A New LCRW, or...

  • Small Beer Press / LCRW
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2007
      A New LCRW, or, The Dangerous History for Boys and Girls of a Secret
      Guide for Men and Women to the Complete Historiography for Dogs and
      Cats of the Mind-Blowing Impossibilities of the Ironed Shirts and
      Blouses and Multiple Formats of LCRW

      Confusion
      Reading by light that is how old?
      LCRW in many ways
      less and less and a secret
      Recent Reads
      Margaret on Holidays
      Address

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Welcome to the first snowy day of the season and maybe the start of
      Fimbulwinter?

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Confusion

      Quick. Stop. Quick! Stop. Oh, now we've confused ourselves and
      forgotten what all this hullaballula was for. Stop, start. Um.

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      The Light

      Maybe you don't believe LCRW has reached issue 21? It only took about
      10.75 years. Which is more than enough time to put the kettle on and
      find a comfy seat and be ready for when this issue drops in the mailbox.
      Also, in Martian, LCRW is only 5 years old. Or 17 Venusian years.
      Or, and the staples are starting to ache here, 45 Mercurian years old.
      All of this was discovered by our newly young editorial staff
      (counting in Martian years) with the handy-dandy Martian Birthday
      Calculator built by LCRW 21 contributor Brian Conn. (Let's make it a
      meme and crash his site!)
      It is unlikely you will reach your first Plutonian birthday. Oh well.
      http://www.brianconn.net/mbc.php

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      There is News

      The new issue of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, aka LCRW, this
      being Number, or No., 21, has gone out into the world.
      There are some stunning stories in this one. We know that Karen Joy
      Fowler's story from Robot No.20 (http://lcrw.net/fictionplus/
      fowlerlastworders.htm) is still finding readers but if you want your
      mind blown (and, really, why else are we here?) read Alice Sola Kim's
      "The Night and Day War" in LCRW 21.

      The Unexpected Angle

      There are more ways than you might expect, Horatio old chum, to
      procure yourself a copy of this zine. We have gone a little format
      crazed around the Pioneer Valley recently. We have not made LCRW art
      projects out of leaves and old bike tires (yet, damn snow), but we
      have made this issue of the zine available in Formats As Yet Not Seen
      by LCRW readers. Or indeed, by Any.

      The usual version, saddle-stitched, 60 pages (half-legal [8/5" x
      7"]), black and white, has been mailed to subscribers, reviewers, and
      stores and is (quick!) available here:
      http://lcrw.net/issues/lcrw21.htm
      http://lcrw.net/lcrw/index.htm
      http://lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm#zines

      But, (stop!) that isn't all.

      There are two other formats available.

      1) For the first time ever (unless we count #13: http://lcrw.net/
      issues/lcrw13.htm) you can now buy LCRW as a perfectbound paperback.
      Talk about a historical document! And, you can pay $10 instead of $5!

      Here are the specs:
      Perfect binding, 144 pages, 5.83" x 8.26", 60# weight paper, still
      black and white, white exterior paper (100# weight), full-color
      exterior ink. (We have this beautiful cover by Tatsuro Kiuchi so
      we're not taking much advantage of the color option. Maybe next time
      -- if we ever do this again.)
      http://www.lulu.com/content/1466042

      And if you like the look of that but would rather have it as an
      ebook, that's available too -- you good-looking early-adopting Kindle-
      user, you!
      We had some trouble actually finding the download option on Lulu but
      we're confident you can:
      http://www.lulu.com/sbp

      2) Or, buy it on Fictionwise:
      http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook52982.htm

      Some of our books have done really well on Fictionwise.com so from
      now on we'll add them whenever we can (we may even go back and try
      and add older books, you never know).
      Once we have a couple of issues of LCRW up there you'll be able to
      subscribe to the electronic edition which will make it easier to keep
      up with from abroad. We're not sure if the price will stay the same
      or not. Maybe. Perhaps.

      And while futzing about Fictionwise, we noticed they can zap you a
      copy of The Best of LCRW:
      http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook49685.htm

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Also, you can verry easily subscribe to the original edition of LCRW
      here:

      We have been asked if buyers have to use Paypal to get LCRW. The
      answer is: No. You can send us cash or checks using this page:
      http://lcrw.net/smallbeer/ordersheet.htm

      Also, we have purchased zines and other things through our Paypal
      account but without using Paypal -- it draws directly from the bank.
      Exciting!

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Places you can see us and the books: The Washington Post Holiday Book
      insert. Ooh! Venus! Bitch! Conjunctions! F&SF! (Check the
      classifieds!) Jubilat! AWP in NYC (the book fair is open to the
      public on Saturday, Feb. 2, drop by if you can, it'll be huge),
      Harvard/Vericon, Jan 25 - 27, (http://www.vericon.org).

