense of His nearness and
      love.

      In the midst of so much activity, so much going on, so many days in the
      calendar filled with appointments or parties. God seeks out the quiet heart,
      and speaks to us in a still small voice.

      Think of the stable in Bethlehem. Somehow it stands serene. What a contrast
      to the celebrating going on in that inn. Who would have supposed? Who would
      have suspected? If someone had only dropped what he was doing to leave the
      party and go check on his donkey. If someone had only slipped away from the
      festivities for a moment to seek a quiet moment outside.

      Just think of what they might have witnessed! Perhaps they would have seen
      the angels. Maybe the shepherds. And yes, even the Son of God. Take the time
      this Christmas season to step outside the clamor and excitement. Visit the
      stable and ask God to speak to you in the quiet and serenity and stillness
      He will!!!

      The Oxen

      Christmas Eve, and twelve of the clock

      "Now they are all on their knees",

      An elder said as we sat in a flock

      By the embers in hearth side ease.

      We pictured the meek mild creatures where

      They dwelt in their straw pen

      Nor did it occur to one of us there

      To doubt they were kneeling then.

      So fair a fancy few would weave

      In these years! Yet, I feel,

      If someone said on Christmas Eve,

      "Come; see the oxen kneel,

      "In the lonely Barton by yonder coomb

      Our childhood used to know",

      I should go with him in the gloom,

      Hoping it might be so.

      The sheep

      Little lambs so meek and mild

      Followed your shepherd to Bethlehem

      Blessed, you see the newborn child

      Jesus. The Savior of all Men

      The Shepherd

      When the angel of the Lord came upon the shepherds "Keeping watch over their
      flock by night...they were sore afraid" (Luke 2:8-9). It seems that angelic
      visitations must have quite an effect when they appear suddenly. Sore
      afraid. Don't you imagine that sore afraid means more than nervous or
      uncomfortable?

      How would you have felt? I suspect they were terrified. But then the angel
      delivered the good tidings, the joyful message, that the Savior, Christ the
      Lord, had been born. They listened and must have believed, because they
      decided they must go "with haste" to see Baby Jesus (Luke 2:16). When they
      had seen Him, they didn't just quietly return to their flocks...they shared
      what they had seen and heard (verse 17). They must have made quite an
      impression, because "all that heard it wondered at those things which were
      told them by the shepherds" (verse 18) Yes, when the shepherds listened and
      believed their fear was put to rest.
      They came unto Christ. Then they shared this new truth.

      The three wiseman

      Somewhere east of Jerusalem were wise men, Magi, whom the Bible Dictionary
      identifies as "righteous men sent on an errand to witness the presence of
      the
      Son of God on the earth". We don't know how many came, but tradition assumes
      three because of the three gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. We know
      that if they were sent as witnesses, there must have of necessity been two
      or three. "Their spiritual capacity is evident: They were able to see the
      star when others could not; they knew its meaning, and brought gifts...Their
      knowledge was precise and accurate. It seems likely that they were
      representatives of a branch of the Lord's people...led by the Spirit, to
      behold the Son of God, and who returned to their people to bear witness that
      the King Immanuel had indeed been born in the flesh. Imagine that we are
      accompanying the Wise men on their journey. What happened to them when they
      came unto Christ? Since they were already believers, they probably feared
      neither the star nor the journey and its purpose. But in their search they
      inquired of King Herod, "Where is the child that is born, the Messiah of the
      Jews? Herod's request that they return after finding the child
      was superseded by God's warning in a dream that they should not return to
      Herod. So after they had found the child and worshiped Him and presented
      their
      gifts Luke records that they "departed into their own country another way".
      They
      too, heeded God's words. Now, we know the warning to take another route home
      was to save the life of the child Jesus. But we like to think that after
      coming to Christ, departing "another way" could mean they departed changed
      men. With their testimonies of the Savior confirmed, they were, perhaps, now
      at rest concerning the future, joyfully optimistic, and ready to move
      forward with confidence to lead others in their own country to Christ.
      Perhaps their rest was that they would be better, kinder, more humble. More
      generous, more patient, more forgiving, more loving.

      Wiseman 2

      The First Noel
      This star drew nigh to the north-west
      O'er Bethlehem it took its rest.
      And there it did both stop and stay
      Right over the Place where Jesus lay.
      Then entered in those wise men three
      Fell reverently upon their knee
      And offered there in his presence
      Their gold and myrrh and frankincense.

      Wiseman 3

      We three Kings of Orient Are
      Bearing gifts we traverse afar,
      Field and fountain, moor and mountain,
      Following yonder star.

      Melchior: Born a babe on Bethlehem's plain
      Gold I bring to crown Him again;
      King forever, ceasing never
      Over us all to reign.

      Caspar: Frankincense to offer have I'
      Incense owns a Deity nigh
      Prayer and praising all men raising,
      Worship Him, God on High.

      Balthasar: Myrrh is mine: its bitter perfume
      Breathes a life of gathering gloom;
      Sorrowing sighing, bleeding, dying,
      Sealed in the stone-cold tomb.

      Glorious now behold Him arise,
      King and God and Sacrifice;
      Heaven sings "Hallelujah"!
      "Hallelujah"! Earth replies.

