Re: [lds-youngwomen] christmas lesson

  • B&E Kayner
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 29, 2004
      We are doing something like this....The young women are taking over Sharing Time on Dec. 12, and presenting the Nativity using "The Nativity Song" in the Children's Songbook. The young women are going to sing the song and between each verse have the children help put up artwork that represents that part of the song. It should be really simple yet beautiful! :) Here is the music at lds.org (The Nativity Song): http://www.lds.org/cm/catalogsearchalpha/1,17929,4958-1-2,00.html?reportStart=21&reportEnd=40&searchPhrase=T

      Hope this helps,
      Emily in FL :)

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 29, 2004
        There's one on YWconnection.com. Here's the link...

        http://www.ywconnection.com/Holiday/pageHthenativity.html

        (if the link doesn't work it's under holidays, christmas, the
        nativity)

        --- In lds-youngwomen@yahoogroups.com, Cyn1962@a... wrote:
        > Hi, years ago I did a christmas lesson where I took each piece of
        a nativity
        > set and with each piece there was a paragraph or two that was read
        as
        > someone placed that piece of the nativity on the table. A
        different person would
        > go up and read their blurb on their nativity piece and then place
        it on the
        > table, when everyone was done, the nativity would be complete.
        Of course, I
        > can't find my copy. Does anyone have a copy of this or know
        where I can find
        > it? Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Cyndi
        > So. Calif.

      • Deonna Heath
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 29, 2004
          Sisters,
          I am trying to come up with some ideas to help my beehives create a
          short video for the 200 year Joseph Smith commemoration this year.
          Does anyone have any ideas of what we could videotape and what we could
          include?

          Thanks
          Deonna
        • skeeberb@aol.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 29, 2004
              Thank you so much, that nativity story was exactly what I was looking for.

              Cyndi
            • Sharma Anderson
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2004
                Here are the stories that I have to go with each piece of the set. You
                can go in any order but mine started with

                Mary.
                Picture in your mind Mary, young, a virgin, described in scripture as "Most
                beautiful and fair above all other virgins" (1 Nephi 11:15), "a precious and
                chosen vessel" (Alma :10), "Blessed ... among women (Luke 1:28). This is
                what we know of Mary, but Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained, "We cannot but
                think that the Father would choose the greatest female spirit to be the
                mother of his Son, even as he chose the male spirit like unto him to be the
                Savior". When the angel appeared to Mary, "she was troubled" (Luke 1:29).
                Can you imagine? Troubled is probably an understatement. Here was an
                angel...an angel...speaking directly to her...about a matter that perplexed
                her. Nevertheless, she listened to the angel as he taught her about Jesus
                and her role in brining Him into mortality. When she had been taught by the
                angel, she believed, and she submitted herself to her calling. "Behold the
                handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word" (Luke 1:38). And
                with her cousin Elisabeth, Mary rejoiced: "My soul doth magnify the Lord,
                And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior...For he that is mighty hath
                done to me great things; and holy is his name" (Luke 1:46-47, 49). When Mary
                heard and believed and when she submitted, her troubled mind was put to
                rest.

                Joseph

                What would it be like to walk with Joseph? Joseph was "a just man"(Matthew
                1:19). I would think he must have been led by the Spirit to love Mary, in
                order that Jesus would have an exemplary, just, and devoted earthly
                upbringing. If Mary was as good as the scriptures say, it probably wasn't
                hard for Joseph to love her. But Joseph, too, experienced deep anxiety after
                learning of Mary's pregnancy. He must have been disappointed, even
                devastated. How should he respond? Would he, as was customary, chastise her
                publicly? Or would he just quietly break the engagement? As he "thought on
                these things", the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and
                explained to him that Mary had conceived "of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 1:20).
                This beautiful young girl to whom he was engaged would be the mother of the
                Savior of the world. He should not be afraid to marry her, because she was
                indeed still a virgin, worthy of his love. Joseph listened, heeded the
                angel's counsel, and "took unto him his wife" (Matthew 1:24). When Joseph
                believed and submitted, he was at rest.

                The donkey
                Mary's Journey

                The black and silver sky bends over us like the dome of a shining temple.
                Far in the East a lone star gleams with a peculiar intensity. I watch it as
                Joseph adjusts the pack on this donkey. "We must hurry if we are to be off
                before day breaks," he says. It will be a long journey to Bethlehem where
                Joseph must pay his tax. Five, even six days. What I fear most is that my
                child may be born on the cold, lonely road. My time is so very near.

