1718Re: [lcwn] diy radar

  • Joe Loritz
    Jan 29, 2014
      His homebrew SAR setup uses an old garage door opener on a linear rail:

      http://www.glcharvat.com/Dr._Gregory_L._Charvat_Projects/Synthetic_Aperture_Radar_%28SAR%29.html

      I'm also playing with an old Furuno marine radar to which you can mount
      stuff to the antenna plate and still have access to the heading
      pulses.  Should be possible to utilize the receiver IF (60 MHz)  if
      you need to use different transmit frequencies.  Like making a
      long-range radar at 900 MHz and still use the X-band Furuno stuff for
      the receive and display.

      http://blockyourid.com/~gbpprorg/mil/radar/furuno/

      On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:28:40 -0500, "Benjamin L. Naber"
      <benjamin@...> wrote:
      I am very curious to learn how a small dish like that is going to be
      > rotated.
      >
      > Do you suppose they have a synchronous motor or some kind of setup with
      > a Gray coder for the software/hardware system to know what azimuth the
      > dish is pointed?
      >
      > ~Benjamin, KB9LFZ
      >

      > On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 01:46 -0600, Joe Loritz wrote:
      > > I'm working on the Greg Charvat MIT radar right now... I'll document
      > > it when it's all done, but will probably be a few months away.
      > > Gunnplexer assembly with a real oscillator/amplifier/mixer assembly to
      > > increase the range. You'll need to use seperate antennas for TX and
      > > RX for proper isolation. Use those little satellite TV dishes with a
      > > spillover plate between then.
      > > very well.. Most of the documents for that project are here:
      > > > http://blockyourid.com/~gbpprorg/mil/radar/
      >
      > Yahoo Groups Links

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic