Welcome to August!

  • LCRW/Small Beer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2010
      Geography We have set up some readings.
      P.E. Lift those boxes! Ship those books! Run up those stairs!

      Where? Here:

      If only we had some kind of device which would tell us the time. Or the date. Because, surely, if we had something like that, days, weeks, and months would not creep silently by us? August? Says who? Good lord. Right, that's it. Time for a cup of tea.

      [[[[ Dum de dum. Dum de dee. Dum de dum. Watching the kettle boil. Making tea. Tea is steeping. Tea is ready! Happiness all round.]]]]

      We hope this finds you well. We are sweltering in Boston. It has been so hot that the "s" dropped off and we were weltering, which has the free dictionary says is

      1. To wallow, roll, or toss about, as in mud or high seas.
      2. To lie soaked in a liquid.
      3. To roll and surge, as the sea.

      We have been more 2. than 1. or 3. and that liquid is
      a) good day: iced mugicha/barley tea!
      b) ok day: beer! hot tea!* Irn Bru!
      c) bad day: Amoxicillin. Pepto. Tears. Rain. Aw, how sad.
      * Yes. Even on weltering sweltering meltering days.

      Fortunately a + b >>> c meaning there are many more beer and tea days than rainy days. (Boston monsoons we abjure you!)

      Besides, what we really do is hide in the heat of the day and head to the park in the evening. Parks: they're like gardens where someone else does all the work! Of course, someone else keeps stealing our lettuces, but we're getting back at them by eating their blueberries.

      Got extra blueberries from that picking trip? Use them in these most excellent oatmeal pancakes (although you should replace the cinnamon with vanilla): http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=162795 Wowee tastee.

      We also publish books. And, sometimes, a zine. Not going to talk about the zine here, though. Next year is soon enough. After all, it will be 15 years since we began�although that can't be right as we just celebrated 10 years a year or two ago. Can't be four years ago. Don't be silly.

      Best reaction to one of our books recently was Alan Good's on Bookslut:
      "A Life on Paper is fantastic in both meanings: it�s fantastic, as in strange, unreal, weird, imaginary; and it�s fantastic, as in absolutely fucking awesome. People will call A Life on Paper magical realism. A few will call it irrealism. I don�t care what you call it. I just want you to read it."

      So far this year we have published authors from France, Massachusetts, Scotland, Brooklyn, and Barbados.
      Later this year we will publish authors from California, Michigan, England, and Seattle.
      So far this year we have published 2 short story collections, two debut novels, and the self-declared last novel of a grand old man!
      Later this year we will publish two short story collections�both the first of this decade!�and reprint another, one big sexy novel, and a desktop planner.
      So far this year we have published�wait, this is boring now.

      But, it is cool to have published: two debut novels, a debut collection, to reprint another debut collection, books from France and Barbados, an Alasdair Gray novel (who knew that such a dream could come true!), and so on. In other words we are publishing perhaps ten books this year (that includes a handy dandy desktop planner which will include news about next year's books). Ten!

      We think right now (late July, 2010) we have published 36 books. This does not include multiple editions of the same title (i.e. we published the following books in hardcover and trade paperback: Perfect Circle, Trash Sex Magic, Mothers & Other Monsters, The Baum Plan for Financial Independence, and The Ant King and Other Stories). Nor does it, obviously, count ebook editions. Nor does it include chapbooks (ah, therein lies a tale. We have 1 more to do soon!).
      So, 36 books, and by January: 42. We're working on next year's books, too. Suppose we will hit 50 then and that will be our 10 year anniversary of making books. We will throw a party involving us mailing you a printed object similar to a book. Email us if you think you would like to know what we are publishing. Some of it will be surprising. Some of it will make you break down the walls, ignite the boosters, and flee this solar system. No, really. But we know which people those books will do that to, so we will not tell them. (It's not you, btw, it's your neighbor.)
      And, we have a book which is probably coming in 2012. And it is crazy. Not crazy enough to end the world, we think, but: totally nuts. It will be expensive and you will be able to pay massive quantities of cash to fly here and pick up your own copy. Or, we can mail it to you or you can pick the trade edition up at your local bookshop. But really you will be amazed at how expensive the expensive edition will be.
      A few things about future books: we have more Big Mouth House books coming�including a series set in Cape Cod by none other than Pulitzer Prize finalist (how's that for a stamp of approval?) Lydia Millet! Owee, can't wait until that gets out there. There are mysteries�the second Hound is even better than the first. Short stories. Could there be another Planner...? How smart you are!
      And last month, 2 new books dropped in our lap. Good lord were we happy. (The answer here is yes.)

