Brooklyn Book Fest., Secrets

  • LCRW/Small Beer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2010
      BBF, baby
      No lies!

      What just arrived at the office? Karen Joy Fowler's first collection this century: What I Didn't See and Other Stories. It is totally stunning and fabulous. It is mind-blowing that we get to do this and we are running around like wind up toys that never run down we are so excited by it.

      Karen is reading in California later in autumn:

      10/7, Copperfield's, Santa Rosa
      10/11, Moe's, Berkeley
      10/15, NCIBA trade show, Oakland
      10/16, SF in SF
      10/19, Capitola Book Cafe
      11/5, Vroman's, Pasadena

      and you can get the book here and now:

      Georges-Olivier Ch�teaureynaud's first collection in the English language, A Life on Paper: Stories (translated by Edward Gauvin) has received a passel of great reviews:

      �The celebrated Ch�teaureynaud, who over the course of a distinguished career has created short tales that are not exactly contes cruels but which linger on the edge of darkness and absurdity.�
      �The New York Times Book Review
      �Ch�teaureynaud is a master craftsman, encapsulating weighty themes with pith and heart. In his hands, the short story is a Gothic cathedral whittled from a wine cork.�
      �The Believer

      �Ch�teaureynaud celebrates the quiet, hidden beauties of the world and the objects or knowledge we hold tight like talismans to protect us from its losses and horrors.�
      �The Quarterly Conversation

      This Sunday, rain or shine, we will be in Brooklyn. Whoohoo! I am certainly looking forward to it. I really enjoy this one. There's a real mix of people who know us and people who don't. Love trying to match books to readers!

      Brooooklyn Book Fair site: http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org/
      Schedule: http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org/BrooklynBookFestival/events.html

      The important part: Michael and I drive down eaaarly in the morning. We go to that great sandwich place down the street and eat NYC bagels for second breakfast. (If we're lucky we'll get to the banh mi place on Atlantic Ave for lunch!). And, we drive back to Boston that night. At first Kelly and I had hoped to take Ursula down. I even booked a hotel room. Ha, said the kid. No way. She has her first cold: challenging! So there is indeed no way the 3 of us are going down and I am very happy Michael was able to step in to help out. Even though I told him I would talk about http://weightlessbooks.com all the way down. (Or did I tell him? Hope so.) Last year my sister, Fiona, was over here helping us out with Ursula. That road trip will be hard to beat!

      The actually important part: Karen Lord (Redemption in Indigo) is coming over from Barbados to be at our booth. Come by and say hello. Bring a cou cou stick to make us all laugh! Ok, maybe she is coming over for other stuff, too. Some of it is secret. Some of it isn't�she's recording an interview for later broadcast with the ever-excellent Jim Freund and his http://www.hourwolf.com/hotw.

      We will be raising a glass of something or other to toast Karen, her debut novel, and its excellent reception. You can see some reviews on our page (link below). Here's a taster:

      "Lord�s first novel is a clever, exuberant mix of Caribbean and Senegalese influences that balances riotously funny set pieces (many involving talking insects) with serious drama initiated by meddlesome supernatural beings."
      �New York Times Book Review (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/05/books/review/VanderMeer-t.html)

      On Sunday Karen will be reading with N. K. Jemisin (whose name I have sadly been misspelling as N. K. Jemison, darn it and sorry!), and Bill Evans at 2 PM at the Brooklyn Historical Society.

      Also, Karen will be reading on Friday night at McNally Jackson and Tuesday night at Greenlight with our other star debut author Julia Holmes�whose novel Meeks received a dream review in The New York Times Book Review:
      "Meeks is a wild, woolly, sly, gentle and wry first novel. . . . It�s a book whose singular vision keeps returning to me at odd moments, one of the most original and readable novels that�s come my way in a long time."

      If we have any copies of their books left after the Book Fest, we'll get Karen and Julia to sign some for readers elsewhere. If you want to order ahead of time for personalization, now is the time!

      Sept. 10: Reading with Julia Holmes
      McNally Jackson Books, 52 Prince Street, New York, NY
      Sept. 12: Karen reads at the Brooklyn Book Festival and signs books at the Small Beer Press table.
      Brooklyn Borough Hall, 209 Joralemon Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201

      Sept. 14: Reading with Julia Holmes (Meeks)
      Greenlight Bookstore, 686 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, N

      Both Karen's book and Julia's have sold out their initial print runs. Yay!

      Excerpts? Samples? Why, yes!

      Redemption in Indigo

      Besides the Book Fest we uploaded excerpts and some ebooks of LCRW to Scribd. Read ahead of our pub schedule here!

      http://www.scribd.com/Small Beer Press

      Shouldn't we update this newsletter to Constant Contact or something? Um. Sure. Later.

      Here's a great place to get Old Men in Love: John Tunnock's Posthumous Papers by Alasdair Gray

      Why? Because of Gerry's great review!

      There's an awesome art book of Gray's, er yes, art coming out later this year. It is a must have. Publishing this book was a dream come true. Not getting any trade reviews was a bit unexpected though. Still hoping to sell enough to put another of his books out. You never know!