                As Joseph lifts me upon the donkey's back, I cannot ignore the sudden rush
                of
                fears. The donkey's hoofs ring hollow on the cobbled street. Oh stop! I want
                to cry out. Let me remain here in my safe bed. Here, where I can deliver
                this
                child while surrounded by my mother and my aunts. But Joseph and I plod on,
                silent shadow in the fading night moving as though in a dream.

                At the edge of Nazareth where the stone street gives way to dirt, I turn and
                look back. Some how I know that nothing will ever be the same again...the
                journey has begun.

                I watch Joseph's sure hand tug the little donkey forward into the darkness.
                am struck by the simple thought, Are we not led by God as surely as Joseph
                leads the donkey? Now the sound of the donkey's hoofs on the road does not
                seem as lonely, nor does the dark distance seem as ready to swallow us up.
                This is not a journey of uncertainly, it is a journey of faith.

                The Stable

                Think about Bethlehem. Think of the busy streets filled with people trying
                find a place to stay for the night. Joseph and Mary have finally made it to
                this little Judeans town, but where can they stay?

                Inside, the inn buzzed with laughter and chatter. Distant relatives who had
                not seen each other in years renewed family ties over bowls of hot soup and
                goblets of wine. They broke bread together, swapping stories of their
                journeys. A teenage boy strummed his lyre in the corner, and veral fathers
                clapped their hands in time to the music.

                In the rush to serve tables, the innkeeper, balancing a tray of breads and
                meats answered a knock at the door. A man calling himself Joseph stood
                outside. He and his young wife needed a room. A glance told the innkeeper
                the woman was heavy with child. He could barely hear himself talk with so
                much noise behind him, but he managed to explain that there was no room,
                only an empty stall in the stable out back.

                Shrugging his shoulders, the innkeeper quickly apologized and went into the
                crowded room. Outside, Joseph stood for a moment, listening to the laughter
                inside. Back in the stillness of the night, Mary waited. The young couple
                made
                their way to the stable. And while music and laughter and feasting went on
                and
                on, just yards away behind the walls of the inn, the Son of God quietly
                entered mortality.

                Sometimes the best moments of the Christmas season do not happen during
                the crowded parties or the rush of holiday preparations. They don't occur in
                the music and laughter, the camaraderie and feasting.

                Special Christmas memories are those quiet moments when God unexpectedly
                surprises us. With Himself. With an overwhelming sense of His nearness and
                love.

                In the midst of so much activity, so much going on, so many days in the
                calendar filled with appointments or parties. God seeks out the quiet heart,
                and speaks to us in a still small voice.

                Think of the stable in Bethlehem. Somehow it stands serene. What a contrast
                to the celebrating going on in that inn. Who would have supposed? Who would
                have suspected? If someone had only dropped what he was doing to leave the
                party and go check on his donkey. If someone had only slipped away from the
                festivities for a moment to seek a quiet moment outside.

                Just think of what they might have witnessed! Perhaps they would have seen
                the angels. Maybe the shepherds. And yes, even the Son of God. Take the time
                this Christmas season to step outside the clamor and excitement. Visit the
                stable and ask God to speak to you in the quiet and serenity and stillness
                He will!!!

                The Oxen

                Christmas Eve, and twelve of the clock

                "Now they are all on their knees",

                An elder said as we sat in a flock

                By the embers in hearth side ease.

                We pictured the meek mild creatures where

                They dwelt in their straw pen

                Nor did it occur to one of us there

                To doubt they were kneeling then.

                So fair a fancy few would weave

                In these years! Yet, I feel,

                If someone said on Christmas Eve,

                "Come; see the oxen kneel,

                "In the lonely Barton by yonder coomb

                Our childhood used to know",

                I should go with him in the gloom,

                Hoping it might be so.

                The sheep

                Little lambs so meek and mild

                Followed your shepherd to Bethlehem

                Blessed, you see the newborn child

                Jesus. The Savior of all Men

                The Shepherd

                When the angel of the Lord came upon the shepherds "Keeping watch over their
                flock by night...they were sore afraid" (Luke 2:8-9). It seems that angelic
                visitations must have quite an effect when they appear suddenly. Sore
                afraid. Don't you imagine that sore afraid means more than nervous or
                uncomfortable?