      O star of wonder, star of night,
      Star with royal beauty bright,
      Westward leading, still proceeding
      Guide us to the perfect light.

      Angel
      Where are the lambs...
      Who first saw the star?
      You have the donkey...
      That traveled far!
      This is the ox...
      In the stable he lay
      They were all there on that
      first Christmas Day!

      The very last piece you give is the baby Jesus, but he had no saying,
      you will have to be creative, which I am not. :-) I think the Angel needs a
      little saying about Angels. They were printed in all different type of font,
      on cute Christmas paper with pictures of the story.

      Sharma Worthen Anderson
      Finding the beauty in Burley Idaho
      but still missing the Beautiful Oregon Coast

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2 8:46 AM
        The girls need to create a video for a project, so I can't use the
        Restoration, but if anyone has good ideas on where I can get
        information about the "women in Joseph's life" I would appreciate it.

        Thanks
        Deonna
        On Monday, November 29, 2004, at 12:57 PM, skeeberb@... wrote:

        > The video/DVD "The Restoration" is only 20 min. long. Why not just
        > show that?
        >

        > In a message dated 11/29/2004 12:50:56 PM Mountain Standard Time,
        > deonna.heath@... writes:
        >
        > Sisters,
        > I am trying to come up with some ideas to help my beehives create a
        > short video for the 200 year Joseph Smith commemoration this year.
        > Does anyone have any ideas of what we could videotape and what we
        > could
        > include?

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Business Teacher
        Red Hills Middle School
        Richfield, Utah 84701
      • Amy Lowe
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2 10:23 AM
          I really like "The Work and the Glory" books. I know the story line is fictional but I think it would give you a good feel about the "women in Joseph's life." It also contains refrences at the end of each chapter, so you can find a lot more info. Just a thought. Good Luck! Amy

          Deonna Heath <deonna.heath@...> wrote:The girls need to create a video for a project, so I can't use the
          Restoration, but if anyone has good ideas on where I can get
          information about the "women in Joseph's life" I would appreciate it.

          Thanks
          Deonna
          On Monday, November 29, 2004, at 12:57 PM, skeeberb@... wrote:

          > The video/DVD "The Restoration" is only 20 min. long. Why not just
          > show that?
          >

          > In a message dated 11/29/2004 12:50:56 PM Mountain Standard Time,
          > deonna.heath@... writes:
          >
          > Sisters,
          > I am trying to come up with some ideas to help my beehives create a
          > short video for the 200 year Joseph Smith commemoration this year.
          > Does anyone have any ideas of what we could videotape and what we
          > could
          > include?

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Business Teacher
          Red Hills Middle School
          Richfield, Utah 84701

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • harrisvm1998
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 18 12:08 AM
            Hi sisters, I am wondering what you other sisters are doing this Sunday for a Christmas
            lesson? I wanted to do something memorable and meaningful for the YW but nothing has
            really seemed to click for me yet. I would love any suggestions! Thanks so much. Julie
          • SLJ
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 18 10:15 AM
              I was really touched when I read through the lesson someone posted about the 4 gifts. So that is what I will be doing.for my lesson. I am going to then give them these goals books that I made for each of them and encourage them to write down goals regarding each of these "gifts" and then throughout the year write their feelings about each of these gifts and about other goals they set throughout the year. I teach Laurels which are always easier to give a spiritual lesson to.

              Sherri in CA
              Hi sisters, I am wondering what you other sisters are doing this Sunday for a Christmas
              lesson? I wanted to do something memorable and meaningful for the YW but nothing has
              really seemed to click for me yet. I would love any suggestions! Thanks so much. Julie

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              Children International
              Give a Child the gift of Hope this Holiday season

              · Click Here to meet a Boy
              And Change His Life

              · Click Here to meet a Girl
              And Give Her Hope are

              Learn More

            • rcpostoian
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 4 1:16 PM
                Ladies-

                I am in charge of giving the christmas lesson this year. Do you have
                any lessons that you have given in the past. Any suggestions would be
                greatly appreciated.
                Thanks- Christi
              • Lynda McClellan
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 31 9:26 PM
                  We also did the 'Women who knew Jesus' and it went really well. We each took a part and even tho I have read it through several times so I wouldnt cry..I cried but them so did several of the other women (and girls). My "Mary" was my activity counselor who is a new Mom so she even held her baby as Jesus. The girls really paid attension and there was a sweet spirit the whole time. We ended a few minutes early and even then the were quite as they visited.

                  Lynda McClellan

                • youngwomenfaith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 30, 2008
                    I have tried to locate the book "True Spirit of Christmas" by S.
                    Michael Wilcox and have not been able to find it. Would you let me
                    know where the story you used is specifically from. Thanks
                    Tish
                  • Cherished
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2 6:30 AM
                      It's from a book called Celebration of Christmas: A Collection of Stories, Poems, Essays, and Traditions by Favorite LDS Authors. So, Wilcox didn't write the book... He just had "The True Spirit of Christmas" in it... I think it may have been put out by Deseret Book several years ago. HTH!

                      Hugs,
                      Cherish