      [[[[[[Books That Weigh Nothing and For Which the Wait Is Zero]]]]]]]

      Ebooks! We have an ebook store for those who like that sort of thing. It has all the books of ours we have ebook rights to (most of them), as well as some LCRWs�more get added as time passes.
      But it's way more than just our ebook store: it's a one-stop center for indie press ebooks! So far we have ebooks from a couple of fantastic presses, Blind Eye Books and Featherproof Books, and within a couple of weeks we will be adding the Fairy Tale Review (the journal and the books)�at prices that will make your finger burn across your keyboard to buy them in case they are a mistake. (They might be, we're still learning!) After Fairy Tale there are more presses and books clamoring at the gates: ha, crazy fun.
      We're still picking our way through the shattered LCD screens of a million busted ebook reader projects and websites so at the moment most of our titles are available in PDF to start with and then we add more formats as titles become popular. All the Blind Eye Books are available as epub, mobi, and lit files. Featherproof Books, though, are crazy beautifully designed so are PDF only for the nonce. Some Small Beer and Big Mouth House books are available in multiple formats.
      Prices range from $2.99 - $9.95 or so.
      And watch this space in the months to come for a huge serial novel which we think will be a barnstorming web event. We did a trial run with some serial fiction (Astrid Amara's The Archer's Heart) this spring and the reaction was awesome.
      Fun, indie books are yours here:
      http://weightlessbooks.com | http://blindeyebooks.com | http://www.featherproof.com

      [[[[[ Fall 2011? We foresee Steampunk!]]]]
      Oh, that exclamation point. It's so tempting, just sitting there on the keyboard, saying, "Go on! How's anyone to know how enthusiastic you are?"
      "Um, by the tenor of the writing?"
      "No! Silly! It's me, me me! The Right Honorably Dishonored Exclamation Mark!"
      "I'm tired."
      "Ha! You'll get aeons of sleep when you're dead! In fact, drop dead! I can write this newsletter! Look! Books! Books!! Books!!!"
      "Actually, that's not bad. Mind if I use it?"

      Ok, and, yes, that exclamation mark may yet survive into the title of the anthology Kelly Link and Gavin Grant are editing for Candlewick. We have stories from M.T. Anderson, Libba Bray, Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, Cory Doctorow, Kelly, Elizabeth Knox, Garth Nix, Delia Sherman, Ysabeau Wilce, and, yes, others. It is awesome to open up email and get these stories and by the time it's a book it should be about two tons of fun. Steampunk just keeps going, getting broader and deeper as more people try it, and we can't wait to get this book out. But, will have to wait. Oh well.

      [[[[[[Books. ! ]]]]]]

      Books? Books! See far up above here about categories. See below for titles and reactions. Lots of libraries and lots of indie bookshops carry our books (of course, so does our website: http://smallbeerpress.com/shopping). We are in the business of turning art into commerce. We publish a few good books every season and we hope that you will enjoy some of them.

      We just published this fabby debut novel which has had an awesome response. Karen will be over from Barbados in September to be at the Brooklyn Book Festival and to read with Julia Holmes (see below) at Greenlight and Word in Brooklyn. This is one fun book:

      Karen Lord, Redemption in Indigo

      Read the intro + Chapter 1: http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/07/preview-redemption-in-indigo-by-karen-lord

      "Full of sharp insights and humorous asides ("I know your complaint already. You are saying, how do two grown men begin to see talking spiders after only three glasses of spice spirit?"), "Redemption" extends the Caribbean Island storyteller's art into the 21st century and hopefully, beyond."
      �Nisi Shawl, Seattle Times
      Here's one we put out in a crazy 2-color hardcover edition with corrections and emendations by the author from the British hardcover and paperback. It's a multiply framed novel of stories of love, power, and the love of power.

      Alasdair Gray, Old Men in Love: John Tunnock's Posthumous Papers

      "God bless visionary eccentrics. . . . In today's case, I am lavishing thanks not only for the existence of Alasdair Gray, our present-day reigning literary eccentric, but also for his marvelous invention, John Tunnock: crabby and crabbed, quintessentially Scottish misanthrope, unsung and deceased novelist, surname-sharer with a teacake, "hero," if I may be so bold, of Old Men in Love."
      �Paul Di Filippo, Barnes and Noble Review

      "Like the best of Gray's work, Old Men in Love is funny and profane, but with a shuddering anger to the politics."
      �Jessa Crispin, NPR

      Ted Chiang, Stories of Your Life and Others (coming in October)

      Soooo happy that this book will be back in print! Also, Ted has a new book, a novella, The Life Cycle of Software Objects, coming soon from Subterranean Press.

