Sale (20% to Obama) and MFB Free Download

  • Small Beer Press / LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hello there shiny happy peoples,

      2 big things you may have seen on our bloggity device. Or on Kelly's
      new site, http://www.prettymonsters.net Anyway, this is a fun, mad,
      great fun day because we're sending out another free book and having
      a sale�and 20% of the proceeds will be donated to Obama! Change the
      world, honeybunnies! (Um, too much Maya Gold? Yes!)

      1. the sale
      2. the download

      1. Short version: http://lcrw.net/special.htm

      Longer version:
      * Celebrate, come on! We are celebrating many things by having a
      sale.
      * 20% of the proceeds of this sale will be donated to Barack
      Obama's campaign for President of the United States of America.
      * Next month in the USA we get to show the world that the
      mistakes of the last eight long years will not be repeated. If you
      really want to buy these books but don't want to donate to Obama, we
      won't insist. But: we hope you will donate! And vote.
      * Everything on this page is at least 25% off. Some of it is 60%
      off. Reason enough to celebrate!
      * We are publishing our first book for readers of all ages: Joan
      Aiken's The Serial Garden and we want to make sure that the kid in
      your life (or you) gets it for the holidays.
      * We just got our tax bill and apparently we have to bail the
      government out all by ourselves.
      * Hallowe'en is coming and we need to move some books out of the
      haunted warehouse.
      * Suggestions welcome!

      What can you do: Buy every book we've published (including the two
      still at the printer): $249! (You just gave $50 to Obama!)
      Or, just the books published this year: $63 (9x7/5 = uh, carry the 1,
      erm, $12.60 to Obama! We'll call it $13.)

      Buy some books: change the world.
      http://lcrw.net/special.htm

      2. Short version: http://lcrw.net/cc

      Longer version:
      To celebrate the publication of Kelly's new collection, Pretty
      Monsters*, most of Kelly's previous collection Magic for Beginners is
      now available as a free download in various completely open formats
      with no Digital Rights Management (DRM) strings attached. It is
      licensed under a Creative Commons (Attribution-NonCommercial-
      ShareAlike 3.0) license allowing readers to share the stories with
      friends and generally have at them in any noncommercial manner. The
      book is provided below in these formats: Text file, HTML, rtf, and lo-
      res PDF.

      Kelly Link and Small Beer Press think that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
      (USA) and HarperPerennial (UK) are completely awesome for being
      willing to participate in making these stories available online. Due
      to contractual obligations, "The Faery Handbag" and "Magic for
      Beginners" are not included in this download.

      We encourage any and all conversions into other formats. We'll
      happily host, credit, and add your conversion to the file list below.
      Please abide by these few rules for file-conversions:

      * Send us a link to the reader for your conversion so that we
      can include it on the downloads page.
      * No DRM. We are not interested in this. If your format of
      choice has a means of restricting copying, use or playback, please do
      not use it.
      * If the book has been converted to your format of choice but
      the conversion doesn't suit you, go ahead and reconvert it for your
      own use and distribution. We will host the first and only the first
      version as the few formats we have provided are pretty much all we
      know anything about. And we don't know that much about those.
      * Enjoy!

      Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and HarperPerennial asked that we also
      provide links easy links to buy Magic for Beginners. So, here we go:

      US hardcover:
      �Signed: http://lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm#mfb
      �Powells: http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/partner?
      partner_id=26490&cgi=product&isbn=1931520151
      �local bookshop: http://www.indiebound.org/aff/beer?product=1931520151

      US paperback:
      �Signed: http://lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm#mfb
      �Powells: http://www.powells.com/biblio?
      PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=0156031876
      �local bookshop: http://www.indiebound.com/product/info.jsp?
      affiliateId=beer&isbn=0156031876
      �Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0156031876/
      theendicotstudio:

      UK edition:
      �Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Beginners-Kelly-Link/dp/
      000724200X/
      �John Smith: http://www.jscampus.co.uk/shop/product_display.asp?
      mscssid=35BW2TV92M549MU6VWHRFBUDWR3J72T2&ProductID=9780007242009&BranchI
      D=0
      �Waterstones: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/
      displayProductDetails.do?sku=5567773

      * Pretty Monsters comes out today! We hope your local bookshop will
      carry it!
      �Powells: http://www.powells.com/biblio?
      PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9780670010905
      �Order a signed copy from us and receive tattoos, stickers, and
      similar items of interest.
      http://lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm#pm

      More Small Beer Press CC-licensed downloads:
      http://lcrw.net/cc/index.htm

      That one thing again:
      http://lcrw.net/special.htm

      Happy Autumn!