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Most fun: review Laurie J. Marks' Water Logic on your blog, in your
      national magazine, or wherever and we will send you some tea!
      http://lcrw.net/marks/
      http://lcrw.net/wordpress/?p=218
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9781931520232

      This is one of the best big fantasy series we've read and it's the
      sort we want more of. It's political, engrossing, epic, and intimate.
      Tor published the first two volumes in the series and we are very
      proud to see the series continued. Can't wait for #4.

      Fire Logic
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9780812566536
      Earth Logic
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9780765348388

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Ok. So, Stephen King (great writer and no doubt a lovely guy) and
      some others (do they read A Public Space? Strange Horizons?) think
      that the short story is up the creek. We beg to differ.
      We recommend that anyone who feels the story is D.E.A.D. give The
      Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet a shot. This anthology has
      a ton of new writers who are quite happy to stretch the format, remix
      it, go with the historical view, or just ignore everything that's
      come before.
      http://lcrw.net/lcrw/thebestof.htm
      http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/partner?
      partner_id=26490&cgi=product&isbn=0345499131

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      John Kessel's new collection is going to the galley printer so will
      be zooming out to the reviewers of the world in a couple of weeks.
      We're printing a short hardcover run and the usual good amount of
      paperbacks (enough for John to upgrade his jetpack) so if you want a
      hardcover, maybe go reserve one here:
      http://lcrw.net/lcrw/preorder.htm

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Recent Reading:

      We are a little buried in Year's Best reading but here are a few
      things from the other stacks.

      Doug Lain and M.K. Hobson have (re)started Diet Soap: http://
      www.dietsoap.org/
      Microcosm have a new issue of Doris: http://
      www.microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/zines/2079/
      Very much worth ordering (for $1!) is the You Can Work Any 100 Hours
      Per Week You Want (In Your Underwear)!! Zine
      http://www.microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/zines/1702/
      Whores of Mensa #2 by Ellen Lindner, Mardou, & Jeremy Dennis
      http://usscatastrophe.com/store/mensa.html
      Alex Holden's Magic Hour: http://poopsheet.ecrater.com/category.php?
      cid=206926
      Sarah Becan's Monkeynauts (and a link to her site): http://
      usscatastrophe.com/store/monkeynauts.html

      Alex Robinson's Lower Regions is something completely unexpected and
      brilliant from one of our fave comic book writers -- if you haven't
      read Box Office Poison put this on your reading list now:
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9781891830198

      Lower Regions is a wordless comic inspired by Dungeons & Dragons and
      just hilarious -- and, of course, is more than that:
      http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.php?type=12&title=596

      Also, Top Shelf (like everyone else in the world!) is having a
      seasonal sale -- free samplers abound:
      http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.php?section=specialdeals
      http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/
      http://payseurandschmidt.com/catalog.shtml
      https://www.bonnydoonvineyard.com/ (apparently -- horrid non-
      navigable (but pretty...) Flash site)

      qqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqq

      At last The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier is
      out (we found it at Newbury Comics http://www.newburycomics.com) from
      Alan Moore and compatriots. Physically it's a thing of wonder --
      inserts, different paper stocks and page designs for different
      sections (there are some weird long lines that aren't the easiest
      thing in the world to read) and 3D glasses.
      Moore's obsessions kind of get the better of the story but if you
      believe the getting there is the more interesting part, you'll love it.
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9781401203061

      qqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqq

      A couple of months ago we were Very Happy to receive an advance copy
      of Eric Felten's How's Your Drink?: Cocktails, Culture, and the Art
      of Drinking Well.
      This is a book we've been waiting years for! Felten writes a column
      about drinks (and drinking, famous and infamous old drunks, &c.) in
      the Wall Street Journal and it's worth buying the paper just for it.
      We've tried more than a few of the cocktails in this book, but the
      real pleasure is in Felten's writing. He goes for the stories behind
      the drinks, tracks down cocktail inventors, and makes drinking fun
      instead of a challenge. Buy two: one to read and one you don't mind
      getting splashed with simple syrup.
      http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=26490&cgi=product&isbn=9781572840898

      qqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqq qqqqqqqqq

      More music than books: certain people would like to point you to the
      new Magnetic Fields album coming in January and a tour:
      http://houseoftomorrow.com/archives/000057.php
      http://www.houseoftomorrow.com/calendar.php

      Also with the new album (missed the tour, darn it) are the Squirrel
      Nut Zippers. Hope it's as fun as it used to be:
      http://www.snzippers.com

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      less and less and less -- in dollars

      Yes, the dollar is in the whole. Time we all moved to Canada,
      Australia (maybe we will just stay there in Jan. '09 when we go to
      teach Clarion South), Europe, Japan, Somewhere.

      Anyway, secret sale for readers anywhere in this world -- as long as
      you use the shipping button:
      http://lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm#shipping

      We recommend that readers on other worlds buy our books on Fictionwise.