      "Shining, haunting, mind-blowing tales . . . this collection is a pure marvel. Chiang is so exhilarating so original so stylish he just leaves you speechless. I always suggest a person read at least 52 books a year for proper mental functioning but if you only have time for one, be at peace: you found it."
      �Junot D�az

      Karen Joy Fowler, What I Didn't See and Other Stories (coming in September�in fact, it's at the printer!)

      One of the biggest books of the year! Weird and great cover by Erica Harris. A dozen heartbreaking mind melting stories from Karen, including one new story, two Nebula winners and "The Pelican Bar" (originally published in Eclipse 3) which just won the Shirley Jackson Award for short story.

      Karen will be reading in California (and maybe elsewhere):
      Oct. 7, 7PM, Copperfield's in Santa Rosa, CA
      Oct. 11, 7PM, Moe's in Berkeley, CA
      Oct. 14-16, NCIBA trade show, Oakland Convention Center and City Center Marriott, CA
      Nov. 5, 7PM, Vroman's, Pasadena, CA

      Julia Holmes, Meeks, a novel

      �The satire here has plenty of bite, but instead of winking at the reader, Holmes evokes her world with luminous prose.�
      �Los Angeles Times

      Julia is reading all over the place: Portland, OR, Boston, MA (see you there?), New York, NY, and more. She sold out at Word in Brooklyn, please go see her and make it happen all around the country!

      And you can get a taste of that cake here (it'll make sense if you read it, honest):

      Kathe Koja, Under the Poppy (coming October 22)

      This is a huge, sexy historical novel in two parts. The first is set in a Victorian-era brothel, the second in high society. There's a stage show coming February 2011. Decca, runs a Victorian brothel, Under the Poppy, and is in love with co-owner Rupert, who, in turn, is in love with Decca�s brother, Istvan. When Istvan appears, louche puppet troupe in tow, their desires play out against a backdrop of approaching war and the townsmen seek refuge watching the girls of the Poppy cavort onstage with Istvan�s naughty puppets�.
      �This book made me drunk. Koja�s language is at its poetic best and the epic drama had me digging my nails into my palms.�
      �Cory Doctorow (Little Brother)

      Kathe is reading at KGB Bar in NYC on Nov. 17 and is doing Detroit-area events as well. Check out the calendar! Preorder and help us pay the printer!

      A Working Writer's Daily Planner 2011: Your Year in Writing
      The return of our popular planner�now with more LCRW-reader photos! We put out a call for pics and received some great ideas. Look for this in September.

      If you or your writing group/college/company/writing school/etc., would like multiple copies: email us! We can give you a break on prices!
      For everyone else, there are multiple-copy discounts available here:

      Georges-Olivier Ch�teaureynaud, A Life on Paper: Stories

      The first book in English from an awesome French writer. What is not to love? If this goes well, there are novels novels novels TK. Fingers crossed!

      �Ch�teaureynaud�s dance steps are so nimble that he seems, without effort, to show us what is best in others.�
      �Brooklyn Rail

      "Both classic and modern, strange and simple, Ch�teaureynaud�s stories remind not only of Vonnegut but of Gogol and Kafka. What�s endearing about the stories is the amount of tenderness running through them. Even in stories about bizarre cruelty (the title story tells of a father who had his daughter photographed a dozen times a day for her entire life), affection provides the glue."
      �Time Out Chicago

      Holly Black, The Poison Eaters and Other Stories
      25% off!

      Fantastic book of short stories by the author of the groundbreaking, genre-forming novels Tithe and White Cat. Illustrated by all-round artistic genius Theo Black.
      Read about the glamour (or lack of it) of vampires: http://www.bscreview.com/2010/01/the-coldest-girl-in-coldtown-by-holly-black-short-story/

      * �Black�s first story collection assures her place as a modern fantasy master�. Sly humor, vivid characters, each word perfectly chosen: These stories deserve reading again and again.�
      �Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

      We have new books!
      �more Joan Aiken! A whole book of uncollected and unpublished stories. A treasure trove! The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories, April 2011
      �more McCaffrey: the second Hound novel, pick up Hound in pb next year or cheap now! July 2011
      �Lydia Millet: a series of serious fantastic stories for readers of all ages!
      �An all translated, guest-edited issue of LCRW of Mexican science fiction and fantasy! http://smallbeerpress.com/lcrw/
      �so much more!

      Where? Oh, right over there:

      That's it for today�and maybe the whole month! One last photo: Gavin and a somewhat serious-looking Ursula at the Brookline Booksmith:

      Thanks again for reading!

      Small Beer Press
      150 Pleasant St., #306,
      Easthampton, MA 01027