                How would you have felt? I suspect they were terrified. But then the angel
                delivered the good tidings, the joyful message, that the Savior, Christ the
                Lord, had been born. They listened and must have believed, because they
                decided they must go "with haste" to see Baby Jesus (Luke 2:16). When they
                had seen Him, they didn't just quietly return to their flocks...they shared
                what they had seen and heard (verse 17). They must have made quite an
                impression, because "all that heard it wondered at those things which were
                told them by the shepherds" (verse 18) Yes, when the shepherds listened and
                believed their fear was put to rest.
                They came unto Christ. Then they shared this new truth.

                The three wiseman

                Somewhere east of Jerusalem were wise men, Magi, whom the Bible Dictionary
                identifies as "righteous men sent on an errand to witness the presence of
                the
                Son of God on the earth". We don't know how many came, but tradition assumes
                three because of the three gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. We know
                that if they were sent as witnesses, there must have of necessity been two
                or three. "Their spiritual capacity is evident: They were able to see the
                star when others could not; they knew its meaning, and brought gifts...Their
                knowledge was precise and accurate. It seems likely that they were
                representatives of a branch of the Lord's people...led by the Spirit, to
                behold the Son of God, and who returned to their people to bear witness that
                the King Immanuel had indeed been born in the flesh. Imagine that we are
                accompanying the Wise men on their journey. What happened to them when they
                came unto Christ? Since they were already believers, they probably feared
                neither the star nor the journey and its purpose. But in their search they
                inquired of King Herod, "Where is the child that is born, the Messiah of the
                Jews? Herod's request that they return after finding the child
                was superseded by God's warning in a dream that they should not return to
                Herod. So after they had found the child and worshiped Him and presented
                their
                gifts Luke records that they "departed into their own country another way".
                They
                too, heeded God's words. Now, we know the warning to take another route home
                was to save the life of the child Jesus. But we like to think that after
                coming to Christ, departing "another way" could mean they departed changed
                men. With their testimonies of the Savior confirmed, they were, perhaps, now
                at rest concerning the future, joyfully optimistic, and ready to move
                forward with confidence to lead others in their own country to Christ.
                Perhaps their rest was that they would be better, kinder, more humble. More
                generous, more patient, more forgiving, more loving.

                Wiseman 2

                The First Noel
                This star drew nigh to the north-west
                O'er Bethlehem it took its rest.
                And there it did both stop and stay
                Right over the Place where Jesus lay.
                Then entered in those wise men three
                Fell reverently upon their knee
                And offered there in his presence
                Their gold and myrrh and frankincense.

                Wiseman 3

                We three Kings of Orient Are
                Bearing gifts we traverse afar,
                Field and fountain, moor and mountain,
                Following yonder star.

                Melchior: Born a babe on Bethlehem's plain
                Gold I bring to crown Him again;
                King forever, ceasing never
                Over us all to reign.

                Caspar: Frankincense to offer have I'
                Incense owns a Deity nigh
                Prayer and praising all men raising,
                Worship Him, God on High.

                Balthasar: Myrrh is mine: its bitter perfume
                Breathes a life of gathering gloom;
                Sorrowing sighing, bleeding, dying,
                Sealed in the stone-cold tomb.

                Glorious now behold Him arise,
                King and God and Sacrifice;
                Heaven sings "Hallelujah"!
                "Hallelujah"! Earth replies.

                O star of wonder, star of night,
                Star with royal beauty bright,
                Westward leading, still proceeding
                Guide us to the perfect light.

                Angel
                Where are the lambs...
                Who first saw the star?
                You have the donkey...
                That traveled far!
                This is the ox...
                In the stable he lay
                They were all there on that
                first Christmas Day!

                The very last piece you give is the baby Jesus, but he had no saying,
                you will have to be creative, which I am not. :-) I think the Angel needs a
                little saying about Angels. They were printed in all different type of font,
                on cute Christmas paper with pictures of the story.

                Sharma Worthen Anderson
                Finding the beauty in Burley Idaho
                but still missing the Beautiful Oregon Coast

                > Hi, years ago I did a christmas lesson where I took each piece of a
                nativity
                > set and with each piece there was a paragraph or two that was read as
                > someone placed that piece of the nativity on the table. A different
                person would
                > go up and read their blurb on their nativity piece and then place it on
                the
                > table, when everyone was done, the nativity would be complete. Of
                course, I
                > can't find my copy. Does anyone have a copy of this or know where I can
                find
                > it? Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Cyndi
                > So. Calif.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Deonna Heath
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                  The girls need to create a video for a project, so I can't use the
                  Restoration, but if anyone has good ideas on where I can get
                  information about the "women in Joseph's life" I would appreciate it.

