Re: [lcwn] solderfest!!

  • Benjamin L. Naber
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
      if you understand what EMP is, you will see that you will NOT be able to
      "distrupt" a light bulb from working. I am going to assume that you are
      talking about inducing a voltage so large that it will burn out[break]
      the filament.

      Well. A standard incandescent bulb will light at 1,000,000 volts... if
      you have the current low enough. In the RF world, radio amateurs and
      radio experimenters used to use a regular 120V incandescent bulbs as
      dummy loads. The radios can output up to several thousand volts at small
      currents under proper impedance conditions.

      Also, understand that an incandescent bulb is a passive, resistive load.
      Under EMP circumstances, EMP will have zero effect on it. EMPs effect
      only digital circuits that handle small (anything between -15 to +15Vdc)
      voltages. The EMP will induced a large voltage on a circuit trace((s)
      that acts as antenna, induces the high voltages from the air and will
      zap the micro chips/controllers. From my understanding, this is the same
      reason how microchips/controllers are destroyed by static electricity.
      An incandescent bulb is not effected by static electricity. Matter fact,
      you can get light from one with a powerful enough static zap.

      Study a little more on the websites. Be VERY CAREFUL when experimenting
      with EMP generators. Using some of the designs on some websites, you can
      go blind, become sterile, get cancer, or just plain die. Use old, but
      working cell phones as your test subjects. They are cheap, and can be
      found in any best buy phone recycle bin for free (-:

      ~Benjamin, KB9LFZ

      On Fri, 2013-01-04 at 18:25 +0000, j5_lowe wrote:

      > ok .. my next project is a bit weird....
      >
      > I have seen my friends playing around with emp... but one thing i
      > observed was that it was not powerful enough to take out a bulb (even
      > a micro. edison. screw.). Many told me it was impossible... google
      > searches showed the same.
      >
      > So my question here is :- is it possible practically to make an emp
      > strong enough (and small enough :-) ) to distrupt a 3V m.e.s bulb?
      >
      > (I wonder if it could overheat the tungsten filament.)

    • Joe Loritz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2013
        Mechanical things like lightbulbs tend to be fairly EMP proof...

        It is possible to set of blasting caps though, so it might be possible
        if the wavelength of the emitter was a function of the filament length,
        or one of the wires feeding the blub.

        Quoting j5_lowe <j5_lowe@...>:
        > ok .. my next project is a bit weird....
        >

        > I have seen my friends playing around with emp... but one thing i
        > observed was
        > that it was not powerful enough to take out a bulb (even a micro. edison.
        > screw.). Many told me it was impossible... google searches showed
        > the same.
        >
        > So my question here is :- is it possible practically to make an emp strong
        > enough (and small enough :-) ) to distrupt a 3V m.e.s bulb?
        >
        > (I wonder if it could overheat the tungsten filament.)

      • Ewig Mannschopfer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2013
          Thanks Ben!  Although I decided to stall the project for now, I now have a decent knowledge of HV electronics at my disposal.. i guess i will study some more on the subject before I try to do some crazy thing.!!!  ( which i am gonna do soon  :-) )