Book festiana

  • LCRW/Small Beer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2011
      Contents
      We Go To Book Fests!
      Also: we sell ebooks
      But: we still sell more print books
      And: we expect to go on selling print books
      So: thanks for reading!

      In a couple of weeks a book Kelly and I had a ton of fun putting together (well, Kelly's opinion may differ slightly in that she had to write a story for it!) is coming out: Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories. The book has received four starred reviews, which is a heck of a lot. Wow. I think it's a great book and will be great for many readers: sf&f fans, steampunk peoples, kids, readers who want to read sf&f but don't know where to start, &c., &c. Some of the stories are going to show up online but in the meantime you can read about it here and we will be at the following bibliofests reading, signing, enjoying the heck out of it.
      http://thephoenix.com/Boston/arts/124177-oracle-engine/
      http://strangeandfascinating.com/

      BRKLYN

      On Sunday, Sept. 18, Kelly and I will be at the Brooklyn Book Fest where we will be at table #124 and both Kelly and I have panels. Come on by and say hi! Don�t quite know if we will have the secret t-shirts we had at Readercon or LCRW mugs but we have the new ish of LCRW, and books, books, glorious books!

      Sunday, September 18
      10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
      Brooklyn Borough Hall
      209 Joralemon Street
      http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org/BBF/Home#directions
      12:00 P.M. Crashing Genres. Join authors whose work defies classification: crashing the genre borders of sci-fi / fantasy and the supernatural. Cory Doctorow (For The Win and NYT best-selling Little Brother), has won the Locus and Sunburst Awards, Kelly Link, author of cult favorite stories in Pretty Monsters and Magic for Beginners and best-selling author Jewell Parker Rhodes, winner of the American Book Award, uses magical realism to examine race and memory in her New Orleans vampire trilogy Seasons, Moon, and Hurricane. Moderated by Stephanie Anderson.

      5:00 P.M. Epic Adventures. Have you ever wanted to travel to the other side of the world to experience new places, really learn about other cultures, and maybe even find your true love in the process? Join graphic novelist Sarah Glidden (How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less) and author/illustrator team Casey Scieszka and Steven Weinberg (To Timbuktu: Nine Countries, Two People, One True Story) as they take you on two powerful journeys that really show what is like to be entirely somewhere else. Moderated by Gavin Grant, co-editor of Steampunk!: An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories.

      BLTMR

      Then, next Saturday, Sept. 24, we are doing a panel at the Baltimore Book Fest where they are also looking for people who want to dress up and partake up in steampunk fun: email Emma Casale (emma@..., 410-917-7262) if you�re interested!
      Steampunk!: Clockwork, Invention, Adventure

      September 24, 2011, 6:30PM

      Location: Children�s Bookstore Stage

      Kelly Link and Gavin J. Grant lead a discussion about the Steampunk genre with Michael Kirby and Eden Unger-Bowditch. Come find out what Steampunk is all about!

      More About the Authors
      Kelly Link Steampunk!
      Gavin Grant Steampunk!
      Eden Unger Bowditch The Atomic Weight of Secrets or The Arrival of the Mysterious Men in Black
      Matthew Kirby The Clockwork Three

      BSTN

      To complete the triumvirate, Kelly and I will be doing a panel with our most excellent neighbor Holly Black at the Boston Book Festival. More on that closer to the date. I know it's free and I think it's in one of the big auditoriums in the library itself. Small Beer will have a table there that day, too.
      Saturday, October 15, Boston Book Festival, Copley Square, Boston, MA
      http://www.bostonbookfest.org/

      (Have you ever been to the Copley Sq. farmers market? The farm that supplies the fantastic Oleana and Sofra restaurants has a stand and they have looooovely food: http://www.oleanarestaurant.com)

      SHDLY

      Then we will live in a shed? No! On November 3rd we're doing a Steampunk! event at the Odyssey Bookstore in South Hadley with Cassandra Clare. We hope you can come out.

      http://www.odysseybks.com/calendar.html
      Thursday � November 3 � 7 pm
      STEAMPUNK EXTRAVAGANZA
      Cassandra Clare, Kelly Link, and Gavin Grant
      Steampunk! an Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories

      Also coming soon to the Odyssey Bookstore (and probably to the lovely cafe next door): Erin Morgenstern (9/22), Barry Moser (10/1, 11 AM!), Amitav Ghosh, Frances Moore Lapp�, Norton Juster, The Nields, and, you know, many more.

      Local! We shop local (or indie online) to keep local businesses alive. We hope you will do the same. Shop local now so that next year you'll still be able to! In the two years we were in Boston quite a few bookstores in Boston closed (as well as our video store in Northampton�I am so sad!). Let's not allow Amazon become Skynet and rule us all. Even if you don't love your local indie (or B&N, since there ain't no Borders no more), order from mine!

      We have a Small Beer shelf at Broadside Books right there in downtown Northampton so you can order pretty much any of our books and they will have it. How awesome is that? It is awesome. So much fun to wander into the store and see our books all on the shelf!

      Under the Poppy:
      http://www.broadsidebooks.com/book/9781931520706
      http://www.broadsidebooks.com/google-ebooks/under-poppy-novel

      Stories of Your Life:
      http://www.broadsidebooks.com/book/9781931520720
      http://www.broadsidebooks.com/google-ebooks/stories-your-life-and-others

      More next week. Maybe. It will be in between two road trips (well, one road and one train, yay!) so we will see, but we have news news news about books books books and what is the use of keeping it all to ourselves? What if we're hit by a bus and no one ever gets to know? Hmm. Will try and avoid that until after next week.

      Thanks for reading!