      1) order any two books by December 20, 2007.
      2) tell us in the comment field which other title (book, zine,
      chapbook @ the same price or less) you would like Free.
      3) we mail them to you.
      4) we are all happy.

      And: due to the snow and the upcoming KGB Reading (Matt Cheney!) and
      this Thanksgiving holiday day thing we may be a bit slow but we will
      Work Hard to Send Out Your Stuff ASAP.
      Remember books are shipped Media Mail (which will get slower as the
      holidays approach) unless you upgrade to Priority Mail

      http://lcrw.net/lcrw/shopping3.htm

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Lastly: if you are living in the decadent west and have decided you
      have too many tchotchkes (although can one ever have enough books?)
      please consider gifts in your name instead of another crappy piece of
      made-by-slaves plastic crap:
      http://www.heifer.org
      http://www.pih.org
      http://www.habitat.org
      http://www.amnesty.org

      For one more week you can get one of these:
      http://www.laptopgiving.org

      or try shopping somewhere like this: http://veganstore.com

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      Our interns have been busy recently. You can follow Michael's
      Literary Beer (and Cider) progress here: http://lcrw.net/wordpress/?
      cat=44

      And here's something from our other intern, Margaret Kinney:

      It is holiday time. People will be telling you that you, that we,
      have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas. They may mean Jesus, or
      pure giving or love, or something vague like that. Nowadays, they
      will also be telling you that, by forgetting this meaning and
      engaging instead in an orgy of materialism, you are destroying the
      environment and contributing to our wasteful, consumerist culture.
      But more people will be telling you that Christmas is a time for
      giving, abundant giving, and that you need to come to their store and
      spend, spend, spend on whatever it is that will assuredly make you
      and everyone you love so happy. And I believe them. And so do you.
      And we will buy things and wrap them in wasteful, shiny papers, and
      set them in heaps until we unwrap them together and glow with
      happiness just like the ads promised. Those naysayers above offer
      various reasons for this; we are sinful, greedy, taken in by modern
      temptations, we are shortsighted, our culture is irredeemably
      materialistic. Yes, probably. But maybe there is something else.
      Evolutionary psychology is a relatively recent and still not widely
      accepted branch of study. It holds that evolutionary pressures have
      shaped our minds as well as our bodies, which doesn�t seem too
      controversial by itself. But it becomes offensive to many of those
      who have heard of it at all, when it intrudes too far into the mind
      and explains away a rather stunning array of behavior. Mind-body
      split, Descartes and all that. In any case, the basis of much of our
      human behavior, according to the theory, is reciprocal altruism, the
      basis of that kin selection. The latter meaning you will help those
      who share your genes, even at great personal expense, the former that
      you will help non-relatives with the expectation that they will pay
      you back eventually. Thus love is really just concern for your genes,
      acts of love really acts on their behalf. The mother sacrificing
      herself for kids who share half her genes, etc. Altruism is disguised
      self-interest. And so on. It�s all very complicated. Many seemingly
      ephemeral aspects of human nature can be elucidated by this theory.
      But people are resistant to it, sometimes hugely. An anthropologist
      once attempted to refute the whole of it by telling me about her
      friend who said he secretly loved his adopted child more than his
      biological one. Anthropologists generally abhor evolutionary
      psychology, I think, because it takes the emphasis off of cultural
      explanations. Culture being what they study. Others simply shy away
      from such concrete explanation for sacred, special phenomena like
      love. Doubtless culture and consciousness have a huge effect on every
      aspect of our behavior, and mitigate many instincts. But it seems
      extreme to deny any non-cultural explanations, or even to deny a
      large role to the millions of years of shaping that our brains have
      undergone.
      So maybe it�s not nonsense, and maybe not really that offensive. For
      example, Christmas. Sure it�s largely a cultural product, dependent
      on tradition and our modern consumerism. And Christmas feelings are
      far from scheming. But part of the reason that the whole Christmas
      ritual, in its modern, not terribly Jesus-centric way, remains so
      powerfully satisfying and alluring, may be that it appeals to a deep-
      seated instinct in us. What is it, really, after all, but a very
      pure, artificial enactment of kin selection and reciprocal altruism?
      I give you a gift, you give me one, we are beholden to each other.
      The more we give the better, the more beholden. We are connected. In
      one of the most basic human ways. Yes? Why shouldn�t our lizard
      brains be thinking such things, even as our consciousnesses are taken
      up by tingly satisfaction and fellow-feeling? Maybe, the more we
      understand this aspect of our feelings, the better we can control
      them, the better we can restrain ourselves and pacify all those
      annoying, if correct, doomsday environmentalists and anti-
      materialists. Who knows? Thoughts?

      http://lcrw.net/wordpress/?p=325

      qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

      We have moved. Maybe you know this? Here is the new address again,
      just in case:

      Small Beer Press
      150 Pleasant St., #306
      Easthampton, MA 01027