      We chunter on, announce things, let secrets slip, and so on here: http://www.facebook.com/smallbeerpress

      Secrets: we have a Geoff Ryman collection of stories coming out in November. Surprise! It is a huge and awesome book�SF with a human face as Geoff called it.

      Publishers Weekly was again first off the blocks with their take on Kathe Koja�s huge sexy historical novel, Under the Poppy:
      �The latest from Koja (Skin) is a page turner with riveting language and close attention to sensory detail. Set in late 19th-century Brussels, the
      story follows the adventures of puppeteer Istvan and brothel owner Rupert who bond as friends and lovers. The first half of the novel is set at
      Rupert�s brothel, Under the Poppy, a haven for bawdy puppet shows and loose women. With war in the air, the brothel is forced to house soldiers led by a corrupt general. A mysterious assault on Rupert leads to more violence and an exodus of prostitutes from the establishment. Istvan and Rupert, with one of the former working girls, who morphs into a theater owner and puppeteer, leave as well and arrive in a new town, where they cavort with a family of aristocrats that includes Isobel, who falls for Rupert (as does her young brother, Benjamin, the family heir). Koja�s style is unconventional, resulting in a melodrama with deep insights into character and a murky plot balanced with prose as theatrical as the world it portrays.(Oct.)�

      Kelly just finished her first story in a while, "The Summer People," which will come out in our huge excellent YA Steampunk! anthology next year from Candlewick.

      In other Kelly news we got fabulouuuus copies of a book of hers from Brazil. Will post pics online. Also, "Lull" appears in Tim Pratt's devilish new anthology, Sympathy for the Devil

      Also, "The Wrong Grave" appears in John Joseph Adams's huge new blockbuster The Living Dead 2.

      We love the indie bookshops�and we certainly appreciate anyone who clicks through and gives us the kickback from the excellent peeps at Powells.com.

      Speaking of that Steampunk anthology, Holly Black has a story in it, too! We'll put the whole table of contents up online soon. In the meantime, Holly is on tour next week in Texas! and we ganked this whole cloth from Ms. Black�s lj and posted it on our site. So here it is in case you're in that area:
      melissa_writing, Kelley Armstrong and Alyson Noel kindly asked me along for a couple of stops on their multi-author, multi-city Smart Chicks Kick It tour. Where I�m going to be is listed below, but look here for the full schedule of everyone and everywhere.

      September 13th, 2010 7 PM @ BOOKPEOPLE, Austin, TX
      Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr, Alyson Noel, Holly Black, Rachel Caine, & Cassandra Clare

      September 14th, 2010 7 PM @ B&N THE WOODLANDS, Houston, TX
      Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr, Alyson Noel, Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Kami Garcia & Rachel Vincent

      September 15th, 2010 7PM. Off-site location TBD. Hosted by BLUE WILLOW, Houston, TX
      Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr, Alyson Noel, Holly Black, Sarah Rees Brennan, Margaret Stohl & Cassandra Clare

      September 16th, 2010 6 PM Off-site location TBD. Hosted by LEMURIA BOOKS, Jackson, MS
      Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr, Alyson Noel, Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Jessica Verday & Sarah Rees Brennan

      September 17th, 2010 7PM @ Scottsdale Civic Library Auditorium, hosted by POISONED PEN Phoenix, AZ
      Melissa Marr, Alyson Noel, Kelley Armstrong, Holly Black, Sarah Rees Brennan, Kimberly Derting, and Becca Fitzpatrick

      Our Working Writer's Daily Planner 2011 is at the printer�yes, a printer here in the USA. We print all our books in the USA figuring that if people here have decent jobs they might have cash to buy stuff. Every dollar is a political act.

      The ebook edition is available now though:

      Which makes this a good place to mention Weightless Books, our indie press ebook store. We've brought in some very interesting stuff

      Bestseller Ginn Hale (Wicked Gentlemen, Feral Machines) and more:

      Books and journals only $2.99!

      Blake Butler, Amelia Gray, more:

      And us!

      What else can I let slip? We have a new Joan Aiken collection coming, The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories. It's a great, spooky, scary, funny book. Such such fun. All the stories are uncollected (i.e. very hard to find!), some are unpublished, and two were published under a pseudonym.

      Vincent McCaffrey sent in Hound 2: A Slepying Hound to Wake which is a leap above Hound, and that was a pretty good book!

      We just sent contracts to two writers and a third is about to go out. Whoot!

      Annnnnnnnnnnd, on Monday we'll get some earrrly galleys for our new middle grade novel from Lydia Millet, The Fires Beneath the Sea. Cape Cod, magic, much more!

      Peace in our time!

      Thanks for reading!

      New: Alasdair Gray � Karen Lord � Georges-Olivier Ch�teaureynaud � Karen Joy Fowler � More? Mais oui.

      smallbeerpress.com | Facebook | 2010 Catalog | weightlessbooks.com

      Small Beer Press
      150 Pleasant St., #306,
      Easthampton, MA 01027