                  Thanks
                  Deonna
                  On Monday, November 29, 2004, at 12:57 PM, skeeberb@... wrote:

                  > The video/DVD "The Restoration" is only 20 min. long. Why not just
                  > show that?
                  >

                  > In a message dated 11/29/2004 12:50:56 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                  > deonna.heath@... writes:
                  >
                  > Sisters,
                  > I am trying to come up with some ideas to help my beehives create a
                  > short video for the 200 year Joseph Smith commemoration this year.
                  > Does anyone have any ideas of what we could videotape and what we
                  > could
                  > include?

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Business Teacher
                  Red Hills Middle School
                  Richfield, Utah 84701
                • Amy Lowe
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2004
                    I really like "The Work and the Glory" books. I know the story line is fictional but I think it would give you a good feel about the "women in Joseph's life." It also contains refrences at the end of each chapter, so you can find a lot more info. Just a thought. Good Luck! Amy

                    Deonna Heath <deonna.heath@...> wrote:The girls need to create a video for a project, so I can't use the
                    Restoration, but if anyone has good ideas on where I can get
                    information about the "women in Joseph's life" I would appreciate it.

                    Thanks
                    Deonna
                    On Monday, November 29, 2004, at 12:57 PM, skeeberb@... wrote:

                    > The video/DVD "The Restoration" is only 20 min. long. Why not just
                    > show that?
                    >

                    > In a message dated 11/29/2004 12:50:56 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                    > deonna.heath@... writes:
                    >
                    > Sisters,
                    > I am trying to come up with some ideas to help my beehives create a
                    > short video for the 200 year Joseph Smith commemoration this year.
                    > Does anyone have any ideas of what we could videotape and what we
                    > could
                    > include?

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Business Teacher
                    Red Hills Middle School
                    Richfield, Utah 84701

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  • harrisvm1998
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 18, 2004
                      Hi sisters, I am wondering what you other sisters are doing this Sunday for a Christmas
                      lesson? I wanted to do something memorable and meaningful for the YW but nothing has
                      really seemed to click for me yet. I would love any suggestions! Thanks so much. Julie
                    • SLJ
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 18, 2004
                        I was really touched when I read through the lesson someone posted about the 4 gifts. So that is what I will be doing.for my lesson. I am going to then give them these goals books that I made for each of them and encourage them to write down goals regarding each of these "gifts" and then throughout the year write their feelings about each of these gifts and about other goals they set throughout the year. I teach Laurels which are always easier to give a spiritual lesson to.

                        Sherri in CA
                        Hi sisters, I am wondering what you other sisters are doing this Sunday for a Christmas
                        lesson? I wanted to do something memorable and meaningful for the YW but nothing has
                        really seemed to click for me yet. I would love any suggestions! Thanks so much. Julie

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        Children International
                        Give a Child the gift of Hope this Holiday season

                        · Click Here to meet a Boy
                        And Change His Life

                        · Click Here to meet a Girl
                        And Give Her Hope are

                        Learn More

                      • rcpostoian
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 4, 2006
                          Ladies-

                          I am in charge of giving the christmas lesson this year. Do you have
                          any lessons that you have given in the past. Any suggestions would be
                          greatly appreciated.
                          Thanks- Christi
                        • Lynda McClellan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 31, 2006
                            We also did the 'Women who knew Jesus' and it went really well. We each took a part and even tho I have read it through several times so I wouldnt cry..I cried but them so did several of the other women (and girls). My "Mary" was my activity counselor who is a new Mom so she even held her baby as Jesus. The girls really paid attension and there was a sweet spirit the whole time. We ended a few minutes early and even then the were quite as they visited.

                            Lynda McClellan

                          • youngwomenfaith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 30, 2008
                              I have tried to locate the book "True Spirit of Christmas" by S.
                              Michael Wilcox and have not been able to find it. Would you let me
                              know where the story you used is specifically from. Thanks
                              Tish
                            • Cherished
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 2, 2008
                                It's from a book called Celebration of Christmas: A Collection of Stories, Poems, Essays, and Traditions by Favorite LDS Authors. So, Wilcox didn't write the book... He just had "The True Spirit of Christmas" in it... I think it may have been put out by Deseret Book several years ago. HTH!

                                Hugs,
                                Cherish